Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 348241 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2640 on: September 08, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
I made two NY-style pies for my son's bday bash and the cheese survived longer but still overdone and the crust on the bottom wasn't near done.  I still used pre-shredded cheese but browned all my toppings before loading the pizzas.  My blackstone thermometer temp was 350 and I raised it to 400 to finish off the pies.  What would case the bottom from not crisping up?  I am thinking it is the height still that needs adjusted.

you show the dough on screens, are you putting them in the blackstone on the screen?  The crust would take longer to cook if it were on a screen .   

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2641 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »
Sunday 'Gravy'

2 dough balls leftover from 7hr emergency dough yesterday.  Identical toppings.  Brussel sprouts are awesome on pizza.  (Bel giosso mozz, red onions, organic nitrate free sopresatta, cento tomatoes).

For those having issues launching, it's all about your dough.  I had light coming through sections of the dough, but no breakage as I stretched over my knuckles.  As someone who is 3 weeks into NP baking, I'm happy with where I'm at.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:52:22 PM by pacdunes »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2642 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »
Tonight, I made my third and fourth pies on the BSO.  First one was a no sauce, Buf Mozz, Provolone, Fontina, roasted garlic, chive, roasted sweet red pepper.  Came out great, it was the wife's creation.  I did a Classico sauce, mozz, provolone, fontina, chive, pepperoni, roasted red pepper and Sopresata. Both were from a NY dough I made over a week ago and froze.  I thawed in water and let it set at room temp about 3 hours. Here's the last one.

Launched at 860F lower, 920F upper, burner almost all the way to low, just noticably louder up from the lowest.  2 mins.  For the last 10 seconds, I opened it WFO.

Even with the high gluten flour (13.3%) it was tender. 

I'm impressed as to how much difference temperature can make on the same dough.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2643 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:11 AM »
NFL Sunday party. Normally I do no more than 6 balls to a batch but this was my first time doing 10. My temps were out a bit I think, so the dough was a bit too active when I attempted to use it. This was a travelling pizza day as I brought the BS to my friends place. Also my first day attempting a couple of dessert pizzas - Nutella and peanut butter but what I am most proud of is my tribute to the Margherita, dessert style! It can be seen here in the dessert section;
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27472.0.html

To keep everyone interested, I played around with many of the ideas for pizzas I have seen on PM (while I would have no problem putting out margheritas all day, I am sure others would get a bit bored of it).

1. Margherita
2. Fresh mozz, Genoa salami, onion and parmigiano
3. Fresh mozz, roasted garlic, brown mushroom, truffle oil and parmigiano
4. Fresh mozz, roasted garlic, prosciutto and parmigiano

Aside from the Margherita, I can't even say which I liked the best, flavours were all very good. My first time using white truffle oil and that stuff is delicious.
Overall I wasn't entirely satisfied with my dough this time, lacked tenderness and due to some temperature issues, a bit too active although that made it very easy to work with.
As far as the oven goes, and being that it's unmodded, 810 - 820 deck temp works really well for me I think. I had a couple of mishaps with it being lower (750) or higher (900+) with regard to uneven bakes. And regardless of stone temps, I still play with the temp control knob as needed to try for even bakes.

And finally, I do get some surprise secondary flame from in front of and behind the control knob like others on here, which is something I will have to look at soon.

iRobertO

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2644 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »
Tonight, I made my third and fourth pies on the BSO.  First one was a no sauce, Buf Mozz, Provolone, Fontina, roasted garlic, chive, roasted sweet red pepper.  Came out great, it was the wife's creation.  I did a Classico sauce, mozz, provolone, fontina, chive, pepperoni, roasted red pepper and Sopresata. Both were from a NY dough I made over a week ago and froze.  I thawed in water and let it set at room temp about 3 hours. Here's the last one.

Launched at 860F lower, 920F upper, burner almost all the way to low, just noticably louder up from the lowest.  2 mins.  For the last 10 seconds, I opened it WFO.

Even with the high gluten flour (13.3%) it was tender. 

I'm impressed as to how much difference temperature can make on the same dough.

Good pies.  The second photo is a particularly good illustration of the black char ring under the rim, that I had been describing a while back.  Still not sure of the cause or cure.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2645 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
Sly,
I'm not sure about the black ring either.  Some speculation by the inner circle guys in the know here, suggested possibly too much bench flour.  I worked to reduce that on that pie above and used semolina flour on the peel per their suggestion.  Still got the black ring.  But in defense of this charing, this dough is made from a malted, high gluten flour.  I think I had read that malted flours tended to burn easier? 

