Author Topic: Seafood Pizza  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
Seafood Pizza
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:02:52 AM »
Steve,

Let me be the first to try this...

Pic of last Friday's Seafood Pizza. Clams, shrimp, garlic, EVOO, parm, mozz, parsley, very little sauce.
200g dough yielded this 8.5 inch beauty!

Walt

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Attaching images to posts
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »
Steve,

Let me be the first to try this...

Pic of last Friday's Seafood Pizza. Clams, shrimp, garlic, EVOO, parm, mozz, parsley, very little sauce.
200g dough yielded this 8.5 inch beauty!

Walt

And what a beauty it is!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
Good Morning Gualtiero;
The picture turned out perfect (Of course the pizza had to turn out perfect for the picture to  ;D).  Was this your own dough formula?  Would you share the recipe?  Thanks.....
Buffalo

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »
Buff,

The dough formula actually belongs to King Arthur, here's the link: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/getrecipe.php?id=R297

I follow this recipe with the following changes:
1. I use ADY (cause that's all I have right now)
2. Halve the amount of yeast in final prep
3. 24-hour poolish rest
4. Combine ingredients, knead in Kitchen Aid mixer for 10 minutes, let rest for 10 minutes (covered)
5. Knead in Kitchen Aid for 10-15 mins more. Or hand knead for 15 mins. (I tend to hand knead dough briskly, so your times may vary)
6. Place into LIGHTLY oiled bowl, set in fridge, covered, 24 hours minimum.

Also, I don't use oil or sugar, trying to keep to tradition. I have made this recipe with oil and sugar, it turned out fine.
OMIT the Dough Flavoring - ACK, that can't be good!

This should yeild about 3 (three) 200g-230g pizza crusts.

Enjoy!

Walt
BTW - I am constantly tweeking this recipe. Just got some Patsy's starter from Jeff V. can't wait to give that  a spin!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:43:29 AM by Gualtiero »

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »
Oh, crank up your oven as high as it'll go...mine does 550 deg. And use a stone. If you don't have one, GET ONE!!!

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Seafood Pizza
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
Gualtiero;
Thanks very much for the info/recipe.........Can hardly wait to try it...hope mine comes out looing like yours......Again, that is one great looking pizza. ;D
Buffalo

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
Gualtiero,

Very appetizing indeed! I have been considering a seafood pizza for sometime now and I think your photo has just convinced me to do one tonight. I have 3 doughballs in the fridge now since tuesday morning (Ischia starter dough) so one of them is going to get made up just like yours. I'll post photos later.

Thanks for the nudge! ;)

Dan

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »
Here's whatcha gotta do:

Put some EVOO in a saucepan
Saute the garlic (about 1 clove per can of clams) till golden, BUT NOT BROWN
Add clams (recommend Doxsee brand), shrimp, and whatever to saucepan.
Add FRESH chopped parsley
Cook seafood about 75% complete - will finish in the oven - clams WILL get tough if overcooked!
Form dough into crust
Coat evenly with EVOO and put some juice from the seafood mix on there too! ~ the secret step ;-)
Parbake crust about 4 mins (I know it's sacreligious, but when the oven only goes to 550, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do!)
Pull from oven, add VERY LITTLE (less than 1/4 cup) red sauce (optional), seafood mix (DRAINED), parmesean cheese, and VERY LITTLE mozzarella, BAM some more parsely on there too if you want to.
Back into oven, remove when cheese melts or crust browns to your liking (whichever comes first)...

Enjoy!

Walt
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:34:10 PM by Gualtiero »

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »
Okay, last night we made the seafood pizza (among others) and although I don't think it came out quite as "good-looking" as yours Gualtiero, I must say it tasted pretty darned good, if not great. I did par-bake the crust as you suggested but I won't do it next time. Maybe a difference in our ovens/stone combination but it definately would have burned the crust had I waited for the cheese to adequately melt. But aside from that, this is a winner. I think though I overloaded the toppings but that is a hurdle I may never get over. I know that less is more but man, as I get to throwing that topping on, whatever it is, I just can't keep from going overboard. I will work on that. Some more.

Dan

PS. My wife was a little reluctant when I told her I was putting clams on the pie. But when the pizza hit the plate, she was right there! :-D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:03 PM »
Dan,

I'm impressed. That's a great looking pizza.

I'm glad you stuck with the Ischia. What dough formulation are you using these days?  Your crusts have become increasingly better, or so it seems to me. You may have to go professional :chef:.

