Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 305831 times)

Offline communist

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2980 on: October 25, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
Good pie Larry!  I like 800 to 825 bottom stone temps for my Neapolitans on the Blackstone.   Mark

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2981 on: October 25, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »
 thinking about one more wood bake then putting the premevera 70 away for the winter. this blackstone is a blast!!

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2982 on: October 26, 2013, 03:36:20 AM »
Here's a couple from tonight.  Not my best work, still getting to getting to grips with the BS.  +4 min bake.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2983 on: October 26, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
Pretty darn good looking pie.  You must be setting the main control pretty low to get a 4 minute pie -  I rarely go more than 2 or 2 1/2 minutes.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2984 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »
Yep. Great pies.  4+ minutes does seem long.  Open propane tank all the way.  Turn red regulator all the way on and then back one full revolution.

Preheat at 1/4 on the front dial for 15 minutes until deck temp is about 800.  Crank up heat and launch pie.  Should get you 2 to 2 1/2 min pies

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2985 on: October 27, 2013, 02:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  What a difference some advice and a few mods (spacers under stone, stone raised 1/2 inch, chauflector) makes.

I had all sorts of trouble with the dough (reballed just before bake... didn't want to open), the sauce (not a good brand, blended too much) and cheese (home-made mozz that I messed up the temperatures with)... aargh!

Those problems aside, I persisted, and this is easily the best pie I've pulled off to date.  The Blackstone may be everything I'd hoped after all.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:22:16 AM by dylandylan »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2986 on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
Ischia finally cooperated and was ready.  63% hydration, 3% fleur de sel, 5% Ischia.
Preheated until deck of 800s, top stone 700s, then opened it up full throttle.  This cook was under a min, prob 40-50 seconds.  Cornice puffed instantly.  Too much char, but not a bad place to start.  A huge thanks to everyone for helping me try new techniques, and a special shout out to Craig.   :chef:
It will be fun getting this dialed in.
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2987 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
Much better today
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2988 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
Oh yeah... that's what we're talking about POOK!  You slammed it home with those pies!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2989 on: October 28, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
Pook,

Pizza looks awesome, but I'm also eyeballin' the white wedge-shaped pizza plate.  :-D How's a'bout a link to where you purchased them. Thanks in advance and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Mother

« Reply #2990 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
Damn, that is some sexy pizza.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2991 on: October 29, 2013, 01:44:27 AM »
Thanks alot guys, the texture is different with one minute NP bakes compared to the 3-4 min ones I am accustomed to.  It will be fun adjusting dough and BS settings. 

Pook,

Pizza looks awesome, but I'm also eyeballin' the white wedge-shaped pizza plate.  :-D How's a'bout a link to where you purchased them. Thanks in advance and take care!

Jim

Red Kiosk, the pie plates are made by Pottery Barn.  I found a set of 6 in the box and packaging for $2.95 at the local Salvation Army while CI hunting.  I'm not sure if pottery barn still sells them, but they can be found on ebay.
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-6-POTTERY-BARN-PIZZA-BUONO-Slice-Trays-/181236503813?pt=Dinnerware_Serving_Dishes&hash=item2a32899505

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2992 on: October 29, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
Thx for the link Pook, but that won't be necessary for me.  When I get a pie that looks like that, I like to eat the whole thing.   :P
Dave

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2993 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
Thanks Pook!

Anything to cut down on the counter and table clutter during pizza pizza parties helps. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2994 on: October 29, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Thx for the link Pook, but that won't be necessary for me.  When I get a pie that looks like that, I like to eat the whole thing.   :P
Dave

:-D
The peel is a nice plate.  ;)

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2995 on: October 29, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Thanks Pook!

Anything to cut down on the counter and table clutter during pizza pizza parties helps. Take care!

Jim

No problem.  For pizza parties, they're a good presentation piece.   

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2996 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
No problem.  For pizza parties, they're a good presentation piece.
Presentation piece?  Pook, maybe I can help you here.  I couldn't agree more with your 'dine from the peel' suggestion, but beyond that, all you need to do is to walk into the kitchen presenting that pie, and sporting your badge of authenticity on a nice tunic, and you will be their favorite party host.
Dave

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2997 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
Presentation piece?  Pook, maybe I can help you here.  I couldn't agree more with your 'dine from the peel' suggestion, but beyond that, all you need to do is to walk into the kitchen presenting that pie, and sporting your badge of authenticity on a nice tunic, and you will be their favorite party host.
Dave

Now THAT, is an image  :-D :-D

Offline communist

« Reply #2998 on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
New York 3 minute Blackstone pie with picante soppressata topped with Mike's Hot Honey

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2999 on: October 31, 2013, 08:16:37 AM »
communist - nice looking pie there.  Your coloration is the perfect party pleaser.  Did you have that regulator dialed back a bit? I don't think my flame goes low enough to avoid char in 3 minutes (I use the underground tank regulator).
Dave