Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 578360 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I hope someone will please post some clear pics of the chamber set-up (if it's even possible)....particularly, where the heat shield goes to; meets at top of aluminum cap/cover? Thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
If anyone wants more pics just let me know.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
I hope someone will please post some clear pics of the chamber set-up (if it's even possible)....particularly, where the heat shield goes to; meets at top of aluminum cap/cover? Thanks.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://imgur.com/a/2zIQT

Offline kevinbrown22

« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
More

Offline slybarman

« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
Any of the burner itself?

Offline kevinbrown22

« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
OK

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #282 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
Anyone have calipers to measure the diameter of the shaft of the rotating panel?

I want a ball bearing under the collar.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #283 on: June 20, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the nice pics Kevin and  dsissitka...appreciate.  8)

Chau, is it me or is the burner placement different in these pics? You reported about it being directly in path of the shield bar/bracket, no? Might just be the camera angle here.

The bottom stones deflector bowl has a brass color/coating to it, no? In brass brazing of differing metals; brass has a very high melting point. It is about the only way you can weld broken pot metal pieces back together. Interesting.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:59:19 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
Thanks for the nice pics Kevin and  dsissitka...appreciate.  8)

Ditto - good pics. I really liked this one. It really helps visualize where the heat is going.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:16:50 PM by slybarman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
It looks clear to me that an easy fix would be a bit thicker plate attached to that shield bracket(right where the flame is licking it) and extending up a few inches to protect the shield it self might be quite nice. A little 5x5 inch piece of maybe 10-12ga. metal, couple holes drilled through it and the bracket/arm, self taper screws.

This all sort of begs the question to me...what about another burner set-up with same mods as described as above placed over left on other side of oven? More even bake? Definitely would be no shortage of 60 sec. heat? Even faster/economical heat up?

Might not need heat shield mods with a dual burner set-up?

Let's blast these Blackstone Boys to da moon baby!   >:D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:46:14 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline kevinbrown22

« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »
Mmmph,
Looks like 23mm ~7/8th

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
Bob I think it's just the angle of the pic.  That bar that holds up the shield is in the path of the flame on mine.  After the bar gets heated up and turns red, you can see it a bit better.

Scott, the stone sits flush in the panel.  And yes decreasing the gap between the 2 stones helps with upper heat and crust browning.  That was the first suggestion I made to JRo.  I've got it down to 2 3/4" now but in only making 11" pies.  I may need to make 14" pies.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »

scott123

« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
Scott, the stone sits flush in the panel.  And yes decreasing the gap between the 2 stones helps with upper heat and crust browning.  That was the first suggestion I made to JRo.  I've got it down to 2 3/4" now but in only making 11" pies.  I may need to make 14" pies.

Chau, that's exactly what I'm counseling against.  I'm talking about lifting the stone off the panel by 1/8", max.  As you go higher, you lose the deflecting qualities of the panel, as Jro saw when he lifted his stone as high as you have it.

I'm not entirely against lifting the entire panel to close the vertical gap, but, as of now, I think raising the stone that high off the panel is a bad idea.  1/8" max- stainless steel washers.

Also, due to the fragility of the stones and the cracking that has occurred, I think it's possible that the stone this ships with might be a fibrament-ish cast refractory rather than the more durable kiln fired cordierite.  If that's the case, then I'd stick with the stone they give you because the conductivity will be lower, which will slow down the bottom bake.

Now, everything we're doing might end up handicapping the bottom too much, and the strength of the burner might not be able to pump out enough BTUs to compensate, but it's worth trying- for those that don't mind the remote possibility of melting their oven :)

Speaking of which, I'm not entirely certain what role the aluminum cover plays in this setup.  Perhaps if the top stone doesn't sit flush in the shield, the cover traps escaping hot air. If there aren't gaps, though, and one were pushing the oven to higher and higher temps, I might lose the cover, and, if there are gaps, you might want to track down a steel plate for a cover- perhaps 1/16" thick.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
Scott look at this picture and tell me if you think I'm losing the deflecting abilities of the panel.  The deflection seems similar to me independent if I let the stone sit in the panel versus lifting it 1" as shown in the picture.  To get the higher temps you've got to dial up the burner and the flames come out at such force, that gap under the stone makes little difference.  If you look carefully at the top stone, the flame reaches about 4" beyond the edge. 

But you are right that you lose some deflection as you go higher because the oem stone is 16.5" and raising decreases the gap between the shield (baffle) and the bottom stone.  That is why I'm using my 16" stone for now because it widens the gap between stone edge and shield allowing more flames to slip by and lick the roof.

scott123

« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »
Chau, just once, try their stone, with stainless steel washers creating a slight gap, at 850-900, if you can reach it.  If it doesn't trim your bake time/improve your heat balance, then you can go back to this.

Just once  :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Can/will that burner rotate just a hair...enough to get the flame off the shield bracket.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #293 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
Chau, just once, try their stone, with stainless steel washers creating a slight gap, at 850-900, if you can reach it.  If it doesn't trim your bake time/improve your heat balance, then you can go back to this.

Just once  :)

Ok but even at 850f the bottom will be toast.  I will leave the bottom panel as is which is raised 1" off of the metal lip.  I will also use their stone and not mine.  What do you think that 1/8" air layer will do versus just laying the stone in the panel directly?  That layer of air will be superheated fairly quickly.  Also how is increasing the gap between the two stones going to increase top browning?  I am willing to try but just want to hear your thoughts. 

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #294 on: June 20, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
Can/will that burner rotate just a hair...enough to get the flame off the shield bracket.

Bob I don't know but will look at it.  I will likely wrap that bracket with some sheet metal this weekend to keep the flame directly off of it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #295 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
Bob I don't know but will look at it.  I will likely wrap that bracket with some sheet metal this weekend to keep the flame directly off of it.
10-4...might even pick up a few free upper btu's with that 'lil quick fix.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #296 on: June 20, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
Anyone have calipers to measure the diameter of the shaft of the rotating panel?

I want a ball bearing under the collar.

I have been asked this question, as I have one of these ovens but have not yet gotten the chance to use it nor a chance to respond to the inquiry until this evening, my apologies. I have, however, incorporated a sealed ball bearing to the bottom of the collar for increased reliability of the rotating motor. It measures 7/8".

Anthony

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
7/8" = .875". The bearing I found is 25mm, or .98". So there's a hair over 1/10" wiggle room.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
Does anyone know what the weight of the Blackstone is. I've looked and unless I'm missing it(probably) I don't see it listed anyplace.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2013, 08:33:48 AM »
Does anyone know what the weight of the Blackstone is. I've looked and unless I'm missing it(probably) I don't see it listed anyplace.

jon

Shipping weight 113 lb