Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 578902 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2225 on: August 11, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
I've got a few other mods to work on right now. I'm gonna close up some of the space up front and add foil into the roof. 

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #2226 on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Here's the connection. Carefully, make a slit in the wire length wise. Only pull out the red wire and leave the integrity of the rest of wire intact. Strip the ends of the red wire and attach the clips as shown.

Papa, nice and clean mod.  :)
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2227 on: August 11, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
Ceramic Jet-Hot coat that sumbich!  LOL

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2228 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
Ceramic Jet-Hot coat that sumbich!  LOL
That is actually a very good idea, at least for the removable (for shipping) heat shield, Carl. For those DIY challenged folks anyway because I have a feeling we may be shortly seeing people want the Daveshield mod.

Maybe you could track down an estimate for sending off the heat shield to get Jet-Hot coated and post any results over in the Mods thread.....that would be awesome friend!  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2229 on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
Jon's is 5.5 rpm.   I said long ago that this mod would be a "hot set-up", guess it got lost in this confusion. When will ya'll realize That Bob is the Master of BS!  :-D

I just timed the standard motor at 2.25 rpms. I'm going to see how my pies look and then consider an upgrade.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2230 on: August 11, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
With these higher spin rates I'm envisioning pizza toppings being slung off the pizza. Mushrooms and sausage splattered on the heat shield. Better wear goggles...tomato sauce in the eyes is no fun!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2231 on: August 11, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
Actually doesn't go THAT fast but I get the picture. Going to try "Garvey's Pizza Factory" clone on the BS later today. Sausage, mushroom, onion, gr pepper and my brother brought me over about a 10# clump of Maitake mushrooms!!!

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2232 on: August 11, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
I just timed the standard motor at 2.25 rpms. I'm going to see how my pies look and then consider an upgrade.

Barry

I did a pretty exhaustive online search and couldn't find a 5 rpm rotisserie motor for less than $180. Even the "wonder motor" variable speed one was $170. Take care!

This is the cheapest I could find:

http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-spit-motors/100-pound-capacity-rotisserie-motor/

http://wondermotor.com/Rotisserie_motor.html

Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:14:34 PM by red kiosk »
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline redox

« Reply #2233 on: August 11, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
Actually doesn't go THAT fast but I get the picture. Going to try "Garvey's Pizza Factory" clone on the BS later today. Sausage, mushroom, onion, gr pepper and my brother brought me over about a 10# clump of Maitake mushrooms!!!

jon
I haven't tried Garvey's clone on the BS yet but man, do I love that recipe!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2234 on: August 11, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
I did a pretty exhaustive online search and couldn't find a 5 rpm rotisserie motor for less than $180. Even the "wonder motor" variable speed one was $170. Take care!

This is the cheapest I could find:

http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-spit-motors/100-pound-capacity-rotisserie-motor/

http://wondermotor.com/Rotisserie_motor.html

Jim
I think I posted about a $50 one back when I believe Chau was first talking about it Red.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2235 on: August 11, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »
I think I posted about a $50 one back when I believe Chau was first talking about it Red.

If someone has the link, please post it, for I sure couldn't find it. Thanks and take care!

Jim

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2236 on: August 11, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
If someone has the link, please post it, for I sure couldn't find it. Thanks and take care!

Jim
Dang these are hard to find Jim....how fast do you need to go?
Found a 3rpm deal for $52 bucks....looks real solid.   Good enough?  I've seen motor controllers for around 20 bucks with nice enclosures but can tell you how to do it on the cheap if needed.

http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-spit-motors/ac-stainless-steel-rotisserie-motor/

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2237 on: August 11, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
That's looks like the one I have now, it's runs just a bit over 2.5 rpm, maybe 2.75 rpm. Jon must have one that was manufactured before all of them were made in China. Lucky dog! That variable speed 10 rpm Wonder Motor looks like the hot set-up for those with the $$. I just found out that microwave turntable motors rotate at 6 rpm. Very durable and most likely would be able to handle the turntable WITH THE BEARING MOD. Cheap microwave motors available on eBay, even cheaper for those microwaves sitting on the curb on trash day!  :-D  Take care!

Jim

Offline redox

« Reply #2238 on: August 11, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
That's looks like the one I have now, it's runs just a bit over 2.5 rpm, maybe 2.75 rpm. Jon must have one that was manufactured before all of them were made in China. Lucky dog! That variable speed 10 rpm Wonder Motor looks like the hot set-up for those with the $$. I just found out that microwave turntable motors rotate at 6 rpm. Very durable and most likely would be able to handle the turntable WITH THE BEARING MOD. Cheap microwave motors available on eBay, even cheaper for those microwaves sitting on the curb on trash day!  :-D  Take care!

