Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 335939 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1000 on: July 12, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
I think as a forum, we ought to pitch in and get Scotty an oven to play with.   Anyone who's ever gotten help from Scott and feels like it can toss some $ in the pot.  I'll pitch in the first 20 BS bucks.  How about it fellas?   But if we can make this happen Scott, we wanna see that you are puttin' it to good use.  >:D. That means pics!  Deal?

Chau, that's incredibly kind of you, but I'm not looking for a handout.

I didn't just pick 18 months for the heck of it.  If no one manages to beat the challenge by next summer, I am planning on getting involved  >:D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1001 on: July 12, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »
No one said anything about a handout.  IMO, you earned it and then some.  All your posts except where you've disagreed with me.   :P JK!  Seriously, I want to try and make this happen and I know there must be lots of other members who would gladly toss in a few bucks.   Hell even if we could get half way or 3/4 of the way, it would make it that much more reacheable that much sooner.  And forget the 18months.  You'll see some quality pie much sooner than that.  Maybe not a Craig clone but something on that level.   But if we can get you an oven so you can see how challenging making great NP pizza really is, then I'm all for that.  Plus you are a good man Scott, I mean that.  You have been very generous with helping members out.  It's time the community gives back a little.  Just my opinion.

Chau

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:18:59 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1002 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:38 AM »
I think as a forum, we ought to pitch in and get Scotty an oven to play with.   Anyone who's ever gotten help from Scott and feels like it can toss some $ in the pot.  I'll pitch in the first 20 BS bucks.  How about it fellas?   But if we can make this happen Scott, we wanna see that you are puttin' it to good use.  >:D. That means pics!  Deal?

Chau

I'll give to you on youth for being faster, I was going to say the same thing, I'm in for whatever you need. Chau, get a list together, divide by how many and it's done. Just let me know how much, even if it's just us  2, consider it a done deal. I figgure a few more will pitch in. Start a separate thread and let it run a week and done, Ill send you a check. Let's all make Scott a little sweeter with all our forum friends!!!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1003 on: July 12, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
Cool I'll start a new thread in the morning to see what kind of interests we can drum up.  I'm posting from my cell in bed!    We can make it happen!

Offline scott123

« Reply #1004 on: July 12, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
Well, since you put that way, Chau... is 20 bucks all that I'm worth to you?  :-D

Seriously, enough about me.  This is the Blackstone Pizza Oven thread. There was a question why I haven't purchased it, and I felt like I needed to answer it- honestly.  And I did. It's done.

I've gotten way more from this forum than I've given to it. I should send you 20 bucks for furthering NY in a WFO experimentation. I should send Mark 20 bucks for the pioneering work he did with steel.  Peter should get 20 bucks for bringing protease to my attention and everything else.  Norma should get 20 bucks for making me even consider making a Detroit pie.  Fazzari should get 20 bucks for proving that re-balls can be beneficial. Craig should get 20 bucks for, well, just being Craig. Scott R should get 20 bucks for sharing everything he knows about NH pizza. DMC deserves 20 bucks for everything he's shared relating to tomatoes. Jeff and Tom should get 20 bucks for everything that they've taught me about wood fired ovens. John Conklin should get 20 bucks for inviting me to his house and letting me bake NP pizza. Larry should get 20 bucks for inspiring me with his obsession (along with loads of others). Tampa Dave should get 20 bucks for his oven mods. Bill should get 20 bucks for inspiring me to make beautiful food. Steve should get 20 bucks (beyond membership fees) for providing the setting for all of this to take place.  By the time we've given everyone back what they've generously given us, it's all pretty much just the same 20 dollar bill getting passed around hundreds of times.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Please.

*Edit: I know, for a fact, that I'm forgetting people, but it is 1:40 in the morning where I am, so please, if I didn't mention you, it wasn't because you didn't deserve to make this list.  Everyone deserves to make this list because everyone brings a beneficial aspect to the forum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:14:47 AM by scott123 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1005 on: July 12, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
just shut the flap hole and you might get a surprise, leave us alone while devise something nice for change

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1006 on: July 12, 2013, 01:56:08 AM »
First Neapolitan pies!  This Blackstone sizzles.  Did six pies & really enjoyed them.  Cooked some at 850, some at 875, and a couple at 920.  A little imbalance with bottom greater that top heat.  Recommend raising turntable, adding spacers, using Chau's deflector.  875 resulted in 60 second pies.

Communist, your pizzas look great especially first time out of the gate. Would you mind sharing your dough recipie?  Any tips for someone wanting to learn NP style? Thanks, John
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:35:29 PM by jgerardi »
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline scott123

« Reply #1007 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:12 AM »
just shut the flap hole

:-D :-D :-D

And, of course, 20 bucks to Jon for 'Jacking it Up' in his indubitable manner.

