Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 347670 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »
Played around with decreasing the gap between the 2 stones tonight and did my 2nd bake.  I did 2 NY first then 2 NP.   This is a very easy oven to bake with.  I'm already use to loading the pies while the stone is rotating. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
Okay so I have an update. I used the oven again and this is the fifth time in three days. I never have run it for more than 25 minutes in a sitting and I have never run it on completely full blast. I am already seeing some wear from such little use.
The heat shield isn't looking great and you can sit bits of metal that have started flake off. Also if you look down at the support cross bar, it's hard to see, but little holes are forming. So maybe it will just have a bit of wear and tear like this.... or maybe worse. That support bar holds up the heat shield. So it needs to hold up. Also if a hole forms in the heat shield the oven really won't work because it won't pass the air over the top.
Have any other members noticed any of this?

On a side note, this is the white pizza I was making when I noticed.

EDIT: Chau can you please stop posting at the same time as me?? This is the second time today haha  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:58:09 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
Still not hitting 60sec bakes.  These went for 90 sec.   The 2nd one was Craig's mushroom and truffle oil pie.  Very good flavor.   I'm still not thrilled with my NP dough.  Oh well, ill keep practicing.  :-\  first one was loaded at 760F and 2nd one at 830.  I think 800f is the sweetspot in mine.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
I'm being tempted here, pies are looking great and for the price, no disrespect to Will and the 2 Stone, but price talks and a guy could buy 10 of these for the price of the high end 2Stone or a WFO. The breakdown thing concerns me though. I wonder how hard or easy it would be to put a little extra shielding in there at the hi heat points/areas??

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
Probably not hard Jon.  That cross bar could be replaced with a small piece of rebar.  And the shield can easily be patched with a piece of sheet metal. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2013, 12:35:02 AM »
Chau you notice it?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2013, 12:44:06 AM »
Chau you notice it?

I haven't looked.  It's dark outside now.  I'll check it out tomorrow but I've only had two bakes in it.  I'll bet you didn't get a defective model though.   ::)

scott123

« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
Does the stone sit flush in the rotating panel?  If it does, you can favor the top heat a bit more by raising it, just make sure you don't raise it too much or you'll lose the impact of the shielding, as Jro saw.  4 or 5 of stainless steel washers should do the trick.

This will allow you get a bit more relative heat to the dome while keeping the stone in a lower position, so that the side flames are maximized- which I believe could be an important part of the equation.

Also, I know that doming has been discouraged a bit in this thread, but I wouldn't give up on it yet.  If 800 ends up being the sweet spot for a 90 second bake without doming then perhaps 850 or 900 can make for a happy 60 second bake with doming towards the end- assuming, of course, the oven can reach those temps.  I think, eventually, as you continue to find ways to decrease the bake time, the 60K btu burner might start showing it's limitations. Maybe.

One thing to bear in mind regarding the gap between the stone and panel and doming... This will extend the pre-heat a bit, and, with a hotter dome, if high temps are causing components to fail, then this will exacerbate that. There's also aluminum above the top stone. If that hits 1100ish, you've got a problem. It also might impact recovery time between pies a bit (you might want to try thicker/thinner washers). I do think, though, that a very small gap and doming might make a difference in the balanced 60 second bake quest.

One last piece of advice.  The powder coating on the outer shell looks a bit iffy considering the potential temps it will be hitting.  I wouldn't store this outdoors.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:38:56 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
One last piece of advice.  The powder coating on the outer shell looks a bit iffy considering the potential temps it will be hitting.  I wouldn't store this outdoors.

My exact thoughts. I was already thinking of a spot in the garage for this IF I bite on it!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »
I was puzzled a bit by Blackstones statement about 400-500 being the optimum temperature (or something to that effect) and "heat up to 700f". I wonder if they know the internals cannot handle NP temps even though the burner is capable of it?

Offline pt

« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
I am not sure, but believe the 400-500 degree temps that they mention relates to the gauge on the oven.  If the gauge reads 400-500 the stone will be much higher.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
I am not sure, but believe the 400-500 degree temps that they mention relates to the gauge on the oven.  If the gauge reads 400-500 the stone will be much higher.
Fair point. Their statements about temp are pretty vague as to where they were referring to.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
Fair point. Their statements about temp are pretty vague as to where they were referring to.

Ya they are pretty vague. The gauge is at the very top of the unit above the upper stone and its' enclosure. So the gauge is in a separate area from where the pizza is being cooked. That is why the temp reads so much lower.

However I have noticed that it is useful for telling how ready the cooking area is. Just throw out any notion of the numbers being a temperature and just use them as a guide. If the thermometer is in the same place as a previous bake I will get about the same bake again. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »
Jeffrey, my shield is discolored but nothing flaking off yet.

Scott the stone does not sit flush against the heat shield where the flame comes up.   The gap between the stone and shield is closer in the very back but not flushed or blocking air/heat flow.   Are you talking about raising the stone or the shield.   Raising the shield won't help because it increases the gap between the floor and ceiling.

I think other members are getting 60s bakes.  It may have somthing to do with the size of the pie.  The bigger the pie, the closer the rim is to the heat source and the quicker it browns.

Scott are you sure the cap is aluminum? It feels light.  Can anyone else confirm this.  I looked at it this morning.  No damage yet.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:43:04 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »
Scott the stone does not sit flush against the heat shield where the flame comes up.   The gap between the stone and shiled is closer in the very back but not flushed or blocking air/heat flow.   Are you talking about raising the stone or the shield.   Raising the shield won't help bc it increases the gap between the floor and ceiling.

Sorry, I got my terms mixed up.  I meant rotating panel (see below).  Does the stone fit flush in the panel? If it does, then I recommend a small gap to favor the top heat a bit.

In the manual, the cover to the top stone says 'aluminum' (see below)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I hope someone will please post some clear pics of the chamber set-up (if it's even possible)....particularly, where the heat shield goes to; meets at top of aluminum cap/cover? Thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
If anyone wants more pics just let me know.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
I hope someone will please post some clear pics of the chamber set-up (if it's even possible)....particularly, where the heat shield goes to; meets at top of aluminum cap/cover? Thanks.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://imgur.com/a/2zIQT

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
More
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
Any of the burner itself?