Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 616264 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
Someone state before that it's important to turn the motor on before firing and to always keep it on or something will melt or break or the like. Was it earlier in this thread? Maybe I read it somewhere else? Either way, just a reminder.

See reply 5 of this thread.

It is all just Chihuahuas yapping until we see the pizza.  I have seen the 2-stone pizzas....

Do you doubt Thomas?  ;)  It's just a matter of balancing the heat.  Pizza doesn't care what the source of heat is as long as it's balanced right?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:36:48 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
Pics or it never happened, rule #1 of the innernets.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
Pics or it never happened, rule #1 of the innernets.

Soon my man!  ;D. What style do you want? NP, hybrid, NY?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »

NP, I can cook anything else in a 20 buck Webber.

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
And I thought I was done buying pizza stuff. Just ordered a oven from the Guru..This is my third oven, please no more new fancy things i must have. lol :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
Well I received it and have now gone to install it.

It seems as if the tray was welded crooked to the shaft so that part of the tray is a bit higher than the other. You can see the right half of the tray is higher than the left, even though it kind of looks level because i took the picture a bit crooked.  Hopefully it doesn't affect performance.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:03:35 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
Well worked well. I'm going to be honest, the results blew me away. I don't think I could have hoped for better for my first bake in a $360 oven. I definitely know theres a lot of room to improve, but like I said, I was happy with the results.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
Booya!

That is what their ad should have looked like.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
Jeff what mods did you have to do? Did you elevate the stone? I'm about to do my first bake.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
looking very promising

very nice first pizza Jeff
Deb

Offline pt

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Well worked well. I'm going to be honest, the results blew me away. I don't think I could have hoped for better for my first bake in a $360 oven. I definitely know theres a lot of room to improve, but like I said, I was happy with the results.

Very nice!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Looks very good.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »
Jeff what mods did you have to do? Did you elevate the stone? I'm about to do my first bake.

The stone can be elevated to any height by changing the collar, so there is no standard height. Mine is about 1 inch high. Here is the other thing, I didn't cook it at full heat, and I cooked it in 60 seconds flat. I bet it could do 45 seconds or so.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
The stone can be elevated to any height by changing the collar, so there is no standard height. Mine is about 1 inch high. Here is the other thing, I didn't cook it at full heat, and I cooked it in 60 seconds flat. I bet it could do 45 seconds or so.

What is the distance of the gap now and what was the stone temp in the middle of the stone? My oven is heating up now.  Ill post pics soon as I can.  I did the same thing.  I use a 1" copper tubing and slipped it over the rotator shaft to elevate the metal base that the bottom stone sits on.  I also doubled up the stone.  Might be overkill tho.

Update - go ahead and adjust the collar on the shaft down a bit.  You will see this collar when you lift the bottom steel plate up and out.  The bottom plate, out of the box, sits on the metal lip of the mouth opening.  This causes friction and prevents the stone from turning.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:34:50 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
What is the distance of the gap now and what was the stone temp in the middle of the stone? My oven is heating up now.  Ill post pics soon as I can.  I did the same thing.  I use a 1" copper tubing and slipped it over the rotator shaft to elevate the metal base that the bottom stone sits on.  I also doubled up the stone.  Might be overkill tho.

what do you mean by "What is the distance of the gap now"? I'm just saying for my setup the tray has 1 inch of clearance when spinning. All you have to do to adjust it is take an allen wrench to the collar and then adjust the height. Also I used my IR gun but I couldn't get it to read over 710F. Even when shooting it straight at the hottest part where the flame was hitting it was saying the same temp as the middle of the stone. When I bought my gun it said it went to over 1000F??

Offline slybarman

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
All you have to do to adjust it is take an allen wrench to the collar and then adjust the height.

Sounds like the JRo may have missed that adjustment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:30:36 PM by slybarman »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

Wow that looks good. Nice work Jefferey. 

I'm thinking late Father's Day present to myself! 

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:28:14 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Well worked well.

Nicely done!

Had I known what it was capable of I wouldn't have waited for it to go on sale.

Is your tray still crooked?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Is your tray still crooked?

Ya it is. But I don't think it is crooked enough to try and get a new one because I didn't see any impact on the results.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
Some video would be awesome, if anyone has a camera laying around. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline JRo

« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »

Sounds like the JRo may have missed that adjustment.

Pizzas look great, Jeff.   I made dough this weekend and fired about 10 pies with the rest of the family for Father's Day.  It's been quite a while since I've made dough, my technique needs some work again.  Overall I was happy with the performance of the oven.

As far as adjusting the stone height, I initially adjusted the collar as Jeff mentioned, but seemed like it wouldn't go as high as I wanted.  First the little piece of square shaft that connects the motor and the carousel wasn't long enough, and then when I lengthened that, the platform didn't seem as stable if you raised it up out of the lower guide hole.   I could get it where I wanted by lowering the platform back down and putting something under the stone.

I was happy with the top/bottom heat balance, just need better dough.  I have a new batch of starters, some 00 flour, and a Bosch mixer on their way... :)

Can't wait to see what Chau comes up with now.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Sorry Jeff.  I meant what is the distance between gap separating the two stones? Mine is currently 3 1/4"   ok here are my results.  First pie.  Hearth temp of 800f.  Bake was 90sec.  I could have pulled it at 45 or 60 but the rim was too light for me.  Pretty even bake.  This was a 24hr dough made with starter. Ill post the next few pies in a min.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
Here's a tip.  After the first bake, turn the heat down while you're eating the first pie and let the stone cool down a bit.  2nd pie was loaded at 830f and also a 90sec pie.  Slightly too hot for the bottom.  Slight imbalance of heat here.  This dough was a 12hr dough with starter.  My NP dough needs work. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:23:10 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
Chau,

Nice work...you will have this oven perfected in no time!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
3rd pie is a NYer.  Dough is 75/25 OO/HG mix.  Bottom stone temp is 675f for a 4min. bake.  Hard to load a 15" pie on my 16" stone because the back wall limits the unloading motion.  This was a pretty good pie.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:26:53 AM by Jackie Tran »