Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 227388 times)

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2240 on: August 11, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
Yes, it is a gear drive, or so I have read.
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2241 on: August 11, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Yes, it is a gear drive, or so I have read.
Then the MW motor isn't going to help, plus, the shaft would need modified.
Guess it looks like ya got$ to pay if you wanna play bruddah.  :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2242 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Then the MW motor isn't going to help, plus, the shaft would need modified.

Why?  ??? , connection to turntable shaft is either a half-circle drive shaft (like rheostat fan switch knobs or 3/16" square shaft), depends on the motor. Mod = adapter!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2243 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Why?  ??? , connection to turntable shaft is either a half-circle drive shaft (like rheostat fan switch knobs or 3/16" square shaft), depends on the motor. Mod = adapter!

Jim
Oh..I thought the BS used the usual square peg deal.
At any rate; all the MW motors I saw listed 2.5/3 rpm's.  That 3rpm motor probably turns a gear set that causes the table to rotate at 6 rpm.

Offline communist

« Reply #2244 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Superb photos
  If you have a chance to snap a full-on 3/8" shot, I for one, would love it.
Dave
As you requested Dave.  The first photo is 3/8" at one full red regulator turn off max (360 degrees) which is what I did the other night.  The flame is the same.  I then turned it full max - one full turn, & the flame turned into a fire spitting dragon leaping across the top and dipping down very near the area where you got burning on your test pie.  I was ready for it to throw flames at me, but it did not. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:32:10 PM by communist »

Offline communist

« Reply #2245 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
More full throttle
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:20:43 PM by communist »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2246 on: August 11, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
I just went out to get the numbers off the one I exchanged the old one for. Only difference is no vent on it otherwise looks exactly the same. Inside and out, there is not ONE identifying serial, model, ANY kind of number or name. Maybe if I get ambitious tomorrow I'll take the screws off the back and see if anything in there tells?? This, as I remember, was a closeout sale at a store and I bought a bunch of their bbq stuff. 2 of the things were rotisserie set-ups with the skewer and the whole works for like 5 bucks apiece.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2247 on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
Chicago thin crust using Garvey's "Pizza Factory Clone" on the Blackstone. Garvey's recipe for crust and sauce is found here, both might I add quite good http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html. After rolling out the dough I brushed with some olive oil, then topped with the sauce, green olives, fresh basil leaves diced onions and green peppers, homemade mozzarella and provolone and then the pepperoni and sausage. Launched the pie on the BS set at low after it came to a steady temp of 520. Stone dropped to about 400 and turned up the flame slightly. Top gauge was at 325-350. Pizza was in for about 4-5 minutes and the last 1-1.5 minutes I cranked up a bit higher (still not full) til the toppings had just a bit of charring. EXCELLENT pizza and a nice departure from NP for a change. Rosie REALLY liked it as did daughter and son in law across the street. I have one PF dough left for tomorrow that will go up against a cracker crust that's sitting under a heat lamp right now. Been some time since I did a cracker crust and looking forward to how they compare in the BS!! And, my shut off switch for the turntable that was sitting nearby all along and finally thought to use it, PERFECT! :P

jon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2248 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
NY style pizzas baked in the BS at Reply 125 and next posts http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg272403.html#msg272403

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JohnA

« Reply #2249 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:21 AM »
Dang these are hard to find Jim....how fast do you need to go?
Found a 3rpm deal for $52 bucks....looks real solid.   Good enough?  I've seen motor controllers for around 20 bucks with nice enclosures but can tell you how to do it on the cheap if needed.

http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-spit-motors/ac-stainless-steel-rotisserie-motor/

If someone wants to buy a "OneGrill" brand rotisserie motor, why not just buy it direct from OneGrill? Their prices direct from them, are as low or lower than what 4thegrill is asking. Even their $30 cordless motor that also comes with a AC adapter for it, is rated for 25lbs and 3rpm

http://www.onegrill.com/category_s/126.htm
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:12:18 AM by JohnA »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2250 on: August 12, 2013, 07:09:07 AM »
As you requested Dave.
Thank you. Those are amazing photos!  Especially that last two in the first set - with the flame bending down.  I've never seen anything like it - a blowtorch flame rising....downward?  In the middle of the stone?  The only thing that explains that (for me) is back pressure created by the left sidewall and stone below.  Other ideas welcome.

