Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 345515 times)

Offline pt

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Well worked well. I'm going to be honest, the results blew me away. I don't think I could have hoped for better for my first bake in a $360 oven. I definitely know theres a lot of room to improve, but like I said, I was happy with the results.

Very nice!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Looks very good.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »
Jeff what mods did you have to do? Did you elevate the stone? I'm about to do my first bake.

The stone can be elevated to any height by changing the collar, so there is no standard height. Mine is about 1 inch high. Here is the other thing, I didn't cook it at full heat, and I cooked it in 60 seconds flat. I bet it could do 45 seconds or so.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
The stone can be elevated to any height by changing the collar, so there is no standard height. Mine is about 1 inch high. Here is the other thing, I didn't cook it at full heat, and I cooked it in 60 seconds flat. I bet it could do 45 seconds or so.

What is the distance of the gap now and what was the stone temp in the middle of the stone? My oven is heating up now.  Ill post pics soon as I can.  I did the same thing.  I use a 1" copper tubing and slipped it over the rotator shaft to elevate the metal base that the bottom stone sits on.  I also doubled up the stone.  Might be overkill tho.

Update - go ahead and adjust the collar on the shaft down a bit.  You will see this collar when you lift the bottom steel plate up and out.  The bottom plate, out of the box, sits on the metal lip of the mouth opening.  This causes friction and prevents the stone from turning.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:34:50 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
What is the distance of the gap now and what was the stone temp in the middle of the stone? My oven is heating up now.  Ill post pics soon as I can.  I did the same thing.  I use a 1" copper tubing and slipped it over the rotator shaft to elevate the metal base that the bottom stone sits on.  I also doubled up the stone.  Might be overkill tho.

what do you mean by "What is the distance of the gap now"? I'm just saying for my setup the tray has 1 inch of clearance when spinning. All you have to do to adjust it is take an allen wrench to the collar and then adjust the height. Also I used my IR gun but I couldn't get it to read over 710F. Even when shooting it straight at the hottest part where the flame was hitting it was saying the same temp as the middle of the stone. When I bought my gun it said it went to over 1000F??

Offline slybarman

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
All you have to do to adjust it is take an allen wrench to the collar and then adjust the height.

Sounds like the JRo may have missed that adjustment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:30:36 PM by slybarman »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Well worked well. I'm going to be honest, the results blew me away. I don't think I could have hoped for better for my first bake in a $360 oven. I definitely know theres a lot of room to improve, but like I said, I was happy with the results.

Wow that looks good. Nice work Jefferey. 

I'm thinking late Father's Day present to myself! 

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:28:14 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Well worked well.

Nicely done!

Had I known what it was capable of I wouldn't have waited for it to go on sale.

Is your tray still crooked?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Is your tray still crooked?

Ya it is. But I don't think it is crooked enough to try and get a new one because I didn't see any impact on the results.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
Some video would be awesome, if anyone has a camera laying around. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline JRo

« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »

Sounds like the JRo may have missed that adjustment.

Pizzas look great, Jeff.   I made dough this weekend and fired about 10 pies with the rest of the family for Father's Day.  It's been quite a while since I've made dough, my technique needs some work again.  Overall I was happy with the performance of the oven.

As far as adjusting the stone height, I initially adjusted the collar as Jeff mentioned, but seemed like it wouldn't go as high as I wanted.  First the little piece of square shaft that connects the motor and the carousel wasn't long enough, and then when I lengthened that, the platform didn't seem as stable if you raised it up out of the lower guide hole.   I could get it where I wanted by lowering the platform back down and putting something under the stone.

I was happy with the top/bottom heat balance, just need better dough.  I have a new batch of starters, some 00 flour, and a Bosch mixer on their way... :)

Can't wait to see what Chau comes up with now.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Sorry Jeff.  I meant what is the distance between gap separating the two stones? Mine is currently 3 1/4"   ok here are my results.  First pie.  Hearth temp of 800f.  Bake was 90sec.  I could have pulled it at 45 or 60 but the rim was too light for me.  Pretty even bake.  This was a 24hr dough made with starter. Ill post the next few pies in a min.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
Here's a tip.  After the first bake, turn the heat down while you're eating the first pie and let the stone cool down a bit.  2nd pie was loaded at 830f and also a 90sec pie.  Slightly too hot for the bottom.  Slight imbalance of heat here.  This dough was a 12hr dough with starter.  My NP dough needs work. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:23:10 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
Chau,

Nice work...you will have this oven perfected in no time!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
3rd pie is a NYer.  Dough is 75/25 OO/HG mix.  Bottom stone temp is 675f for a 4min. bake.  Hard to load a 15" pie on my 16" stone because the back wall limits the unloading motion.  This was a pretty good pie.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:26:53 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
Posted by: Jackie Tran
3rd pie is a NYer.

Yup...this one would be my preference...very nice!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
My impressions of this oven? Like Marc said about his 2stone.  The results are close to wfo, very close.  Pluses: low cost, you don't have to do a 3-4hr warm up.  Negatives: you don't have the ambiance and experience of a wfo.  Building and maintaining the fire is fun and relaxing.  Chopping wood is relaxing.  The wfo provides a slightly more even bake.    You can bake more than 1 pie at a time and not limited to the size of pizza. 

Blackstone versus LBE.  This blackstone and presumably the 2stone is much easier to bake in and you get better results than the LBE.  I was able to apply a lot of what I learned from building and baking in the LBE though.  This is a very good pizza oven for the price.  Only time will tell if it holds up or not.  Here is a photo of the bracket holding the baffle and top stone.  It is directly in the line of fire.  Not sure how long it will hold out under direct heat.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:15:12 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »
Awesome Chau!  I bet those pies are better than 99% of pizzas available within 200 miles of here.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
Chau,

It looks like you had no problems using it either. Nice pizzas. I went and measured my stones, and right now they are about 4.5 inches apart. So much more than yours. I will make dough tonight and try moving it up and see if it gets some extra top heat for me. The bottom was too done for me on my pie and it was only 60 seconds.

What would you think would happen if  the stone was preheated a touch colder then right when loading the flame was blasted? This seems like it could dome the pizza more and the stone would be slower to pass the heat and it could speed up the top?

Also, I need better cheese... my melt isn't near as good as yours.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
Jeffrey, you are right on the money.  Load at a lower temp and blast it after the load.  Forget about doming the pie in this oven. It's not an efficient or effective technique in this oven.  Not the same as doming a pie in a wfo.  But I would also raise the bottom stone to decrease the gap between the 2 stones.

Thank you Bill and Falcor.  Bill that is way too kind.  My NP dough still needs work tho.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:29:52 AM by Jackie Tran »