Author Topic: Three Italian Meats Thin Crust Pizza  (Read 861 times)

Offline redox

Three Italian Meats Thin Crust Pizza
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »
Well, maybe all my recent pizzas look alike because in this style the cheese in on top, hiding all the goodies underneath. So underneath the cheesy thong lies Capocolla, Proscuitto, and Calabrese salami. Sorry if my spelling is wrong but I'm in an after pizza cholesterol semi-coma. This was my overall tastiest pizza yet and a really nice change from sausage or pepperoni. I used Garvey's Pizza Factory clone recipe including his sauce and it was all great. In my 12-inch cutter pan, of course. This was really tasty. I could've made the crust a bit thinner but it was past suppertime and I was getting impatient, I think. I'll go thinner next time. Oh, and I tried BTB's "moonscape" crust, too. Hopefully, I'll do it a bit better next time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:19:27 PM by redox »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Three Italian Meats Thin Crust Pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Wowza pizza coma boy!!  :o  She's one tasty look'in beauty...excellent job all around; fancy crust too.  :chef:

You know Jay, back in the day we put all the toppings on top(circa early 70's)and I have no problem going back to that for some fun "show off" pies for awhile. That will be the M.O. on my next ones.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Nice!  Very meaty looking.  My guys would be all over it!
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Wowza pizza coma boy!!  :o  She's one tasty look'in beauty...excellent job all around; fancy crust too.  :chef:

You know Jay, back in the day we put all the toppings on top(circa early 70's)and I have no problem going back to that for some fun "show off" pies for awhile. That will be the M.O. on my next ones.  8)
Funny you should say that, I was thinking the very thing when I made the first post. If I have some of that meat left, I'll do another one on Sat. or Sun.
I didn't get the crust the way BTB showed me he likes to do it. I need more practice. He claims that his "press, pinch, & crimp" method adds to the pizza experience. But mine didn't look like his example. I'll try again with the next pie. I'm using Ultragrain AP for these and it seems to be working fine, although I think I'll go 20% semolina next time.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:33 AM »
really nice pies!   Thank you for sharing!  oh man im gonna try ctc again at the family cabin...last time the crust was leather.  I want it to look like yours!  worst I've made in years..my bro in law won't let me live it down.   Here is to redemption!

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Made another pie with the same toppings as before but it turns out that a mistake in baking that I made on an earlier pie yields a much nicer browned bottom. The pie is supposed to be baked at 450° for 15 minutes or so. The 2nd shelf from the bottom of my oven works best. Used no spray or oil in the cutter pan and got the results in the previous pix.
This time I drizzled a little canola oil in the pan then wiped it out with a paper towel, all that was left was a very thin flim of oil, almost nothing at all. Just a shiny look.  Oven pre-heated to 525° and not turned down to 475° until 5 minutes after the pie was inserted. I'm getting better at BTB's moonscape crust, too.  :)
This time I put some cheese directly on the sauce and the remainder on top, trying to show some of the tasty meats below but they didn't reveal themselves to any real extent.
Total bake time: 14 minutes.
These last couple of pies mark the first time my wife actually ate the crust, no more pile of bones on the plate. Of course, there really isn't too much to eat with this kind of pie.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:38:20 PM by redox »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:54:54 AM »
Those meaty pies look amazing, man!  I gotta try that combo.

As for the toppings on top vs underneath the cheese, I'm a big fan of putting down a third to half the cheese first, add the toppings, and then do the rest of the cheese.

Peace,
Garvey

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
really nice pies!   Thank you for sharing!  oh man im gonna try ctc again at the family cabin...last time the crust was leather.  I want it to look like yours!  worst I've made in years..my bro in law won't let me live it down.   Here is to redemption!

no redemption....heated the oven hotter 550 for 1hr, they have a pizza stone in there thats like marble, mine at home is more like sandstone..pourous.  put my thin crust in the pan. this is a well seasoned pan that i wiped with a little oil.  cooked it 14 mins...and again leather. at home these pop out crunchy and delicious??  could it be the altitude? its only about 500 ft higher in elevation?  bummer!  i guess i may try a lou malnatis clone...but man...im tired of these horrible crusts!!! chicago Bob!!  talk to me! help!!!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:44:30 PM »
no redemption....heated the oven hotter 550 for 1hr, they have a pizza stone in there thats like marble, mine at home is more like sandstone..pourous.  put my thin crust in the pan. this is a well seasoned pan that i wiped with a little oil.  cooked it 14 mins...and again leather. at home these pop out crunchy and delicious??  could it be the altitude? its only about 500 ft higher in elevation?  bummer!  i guess i may try a lou malnatis clone...but man...im tired of these horrible crusts!!! chicago Bob!!  talk to me! help!!!!!
Dang Mr Mo....this is terrible what has been going on. Dang your brother-in-law; I think he has jinxed the family cabin and is mess'in with your mojo man.  :o
Your bake time is correct @ 14min. so it's not the oven or that odd ball stone. Are you making the dough there at the cabin or transporting it. If making it on site do you have the same flour,etc. that you us at home? 500 feet elevation difference is not causing this dilemma....something, somewhere is being done differently. I have never heard of or seen a thin crust pizza turn out leathery unless it was made with an old blown out dough. Is your yeast good; seeing fermentation with your made dough?
Maybe 'ol bro in law is sabotaging your stuff behind your back....that dude done put a hex spell on your goods man!  8)
Wish I could be more help.  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »
Dough I made at home and froze and I bring up there. .  I think it may be what you consider old and blown out.  I'm gonna make a fresh batch there!  You rock!  Thanks Bob!

Offline redox

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
mrmojo,
I think I forgot to mention it but with my cutter pan I don't use a stone. Pizza turns out great and no long pre-heat time.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »
thanks so much redox! I will try that too!

pizzapan