Jim
There's a high voltage capacitor in microwave ovens that can hold a lethal charge for quite awhile. You'd better know what you're doing if anyone tears into one.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2239 on: August 11, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »
Just looked at half a dozen MW motors and all were listed at 2.5/3 rpm. Must be a gear drive set up in there to make platter turn @ 6rpm.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2240 on: August 11, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
Yes, it is a gear drive, or so I have read.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2241 on: August 11, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Yes, it is a gear drive, or so I have read.
Then the MW motor isn't going to help, plus, the shaft would need modified.
Guess it looks like ya got$ to pay if you wanna play bruddah.  :'(

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2242 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Then the MW motor isn't going to help, plus, the shaft would need modified.

Why?  ??? , connection to turntable shaft is either a half-circle drive shaft (like rheostat fan switch knobs or 3/16" square shaft), depends on the motor. Mod = adapter!

Jim

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2243 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Why?  ??? , connection to turntable shaft is either a half-circle drive shaft (like rheostat fan switch knobs or 3/16" square shaft), depends on the motor. Mod = adapter!

Jim
Oh..I thought the BS used the usual square peg deal.
At any rate; all the MW motors I saw listed 2.5/3 rpm's.  That 3rpm motor probably turns a gear set that causes the table to rotate at 6 rpm.

Offline communist

« Reply #2244 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Superb photos
  If you have a chance to snap a full-on 3/8" shot, I for one, would love it.
Dave
As you requested Dave.  The first photo is 3/8" at one full red regulator turn off max (360 degrees) which is what I did the other night.  The flame is the same.  I then turned it full max - one full turn, & the flame turned into a fire spitting dragon leaping across the top and dipping down very near the area where you got burning on your test pie.  I was ready for it to throw flames at me, but it did not. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:32:10 PM by communist »

Offline communist

« Reply #2245 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
More full throttle
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:20:43 PM by communist »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2246 on: August 11, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
I just went out to get the numbers off the one I exchanged the old one for. Only difference is no vent on it otherwise looks exactly the same. Inside and out, there is not ONE identifying serial, model, ANY kind of number or name. Maybe if I get ambitious tomorrow I'll take the screws off the back and see if anything in there tells?? This, as I remember, was a closeout sale at a store and I bought a bunch of their bbq stuff. 2 of the things were rotisserie set-ups with the skewer and the whole works for like 5 bucks apiece.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2247 on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
Chicago thin crust using Garvey's "Pizza Factory Clone" on the Blackstone. Garvey's recipe for crust and sauce is found here, both might I add quite good http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html. After rolling out the dough I brushed with some olive oil, then topped with the sauce, green olives, fresh basil leaves diced onions and green peppers, homemade mozzarella and provolone and then the pepperoni and sausage. Launched the pie on the BS set at low after it came to a steady temp of 520. Stone dropped to about 400 and turned up the flame slightly. Top gauge was at 325-350. Pizza was in for about 4-5 minutes and the last 1-1.5 minutes I cranked up a bit higher (still not full) til the toppings had just a bit of charring. EXCELLENT pizza and a nice departure from NP for a change. Rosie REALLY liked it as did daughter and son in law across the street. I have one PF dough left for tomorrow that will go up against a cracker crust that's sitting under a heat lamp right now. Been some time since I did a cracker crust and looking forward to how they compare in the BS!! And, my shut off switch for the turntable that was sitting nearby all along and finally thought to use it, PERFECT! :P

jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2248 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
NY style pizzas baked in the BS at Reply 125 and next posts http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg272403.html#msg272403

Norma

Online JohnA

« Reply #2249 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:21 AM »
Dang these are hard to find Jim....how fast do you need to go?
Found a 3rpm deal for $52 bucks....looks real solid.   Good enough?  I've seen motor controllers for around 20 bucks with nice enclosures but can tell you how to do it on the cheap if needed.

http://www.4thegrill.com/rotisserie-spit-motors/ac-stainless-steel-rotisserie-motor/

If someone wants to buy a "OneGrill" brand rotisserie motor, why not just buy it direct from OneGrill? Their prices direct from them, are as low or lower than what 4thegrill is asking. Even their $30 cordless motor that also comes with a AC adapter for it, is rated for 25lbs and 3rpm

http://www.onegrill.com/category_s/126.htm
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:12:18 AM by JohnA »