Peter

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »
Dan,

Excellent!!! Are you sure you haven't made this before?? Looks better than mine in many respects. You got me up against the ropes already!

If you keep making this one, it'll soon become a house favorite! As far as too much topping on a Seafood Pizza ~ can't happen! 

Now think about lobster, crab, fried calamari, scallops, GO NUTS!

If you have any questions, or you noticed something that you'd like to fix or improve, just let me know, we can work it out!

Congrats on a fine lookin' pie!

Walt
BTW are you in the Phila PA area?

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 11:35:21 AM »
Dan,

I'm impressed. That's a great looking pizza.

I'm glad you stuck with the Ischia. What dough formulation are you using these days?  Your crusts have become increasingly better, or so it seems to me. You may have to go professional :chef:.

Peter

Thanks for the compliments Peter. I am using the recipe from Ed's book for the sourdough starters. I have been having great success using the Ischia and a modified version of his "World Bread" recipe, in fact we haven't bought a commercial loaf of bread in over three months. My family loves this bread for anything from sandwiches to french toast. Then I make fresh breadcrumbs with the end pieces and use them in various stuffings. Very tasy indeed.

As far as the sourdough pizza. The first time I tried it we had mixed reviews here but I perservered and now I think we enjoy them at least as well as the commercial yeast recipes. I have noticed that many of you folks here use a combination of preferment and IDY (in very small amounts) and this is something I plan on investigating further. The one thing I had deviated from Ed's recipe on the pizza dough was to add two teaspoons of sugar. I did not do this on the last batch of dough (including the one pictured) and there was no problem getting a good browning crust.

I am now using the KASL (thanks in big part to you) which as you may remember I was having trouble finding but finally did get over to G&S Foods in Los Angeles (Vernon actually) and they set me up with an account and were very pleasant to deal with. 50# bag for $14.50. They said next time I can call ahead and it will be waiting for me in will call. They were really bustling the time I was there and I had to wait over half an hour for the sack, but well worth the wait and the drive. I am using the KASL in my bread recipes too and really appreciate the improvement.

Next I need to get the Camadoli starter going. It is still in it's foil pouch waiting patiently in the fridge. I have delayed getting it going mostly because I don't want to end up with another two or three quart jars in the fridge to deal with. On the subject of cultures. You are aware I am sure of the two types of cultures that Ed uses. A liquid, which seems to be the most popular and the other a sponge. I am having far more success using the sponge. In fact I haven't even refreshed the liquid batch since I started using the sponge. I can get a "working culture" ready in less than a day right from the fridge.

As far as going pro. Funny you should say that, after spending an entire career in the manufacturing business (aircraft/aerospace tooling) I went in to my office one Monday morning just before Thanksgiving and was told my position as President of the company I had been with for going on twenty-two years was being vacated by me to make room for the owner's son. He cut me loose without even a parachute and now approaching fifty I seem to find myself in  a predicament. I am apparently over-qualified for many positions and under-qualified for all the others. So I have been trying to convince my wife that it may be time to consider a career change for me. WOW! Talk about scary. :o I am sure this is my passion. Whether it be cooking a pot of soup or baking a loaf of bread, I have never been happier than when I dawn my chefs apron and start slicing and dicing. Putting pizzas together has been a joy for me for over a dozen years. My only concern is not having an ounce of experience in the food service industry. What would be ideal would be to find that seasoned individual :angel: who has been wanting to break away from his/her job in the pizza/restaurant business and give it a try on their own.  :) Heck, if successful  romantic relationships can be forged on the internet there must be a place to find this person I am looking for.

I think maybe I have just begun my quest, ;)

Dan

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 11:41:49 AM »
Dan,

Excellent!!! Are you sure you haven't made this before?? Looks better than mine in many respects. You got me up against the ropes already!

If you keep making this one, it'll soon become a house favorite! As far as too much topping on a Seafood Pizza ~ can't happen! 

Now think about lobster, crab, fried calamari, scallops, GO NUTS!

If you have any questions, or you noticed something that you'd like to fix or improve, just let me know, we can work it out!

Congrats on a fine lookin' pie!
Walt
BTW are you in the Phila PA area?

Thank you Walt  for the inspiration on this one. You are exactly on point regarding the use of other shellfish. The first thing my wife said was "Hey, clams but no scallops?" I told her maybe next time.......... Ya' gotta' keep 'em wantin' for more! :-D

I am in Southern California. A good ways from Philly.. ;D

Dan

pizzapan