Author Topic: Uno/Malnati Style Deep Dish Pizza  (Read 90134 times)

Offline buzz

Re: Uno/Malnati Style Deep Dish Pizza
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 11:14:09 AM »
Bearfootie--

I always knead my deep dish by hand, too--great fun! You should be able to mix a small batch very quickly--if I make a dough based on 1.5 cups flour, for example, I can mix it (just getting the flour and liquids to come together) in about 30 seconds. After that I knead a Giordano's (or Gino's East)-style for exactly 2 minutes--it comes out into a pretty smooth round ball.

For an Uno's/Malnati's style, I would try kneading for even less time, as their crust seems "looser", or even more biscuit-like than Giordano's/Uno's (which tend to taste more pie-like). You can try 1 minute or 1.5 minutes. Also, I would make sure you have enough oil (at least the rato of 3 TBS: 1 cup flour) if you want to duplicate the greasiness of their restaurant taste. Uno's uses soybean oil; Malnati's uses corn oil. if you experiment, you'll hit on it!

Have fun!

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »
I just tried this recipe at the start of this thread last night.  It was the best pizza I've ever made.  Definetly the closest to real Uno's/Malnati's deep dish pizza.  The crust was nice, flaky and crisp, something I've not been that successful at duplicating until now.  The only thing I changed was to add maybe 1-2 T of sugar to the recipe.  Really really good pizza.  Thanks so much.  I'd attach pictures, but I can't seem to get them below 128kb..

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
reduce the size, that should help. 3" wide works well.

Offline bearfootie

• Is Pizza All I Think About? Wellllllll Yeah!!!!
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 03:03:10 AM »
Have to make another stab at it this weekend. I'd love to try a recipe, and make it every day, varying it to see what the differences would be, to keep the differences fresh in my mind, but I'm afraid others in the house, who already think I'm obsessive, wouldn't tolerate eating pizza daily. (Although I could quite easily) Thanks Buzz.

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
Ha!  Boy does that sound familiar.  Last night was the fourth night in a row for deep dish pizza.  I'm starting to have to make two dinners so my kids can eat something else.  They think I'm crazy.   :-D

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »
1 cup warm water
1 tsp active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups AP flour
4 tablespoons Corn Oil

Combine the water, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large bowl. Mix with a large wooden spoon. Add the oil and remaining flour. With the wooden spoon or your hands mix the ingredients together until the dough holds its shape. You may need a bit less flour, so add the last half gradually.

I actually have a question about this recipe. I'm trying to double the amount of dough using this recipe. Is it as simple as doubling all the ingredients? I didn't know if you should use twice as much yeast, or how that worked.

I have to say again that this recipe rocks. I made another pizza last night and it was way better than any pizza I've ever eaten as Lou's. And I've been dining there for well over 20 years. This recipe coupled with all the other advice and suggestions really makes an amazing pizza. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:45:15 PM by Steve »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »
You can more or less double it.  I believe in look and feel so if you have made the recipe before double the water, oil, and yeast.  Add the last cup or so of flour slowly untill you get the right feel.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline bearfootie

• Is Pizza All I Think About? Wellllllll Yeah!!!!
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:55 AM »
DKM,
I made the above Jan post recipe but ended up with dough that was more breadlike and soft. I proofed the yeast for 5 minutes in 110 degree water, but otherwise followed all your instructions.  During the 3-4 counter rise it really rose a lot. Could the proofing have been the problem? I made your June recipe with the 24 hr. frig rise and the semolina and the crust was denser and didn't rise hardly at all in the frig. Liked this texture. The corn oil in the last recipe improved the flavor though.
Was wondering what would happen if I substituted beer for part of the water in my next attempt to get a more flavorful, yeasty, crust. Would this make the dough rise even more?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »
Bearfootie I am always amazed that someone would NOT follow a recipe then ask why it didn't work.  Try the recipe as it was written, first, don't assume you know more than the author of the recipe.

Randy

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
I made the above Jan post recipe but ended up with dough that was more breadlike and soft. I proofed the yeast for 5 minutes in 110 degree water, but otherwise followed all your instructions. During the 3-4 counter rise it really rose a lot. Could the proofing have been the problem? I made your June recipe with the 24 hr. frig rise and the semolina and the crust was denser and didn't rise hardly at all in the frig. Liked this texture. The corn oil in the last recipe improved the flavor though.
Was wondering what would happen if I substituted beer for part of the water in my next attempt to get a more flavorful, yeasty, crust. Would this make the dough rise even more?