Really great stuff, Communist.  This helps a lot.

Did you do any special tricks to get those pictures, or can I replicate them with a reasonable digital camera at night?

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2251 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
If someone wants to buy a "OneGrill" brand rotisserie motor, why not just buy it direct from OneGrill? Their prices direct from them, are as low or lower than what 4thegrill is asking. Even their $30 cordless motor that also comes with a AC adapter for it, is rated for 25lbs and 3rpm

http://www.onegrill.com/category_s/126.htm
Good point John. I just checked and OneGrills prices are lower.
In the case for the link I provided for Jim I didn't even look at the name of the site where I had found that motor...it was just a quick link to show something that is out there and available. Believe me, if there is a place even cheaper than OneGrill, folks here will find it before placing an order(if you know what I mean ;D).

Offline dimarem

« Reply #2252 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
Posted by: red kiosk
on: Yesterday at 07:58:36 PM Insert Quote
That's looks like the one I have now, it's runs just a bit over 2.5 rpm, maybe 2.75 rpm. Jon must have one that was manufactured before all of them were made in China. Lucky dog! That variable speed 10 rpm Wonder Motor looks like the hot set-up for those with the $$. I just found out that microwave turntable motors rotate at 6 rpm. Very durable and most likely would be able to handle the turntable WITH THE BEARING MOD. Cheap microwave motors available on eBay, even cheaper for those microwaves sitting on the curb on trash day!    Take care!

Jim

120 volt motors (and everything else that run off of line voltage) can tend to spark when turned on or off. I know some of the BS ovens have had minor propane leaks. That with the "potential" sparking issue may not be a good thing. The low voltage DC motor is the safest bet. Please be careful

Dimarem

Offline communist

« Reply #2253 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Did you do any special tricks to get those pictures, or can I replicate them with a reasonable digital camera at night?

Dave
Pics are taken with my iphone at night.  Mark

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2254 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Pics are taken with my iphone at night.  Mark
Dang, my wife doesn't know that.  I need to get a girlfriend ;D

=

Seriously, those photos are the bomb.  ChauFlector users may want to snap a pic (full on) and baking flame (no pie necessary) to see the spot where the flame touches down.  We might even be able to see the flame licking through the Chau-fingers. 

If you do post a ChauFlector flame photo, consider using Barry's thread "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments".  The thought is that by locating the tech discussion in one area we can keep this main Blackstone thread from getting so large that it becomes difficult to manage (eg: Yesterday, now two pages ago, you saw a post and want to comment) and daunting to newcomers (read through 100+ pages to get started).  We can always reference the best ideas on this main thread.

Also, to better summarize forum posts, TinRoofRusted is working on a wiki (www.pizzawiki.info) with a Blackstone section that is starting to take shape.  Tin has some sub-sections up now, and is looking for a plug-in to handle photos.  After that, we should be good to go.  The idea is, that like Wikipedia, members will be able to summarize key learnings.

We're just trying to make this forum as useful as possible.  If you have a better plan, speak up (or send me a PM).

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2255 on: August 12, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »

We're just trying to make this forum as useful as possible.  If you have a better plan, speak up (or send me a PM).

Dave
You guys are doing something that is greatly needed. Thanks!  :)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2256 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2257 on: August 12, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »
Nice pies Qarl!!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2258 on: August 13, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
When you say you cooked a pie at X temp where are you taking your reading?

Thanks,
jb

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2259 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »
I am mostly looking at the stone temp with an IR thermometer. Now and then I look at the dome temp which really doesn't reflect the temp in the actual cooking environment that much but more of a secondary heat that's above the top stone.

jon

pizzapan