Author Topic: Gottabedapan vs. Lehmann Dough: The Rematch  (Read 1619 times)

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Gottabedapan vs. Lehmann Dough: The Rematch
« on: January 26, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Gottabedapan vs. Lehmann Dough: The Rematch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:32:04 PM »
gottabedapan,

Looking at your results, I would say that you are well on your way. Nice job.

As they say, the devil is in the detail. And if you can master the detail, you will always enjoy success in your pizza making. Let us know if there is some aspect of the process that can be covered more fully or better explained.

Peter

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »

The most important change I made—at least to my mind—was to mix the flour and IDY into the water and salt (put the salt and water into the mixing bowl BEFORE adding the flour and IDY), instead of following my usual procedure of starting with half the flour and the IDY in the bowl and adding the water to that.

hmm that's interesting

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:10:16 AM »
The most important change I made—at least to my mind—was to mix the flour and IDY into the water and salt (put the salt and water into the mixing bowl BEFORE adding the flour and IDY), instead of following my usual procedure of starting with half the flour and the IDY in the bowl and adding the water to that.

hmm that's interesting

The reason I believe it's the most important change is that putting in the water first means you're mixing the flour into the water, rather than mixing the water into the flour, as you would with my usual procedure.

As I said, I've never been able to get the contact patch when I put the flour in first, but this time, it formed almost immediately and held up 'til the very end of the mixing. I would venture a guess that with my usual procedure, the flour soaks up most of the water before it (the water) gets to the bottom of the bowl and the wet mass ends up clinging to the dough hook and pushed around in circles, instead of being anchored to the bowl and being stretched and pulled (kneaded). BWTHDIK. :-D

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:18:54 AM »
The reason I believe it's the most important change is that putting in the water first means you're mixing the flour into the water, rather than mixing the water into the flour, as you would with my usual procedure.

Actually I never thought about it mixing (flour in water) or (water in flour).
I have always done the mix (four in water) method and never had problems.
I think you could have found something that seems like it wouldn't matter but it does.

Interesting.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.