Author Topic: Papa Johns cheesesticks  (Read 14495 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Papa Johns cheesesticks
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
It appears the best option is to just buy the dipping sauces directly from papa johns.
Nate,

That may well be true but before giving up you might want to check out the Parkay Original Squeeze margarine product: http://www.hannaford.com/product/Parkay-Squeeze-Margarine/711225.uts. The base ingredients (excluding the garlic ingredients) are not exactly the same as used to make the PJ Garlic sauce but they are close and the Nutrition Facts are also very close. Adding about 1 gram of soybean oil (a bit less than a quarter-teaspoon) to a one-ounce serving of the Parkay Squeeze margarine should put the Total Fat number at the same value as one ounce of the PJ Garlic sauce. Also, like the PJ Garlic sauce, there is no Trans Fats in the Parkay Squeeze margarine. I would also add a small amount of salt (a pinch should do it) to increase the sodium content of the Parkay Squeeze margarine to get it closer to the sodium content of the PJ Garlic sauce.

I also found a source of Parkay mini-tubs that are a half-ounce, at http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/184895/Conagra-Parkay-Whipped-Spread.htm. Note the similarity of the base ingredients of that product as compared with the PJ Garlic sauce. That product also includes calcium disodium edta (added to protect flavor), as does the PJ Garlic sauce. I suspect that that preservative is needed to preserve the margarine mini-tubs over long storage periods. A potential negative with the mini-tubs is the added cost of shipping the product. BTW, I do not believe that the photo of the Parkay product shown at the foodservicedirect website is the correct photo. That photo is for the Light Parkay margarine spread.

Both of the above products (the Parkay Squeeze and the mini-tub products) are produced by ConAgra.

After considering everything I have learned to date on this matter, I think I would try the Parkay Squeeze margarine with garlic, starting with dry garlic powder. For small quantities, you might also be able to add some fresh garlic. My recollection is that a bottle of the Parkay Squeeze margarine costs around $2-3 (I saw it on sale at $1.99). That that is for a 12-ounce container. That would be equivalent to 12 of the PJ Garlic sauce mini-tubs.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:34:17 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
Fired up another batch.  Damn these are so good.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »
Nate,

I agree. Those cheesesticks do look mighty tasty.

Which dough formulation did you use, and what garlic sauce did you use?

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Nate,

I agree. Those cheesesticks do look mighty tasty.

Which dough formulation did you use, and what garlic sauce did you use?

Peter

I used the formulation you gave me in this thread and papa johns garlic butter.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:38 PM »
Wife wanted cheese sticks tonight so I obliged.  These never get old.  Used AT bromated tonight.  The crumb structure doesn't show but it was almost ciabatta like.

Nate

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Wife wanted cheese sticks tonight so I obliged.  These never get old.  Used AT bromated tonight.  The crumb structure doesn't show but it was almost ciabatta like.

Nate

How much cheese are you putting on there?

Thanks.
Dwight

Offline pythonic

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
How much cheese are you putting on there?

Thanks.

Usually not as much but I knew these would spring up big from the all trumps flour.  I'd say about 6oz for this batch.

pizzapan