I think that was the last of the frozen NY dough I had made for visiting family.

I'm currently fermenting my first batch of Neapolitan dough from Caputo.  Heck, I have never had a Neapolitan pie.  So, I have no idea on how to judge the outcome other than pictures from this forum and some of the descriptions that made my mouth water.  :-D  But I'm in it to see if I'm up to the challenge.   :chef:

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2646 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:55 PM »
Could be,  I am using all trumps (high gluten) as well. But why just that ring and not the entire bottom (rhetorical question I guess). I am using semolina for my bench flour.

Offline italdream

« Reply #2647 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
NFL Sunday party. Normally I do no more than 6 balls to a batch but this was my first time doing 10. My temps were out a bit I think, so the dough was a bit too active when I attempted to use it. This was a travelling pizza day as I brought the BS to my friends place. Also my first day attempting a couple of dessert pizzas - Nutella and peanut butter but what I am most proud of is my tribute to the Margherita, dessert style! It can be seen here in the dessert section;
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27472.0.html

To keep everyone interested, I played around with many of the ideas for pizzas I have seen on PM (while I would have no problem putting out margheritas all day, I am sure others would get a bit bored of it).

1. Margherita
2. Fresh mozz, Genoa salami, onion and parmigiano
3. Fresh mozz, roasted garlic, brown mushroom, truffle oil and parmigiano
4. Fresh mozz, roasted garlic, prosciutto and parmigiano

Aside from the Margherita, I can't even say which I liked the best, flavours were all very good. My first time using white truffle oil and that stuff is delicious.
Overall I wasn't entirely satisfied with my dough this time, lacked tenderness and due to some temperature issues, a bit too active although that made it very easy to work with.
As far as the oven goes, and being that it's unmodded, 810 - 820 deck temp works really well for me I think. I had a couple of mishaps with it being lower (750) or higher (900+) with regard to uneven bakes. And regardless of stone temps, I still play with the temp control knob as needed to try for even bakes.

And finally, I do get some surprise secondary flame from in front of and behind the control knob like others on here, which is something I will have to look at soon.

iRobertO
Ciao Roberto, bravo. Belle pizze.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2648 on: September 09, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
The Blackstone oven rocks. We had a pizza party and ran 10 pizzas through it in a little over an hour. I wish I had taken some pictures, but was way to busy launching pies. We did 2 gluten free and 8 regular. Everyone brought topping and for the most part built their own pizza. I did the launching and cooking and eating and drinking of course. 

The gluten free were made from Bob's Redmill Pizza mix. I'd never worked with it before but got some good ideas from the pizza makers in the gluten free section. Based on their input I added of 5 tblsp of powdered milk a splash of red wine vinegar and a tblsp of brown sugar. I'm not a gluten free eater, but those that are said they were the best they'd ever had. Can't really take credit and I give thanks to the pizza makers in the gluten free forum here for the tweaks. Interesting thing about the gluten free dough is it browns very quickly. I had to lower the temps to around 500 and cook them on an aluminum platter to get an even top and bottom cook. The Blackstone makes temp adjustments very easy. And it cooked these as easily as a regular pie. A really versatile oven.

jb

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2649 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
The Blackstone oven rocks. We had a pizza party and ran 10 pizzas through it in a little over an hour. I wish I had taken some pictures, but was way to busy launching pies. We did 2 gluten free and 8 regular. Everyone brought topping and for the most part built their own pizza. I did the launching and cooking and eating and drinking of course. 
jb

Love those pizza parties, and especially the idea to bring your own ingredients.  It gets everyone involved in the event.
dave

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2650 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
jb,
sounds really cool.  In order to get the deck temp to 500F, did you have to reduce the regulator pressure?  I get 650-700F ish deck temps running on low with the regulator cranked all the way up and a 20 min preheat. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2651 on: September 09, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
Sly,
I'm not sure about the black ring either.  Some speculation by the inner circle guys in the know here, suggested possibly too much bench flour. 

At some point I think we should have a more in-depth discussion about bench flour. I have noticed a few things about it recently that are both noteworthy and confusing.

First, with I really endorse Caputo as a bench flour. It works much better than other wheat flours in that capacity.

Second, I really note that bench flour is a tremendous aid in stretching a dough skin. When you lay out a very fine layer of flour on your stretching surface, and set the already stretched dough on it, the bench flour seems to provide some kind of additional extensibility. 

Third, I tried a combination of semolina, rice flour, and Caputo flour that someone recommended, and it was a real disaster on the Blackstone. Probably I used too much but it burned like crazy.   