If people really wish to invest in something, the clock on Bert's Kickstarter campaign is running out.  It would be a shame for Bert not to hit his target with all the time he's invested in his oven.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1008 on: July 12, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »
Scott you are worth at least $30 to me but I didn't want other members whining about not having a chance to contribute in case we hit our goal too soon.  And yes some of us have already contributed to Bert's project but it doesn't make this any less of a worthwhile cause.  I just need to clear it with Steve before we start but it would also be nice if you are agreeable to accepting said gift.   ;D. It would be a small token of appreciation.  Ok moving on...

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1009 on: July 12, 2013, 02:30:53 AM »
I have a lot of respect for Bert and what he did. I contributed to his campaign a while ago. I hope I don't get the money back.

Offline scott123

« Reply #1010 on: July 12, 2013, 03:01:31 AM »
I just need to clear it with Steve before we start but it would also be nice if you are agreeable to accepting said gift.   ;D.

While I'll be perfectly fine with whatever Steve decides, if he does give it his okay, I'm only going to accept it under one condition:  That I can have it shipped wherever I please :angel:

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1011 on: July 12, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »
While I'll be perfectly fine with whatever Steve decides, if he does give it his okay, I'm only going to accept it under one condition:  That I can have it shipped wherever I please :angel:

fine, as long as it your place, so you can cook on it and share your pics!!!! :-D :chef:

Offline scott123

« Reply #1012 on: July 12, 2013, 03:46:17 AM »
...and share your pics!!!! :-D :chef:

I give my word that pics will be shared.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1013 on: July 12, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »
The more I read this thread the more interested I am in purchasing a Blackstone oven.  I told Steve on Tuesday I almost did purchase a Blackstone oven last week, but then decided not to. 

Seriously guys, your pies all look great from using the Blackstone!  ;D  Will be watching with great interest. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1014 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
The more I read this thread the more interested I am in purchasing a Blackstone oven.  I told Steve on Tuesday I almost did purchase a Blackstone oven last week, but then decided not to. 

Seriously guys, your pies all look great from using the Blackstone!  ;D  Will be watching with great interest. 

Norma

Norma, I'd love to see what you could do with one. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1015 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »

What are you upto Scott? If we can pull it off,  we want you to own it, use it, enjoy it.  Can a mod move these post regarding getting Scott a BS oven to a new thread for the time being?   If Steve okays it then we can continue there.  If not then these particular posts don't technically add to the merits of the BS anyway.

EDIT:  I started a new thread here, the Scott123 Appreciation thread (let's see if we can get Scotty a BS oven)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26277.msg265096.html#msg265096

For those would would like to contribute or post about this topic, please make a post there. 

Chau
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:47:33 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline scott123

« Reply #1016 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
What are you upto Scott?

What am I up to? What would I be up to?

Enjoy it? I fully expect this to be the highlight of my year.

And, yes, these posts can definitely be extracted into their own thread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #1017 on: July 12, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
I don't want to derail this thread, but, thank you all for your support and thought. Even if MPO don't make it on Kickstarter, it is not the end, just minor obstacle.
Bert,

Offline communist

« Reply #1018 on: July 12, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »

Communist, your pizzas look great especially first time out of the gate. Would you mind sharing your dough recipie?  Any tips for someone wanting to learn NP style? Thanks, John
Yes, I am glad to, but I am just beginning, so I am not confident with my recipe yet.  I got a bag of Caputo flour.  1000 grams Caputo, got 610 grams filtered water, mixed in 22grams of salt and 0.5 grams of IDY (used small scale - was about 1/8 of a teaspoon)  Heated water in microwave to about 78 degrees.  Combined water/salt/yeast with Caputo, mixed with spoon for a bit, then Kitchen aid for 3 minutes.  Removed and kneaded for 2 minutes.  Put in large container in basement for overnight bulk rise at 65 degrees, but then got worried and refrigerated at 35 overnight.  In am, made 6 balls of 250 grams,put in basement at 65 till 3PM.  Pulled dough at 3pm, it looked real inactive.  Room temp at 80 degrees for 3 hours.  Still looked underactive, but at least I had a lot of small bubbles.  250 grams dough balls spread like a dream, into 13.5 inch skins ( probably a bit too thin! - I will back off next time ) Put on floured peel, and top.  For future trials, I will shoot for the 24 hour bulk, and 24 hour ball ferment. I am avoiding sourdough for convenience sake. Will try to understand Craig's work flow more. My dough was just too underactive.  My skins will be slightly smaller, my thickness factor was under .07 and a little too thin.  John, I am continuing on this endeavor, and will be glad share any of my (mis) adventures.  Mark

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1019 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
quick question...how many of you installed the ball bearing on the bottom of the shaft? Does it work well without it?

tia