Author Topic: Pizza in Pala  (Read 1230 times)

Offline bakeshack

Pizza in Pala
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:26:19 AM »
I have not seen much about this style of pizza here at the forum so I wanted to share one of my favorite styles of pizza baked in the WFO.  The dough is pretty much the same as the one I use for pizza in teglia, which is a high hydration dough made with a mix of 3 different types of flour.  The only difference between the two is the Pizza in Pala is baked straight on the hearth.  I actually prefer this over the pizza in teglia because it is much lighter and the texture is soft and tender (almost like a neapolitan) but crispy on the outside.  The oven spring is also much greater with this style since the use of the pan really protects the pizza from the hearth affecting the oven spring especially with faster bakes. 

50% Molino Pasini 00
25% Central Milling Khorasan Kamut
25% Central Milling ABC
80% Water
10% Leaven
2% Salt

Bulk cold ferment for 24 hrs.  Divide and ball at room temp for 3-4 hours then bake at 675F for about 4 mins.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza in Pala
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
wow, bakeshack, those look awesome

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »
wow, bakeshack, those look awesome

Thanks, deb!

Offline Skee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
Those look really great!  Would you mind discussing how you form and launch them since they're larger than a peel?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
Those look really great!  Would you mind discussing how you form and launch them since they're larger than a peel?

Thanks!  I use a wooden board (16"x32") but a long blade peel would be ideal for launching.  I just stretch the dough out on a heavily floured countertop and press on it just as you would with a Pizzarium-style dough then turn it over to the peel or board instead of the pan.  I stretch it a little bit more and do some final shaping to even out the edges before topping and launching.   I have some semolina on the board to help during the launch. 

Offline TomN

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »
WOW, Wish i was there to try a slice of each pizza. They look delicious.

Offline Skee

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
Thanks!  I use a wooden board (16"x32") but a long blade peel would be ideal for launching.  I just stretch the dough out on a heavily floured countertop and press on it just as you would with a Pizzarium-style dough then turn it over to the peel or board instead of the pan.  I stretch it a little bit more and do some final shaping to even out the edges before topping and launching.   I have some semolina on the board to help during the launch.
I'm going to have to experiment with 80% hydration some more - the couple times I tried it (in Detroit-style pans) there was no way I could handle it enough to make that kind of shape or do any turning, just too soft. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

I'm going to have to experiment with 80% hydration some more - the couple times I tried it (in Detroit-style pans) there was no way I could handle it enough to make that kind of shape or do any turning, just too soft. 

What flour are you using?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
These look beautiful Marlon. Some time ago I tried this style with varying results:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14244

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
Thank you, John!  Your pizzas look really good! 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »

I purchased one of these peels for pizza a la Romana. I was launching at very high temps and the end burnt a bit, but I think it would be fine if the temps were as Marlon is suggesting here.

http://fgpizza.com/store/page15.html

John K

Disclosure: I have no relationship with the owner of the FG site, financial or other! :)

Offline Skee

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
What flour are you using?
KASL with a couple minutes of paddle mixing only - need to play with the process a little, but I've been enjoying 70% hydration and had no need to change.  But your pictures piqued my interest!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »
 :drool:

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
bakeshack -

Your pies look great. Any idea what the floor temp was? Post an undercarriage shot if you have one  ;)

Il miglior fabbro

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
Thanks Johnny!  The floor temp was 675F with a small fire going inside.  I included a photo of the bottom in my original post above.