Author Topic: Some attempts  (Read 895 times)

Offline WildHomer

• I Love Pizza!
Some attempts
« on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:52 AM »
Please excuse the misleading title for now. For now I'm only putting one attempt up here, but tomorrow will add another ... and maybe a third on Saturday if I'm not sick of pizza by then (can that happen?). Anyway, turned in my MA thesis on Wednesday and decided I wanted pizza, beer, and hockey. I decided to give c0mpl3x' emergency NY style dough a try. His recipe:

100% flour
65% water
1.2% yeast (ady)
1.6% salt
1% sugar
2.3% oil.

I aimed for a 13" pie with a TF of .1 or .09. I can't remember what I put in the dough calculator and didn't make note of it. I pre-heated my 14 inch stone for about an hour as high as my oven would go, which is about 550 degrees. I've had good results putting my pizza stone on the lowest rack. Two slots up (in the middle rack) I put a cookie sheet. The pie bake for 5:30, but I think I could have knocked 30 seconds off of that, if not more. The pictures aren't the best, but I hope they'll do. I wish I had a bigger stone (or a piece of steel) to do bigger pies, but maybe in the future. For now I'm stuck with 13ish inches.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Some attempts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
WildHomer,

It looks like your pizza turned out well. Did you like it?

Also, can you tell us what type and brand of flour you used?

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
WildHomer, 13" is my pie of choice. For 2 people, I cut into 8 slices. Your crust looks nice, good color and oven spring.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
Looks great, how did it taste?

Offline WildHomer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments and questions! I used King Arthur Bread Flour, Peter. It tasted quite good for something that only had a few hours to develop its flavor. I made another two dough balls that I let cold ferment. Recipe is below. The attached pictures are of the first dough ball, which had about 25 hours in the fridge and two on the counter before being thrown around in the air and into the oven. I will be trying the second ball tonight to see what an additional 24 hours of cold fermenting does.

Flour 100%
Water 64%
ADY .7%
Salt 1.5%
Oil 1%
Sugar 1%

I roughly followed Jackie Tran's kneading/autolyse instructions. Proofed yeast. Mixed all wet and dry until almost fully combined. Let it sit for 15 minutes. A few minutes of rough kneading to get it to combine. 10 minutes or so of rest. Another few minutes of rough kneading. Rested 10ish minutes. Divided dough up in to two. Balled. Five minute rest. Re-balled and tossed in the fridge.

The final dough weight was supposed to be 677g to make a 13 inch pie with a TF of .09. I lost a bit of weight (will adjust next time) and ended up with 653g of dough. I probably ended up stretching the skin closer to 12.5~ inches, too, instead of 13. My pizza stone is actually closer to 13" (just a hair bigger). While I'm decent enough with a peel, I don't trust myself to launch a 13 inch pie onto a 13 inch stone, so making it .5" smaller helps.

I pre-heated the oven as high as it goes (550 F) for an hour. Same setup as in my last post. Launched the dough and baked for about 4 minutes. The bottom was done at this point but I wanted a little more top crust browning, so I moved it on top of the cookie sheet beneath the broiler where it sat for another 1:30-2:00. Next time I will start pre-heating the broiler about 3:00~ into the bake, move it up at 4 minutes, and hopefully be able to pull it out at 5 minutes total bake/broil time. It tasted great. There was a very nice "droop" of the lower half of each slice. Cheese was done how I like it and nice bottom browning. I would have liked a slightly more airy crumb (forgot to take a photo, sorry!), but even this wasn't too bad. Good amount of chewiness. Had not my Wild played their worst game all year it might have tasted even better.  ;D

If anyone has advice for the kneading stage of things I'd appreciate it. I don't have a stand mixer like most folks on this forum seem to, so I've had some trouble finding consistent kneading instructions. Any other thoughts and questions are certainly welcome!

(Also, sorry for the gross cut on my thumb one of these pictures. Good thing I work in a private kitchen serving one.)