Sorry, but gotta agree with Randy: if you don't follow the recipe, including the procedure, you can't expect similar results.

For one thing, 110 water means that the dough temp is going to be much higher than in DKM's directions. According to General Mills, for every 15 increase in dough temp. up to 100, the fermentation rate doubles. Secondly, if you proof the yeast before using it, it's already fully hydrated and active when it hits the flour, so it will begin working much sooner than unproofed yeast, as in DKM's recipe. To compensate for both of these factors, you would need to shorten the proof time significantly to achieve DKM's results.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »
I would agree that the issue was the temp of the water and proofing the yeast. If you are using a yeast that needs proofing, do it in about 80o water.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2006, 11:58:33 AM »
Made this again last night and it was delicious.   Not sure I have the dough quite right as far as how much flour.

DKM, would you say your dough for this recipe is little dryer than wetter.  That is, should the dough ball slump a bit or stand tall?

Randy

Offline Slamdunkpro

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2006, 10:36:51 PM »
Made this today, we like the DKM recipe but I wanted to try this one as well. Results below:

A couple of questions: (Yes, I followed the recipe)

When I mixed it up the dough was very wet almost soupy: I ended up adding almost another full cup of flour.  After the rise it was still extremely wet.  I am reading 1.5 cups water correctly yes?

Second, and this applies to both the DKM and the UNO dough; Im having a problem with slope on the sides where the dough is settling into the corners creating a large dough area. Too wet a mixture? Im assuming so since most Chicago places Ive been to use a sheeter. Im guessing this may also have to do with using a sloped sided pan (only one I could find until today, steel straight sides on order)

All in all we found the UNO recipe a little gummy and prefer the original DKM one on the front page.

<Sigh> I guess Ill just have to try some more!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
Nice looking pizza.

Glad you followed the recipe.  I came down a little hard on barefooting about that and shouldn't have.

If this helps until DKM can post, I know he uses a scooped cup of flour making each one of his cups of flour a little more than one oz heavier than spoon filled cup.  The scooped and leveled method of measuring flour seems to be more common now than the spoon and level method.  Also keep in mind that hand kneading on a floured board adds quite a bit of flour to the dough.

For the recipe DKM listed on the first post of this thread I used 13 oz of KAAP flour.  Next time I am going to use 13.5 oz of flour.

Buy you a scale and life becomes much easier.

Randy

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »
When I mixed it up the dough was very wet almost soupy: I ended up adding almost another full cup of flour.  After the rise it was still extremely wet.  I am reading 1.5 cups water correctly yes?

Where are you reading 1.5 c water? I scanned the thread, so maybe I missed it, but all I could find was 1 c water/2.5 c flour. (FWIW, even at 1 c, I find the dough extremely wet.)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2006, 01:39:27 PM »
I couldn't find 1 1/2 c. water either. However, DKM said in one of his posts that his cup of flour averages 5.5 ounces. That would be a total of 13.75 ounces, which is close to the figure that Randy mentioned.

Peter

Offline Slamdunkpro

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2006, 02:00:03 PM »
1 c water
Well that explaines the wet dough  :-[

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »
Randy, it's a little dryer than my personal recipe.

Slamdunkpro, yep, too much water, it happens :)

I've never used sloped edge pans, but I know people have problems with them. One thing to try is when you pull the dough up with your fingers make sure you press it against the edge.  I never oil the edge of the pan, I just use what ever oil is on the dough from the bottom of the pan.

DKM

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »
Buzz and DKM,
So how does one balance between mixing and kneading. Another words when does too much handling start to become kneading? I do it all by hand so maybe I need a total handling time for a two pan pizza recipe for my Lou/Uno like crust.

I'm sorry I totaly missed this post.  For me once it has come together as a single peice of dough it is done.

Also DKM, your oil ratio is down on your Jan Post for Lou's verses your June Post for Lou's that I orginally used. Haven't tried this one yet, but is the crust lighter cause I really like the June recipe but always looking for the perfect Lou's! Definitely don't want a lighter crust so please advise!

Yes, it is lighter.  In this case I just went with a recipe that someone else gave me.  Now the person worked with the final product for years and had a good feel for it.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2006, 01:11:10 PM »
Thanks for the input DKM, will up the flour weight to 14 oz and that should get me close.  It ballons too much at the top when I used 13 0z 0f flour.

Randy