Fourth, I don't know why sometimes I might use a fair amount of bench flour and have absolutely no flour residue on the bottom of the baked pizza, and other times I use a similar amount (or less!) and it sticks to the bottom of the crust. I think it might have to do with higher hydration dough but it is somewhat confusing. 

Any thoughts you may have on this subject would be interesting!

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:12:13 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2652 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
Got home around 8:00 pm, fed the birdogs, fired up the BSO, and checked on my first NP Caputo dough.  It looked over fermented with approx 30 hrs fermentation.  Possibly the IDY was too much for my mid 50's temp. 

The dough stretched and formed easily.  I made a 9" pie, but didn't make a cornice, more from habit than anything.  Topped with Classico jar sauce, mozz mix with buf mozz,  sopresata, basil. 

Launch at 875F deck and 950 dome center.   Burner at WFO, regulator at WFO.  Approx 15 min preheat, checking surface temps by turning burner to low.

The pie was on 90 seconds. Crumb was tougher than I expected (over fermented?)  Still better than any pizza I've ever bought anywhere (I've led a sheltered life, from one Pizza Hut to another :-[)

Speaking of bench flour, I used a high gluten/malted flour for the bench flour, and I think it shows. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:59:50 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2653 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:12 AM »
Pizzas look really delicious.  Very cool photos of the BS flames curling over the center of the oven. 

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2654 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »
Wife just rolled in from work. I fired up the BSO again and grabbed some more of the overfermented dough. I tried to pay attention to a cornice, used Caputo for limited bench flour, and semolina for the peel.   Launched at 875 deck, 875 dome, flame on low.  At 1:15, I turned the burner up to WFO.  It went to almost 2:00.

I'm thinking a 800F deck and 900F ish dome with a medium flame.  But the burner seems to go from low to WFO pretty abruptly.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2655 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »
The wife was gracious enough to share a bite or two.  The cornice was nice and tender.  Hmmm?

Offline alconnell

« Reply #2656 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
I have been working on perfecting a 5 minute bake using the BS on it's lowest setting with the red regulator 1 turn closed.   This gives me almost even top/bottom stone temperatures around 600 degrees.  I preheat for 15 min. at the same setting and launch.  I'm getting pretty good results this way.  I will venture into the higher temp bakes as I get more comfortable with the BS and after I get my new IR temp gun that goes high enough!  Meanwhile, here is a white pizza with BBQ chicken, red onions and cilantro.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2657 on: September 10, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
Looks very good Al. It's tough to get to 5 minutes in my experience.  You really have to moderate the flame. 

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2658 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
At some point I think we should have a more in-depth discussion about bench flour. I have noticed a few things about it recently that are both noteworthy and confusing.

First, with I really endorse Caputo as a bench flour. It works much better than other wheat flours in that capacity.

Second, I really note that bench flour is a tremendous aid in stretching a dough skin. When you lay out a very fine layer of flour on your stretching surface, and set the already stretched dough on it, the bench flour seems to provide some kind of additional extensibility. 

Third, I tried a combination of semolina, rice flour, and Caputo flour that someone recommended, and it was a real disaster on the Blackstone. Probably I used too much but it burned like crazy.   

Fourth, I don't know why sometimes I might use a fair amount of bench flour and have absolutely no flour residue on the bottom of the baked pizza, and other times I use a similar amount (or less!) and it sticks to the bottom of the crust. I think it might have to do with higher hydration dough but it is somewhat confusing. 

Any thoughts you may have on this subject would be interesting!

Regards,

TinRoof

All good observations/questions. I wish I had more knowledge to contribute on the subject.  My experiences with straight flour were not really good.  It got all over the house and too much always stuck to the skin.  Semolina has been much more manageable, but I would still like to find ways to use less of it and get more of it off the skin before baking.  For that matter,  if I figured out how to accomplish those goals, maybe I could go back to flour.  I do like that the excess semolina is pretty easy to brush of the crust post bake if need be. I suspect I am using the semolina as a crutch in place of better dough handling skills, but for now it is better than the alternative.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:36:36 AM by slybarman »

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2659 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
jb,
sounds really cool.  In order to get the deck temp to 500F, did you have to reduce the regulator pressure?  I get 650-700F ish deck temps running on low with the regulator cranked all the way up and a 20 min preheat.

My preheat was with the oven dial on high and the regulator two turns open. Once it hit 500 I turn the regulator down to where there is no roar, I don't remember exactly how many turns it was, and set the oven dial to half or less. That seemed to keep the temps around 500 to 550.

jb