Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 50686 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 10:57:05 AM »
Norma,
I'm glad you went ahead and started this thread of your own. I think you are really going to like trying different types of pizza on your BS and there will be a bounty of great pizza pics to come from it. It will be a great resource to others having them all collected/available here in one convenient, uncluttered location, thanks and have fun!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
Norma,
I'm glad you went ahead and started this thread of your own. I think you are really going to like trying different types of pizza on your BS and there will be a bounty of great pizza pics to come from it. It will be a great resource to others having them all collected/available here in one convenient, uncluttered location, thanks and have fun!  :chef:

Bob,

I will try different pizzas on the BS if I get everything figured out.

Thanks for saying have tons of fun!

I just went and got a grill cover for the BS and didn't even start to try to put the BS together.  I did get my extra propane tank filled yesterday. 

I will post photos on the original Blackstone thread if any of my pizzas look okay.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
My BS oven is together and was lighted for a little while.  My granddaughters one friend from Texas and my granddaughter helped me put the BS together.  I didn't know it for a little while, but my great-granddaugher was picking my upripe tomatoes in the garden.  The collar on the shaft had to be adjusted with a allen wrench because the steel plate on the bottom was dragging.  I don't know if the steel plate is adjusted too high now.   

I really didn't bring the BS up to the highest temperature it can get, but after 2 minutes the bottom stone was 237 degrees F.  At 5 minutes it was at 483 degrees F.  I didn't take any other temperatures and now have turned it off until I can get some sauce and cheese ready for the bakes.

I also injured my arm while putting the BS together.  Some of those pieces are sharp.

I just did take a two photos of how the one dough ball looks.  To me it looks like it is ready to be baked.

Norma 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:18:30 PM by norma427 »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
Hi Norma,

Congrats on the BS! Adjust (with the collar) the bottom of the turntable so it is 3/4" - 1" above the stainless steel shelf. Preheat 15-20 minutes on low- medium heat and then take a reading on the hearth stone and the top stone. I've found that a little longer, lower pre-heat will get the upper stone hotter than hearth stone (as long as you are using 1/8" washers under the hearth stone). I've been launching at about 825F to 850F (IR stone temp) with excellent results. I was simply amazed  :o at how the bottom of the pie doesn't burn with the spacers, as I was constantly checking the bottom as I would with my grill set-up. I did Chau's deflector and it worked like a charm. I'm soooo happy to leave my grill to just grilling. I'm somewhat new to the forum, but have read many of your "grillin'"posts. Looking forward to what you think of the BS. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
Norma,

You inner shield is not positioned correctly, it needs to be pushed back a bit farther! Make sure it is in the three slots (rear and both sides). You should not be able so see the aluminum cap as I can see from from your picture, it should sit just above and inside the opening, but below the probe part of the thermometer. Also, stand back and look to see if it is level before putting on the top dome. I think that you have it caught on the probe of the thermometer or the front lip of the opening. Take care!

Jim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:25:56 PM by red kiosk »
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
Hi Norma,

Congrats on the BS! Adjust (with the collar) the bottom of the turntable so it is 3/4" - 1" above the stainless steel shelf. Preheat 15-20 minutes on low- medium heat and then take a reading on the hearth stone and the top stone. I've found that a little longer, lower pre-heat will get the upper stone hotter than hearth stone (as long as you are using 1/8" washers under the hearth stone). I've been launching at about 825F to 850F (IR stone temp) with excellent results. I was simply amazed  :o at how the bottom of the pie doesn't burn with the spacers, as I was constantly checking the bottom as I would with my grill set-up. I did Chau's deflector and it worked like a charm. I'm soooo happy to leave my grill to just grilling. I'm somewhat new to the forum, but have read many of your "grillin'"posts. Looking forward to what you think of the BS. Take care!

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the congrats on the BS.  Congrats to you too!  ;D Thanks for telling me how much to adjust the collar.  I have to measure to see where mine is now.  Thanks also for telling me how to preheat and what temperature to bake at.  What kind of 1/8 washers are supposed to be used under the hearth stone?  I didn't do Chau's defelctor yet, but probably will try that at some point in time.  I am also so happy to be able to leave my grill for grilling just like you.  :P When I was moving my grill today to make space for the BS until I can put some more patio blocks put down, my one bottom wheel fell of of my regular grill.  That was another mess I had to take care of.  I had sanded and painted that bottom with rustoleum high heat paint just two years ago. 

Norma,

You inner shield is not positioned correctly, it needs to be pushed back a bit farther! Make sure it is in the three slots (rear and both sides). You should not be able so see the aluminum cap as I can see from from your picture, it should sit just above and inside the opening, but below the probe part of the thermometer. Also, stand back and look to see if it is level before putting on the top dome. I think that you have it caught on the probe of the thermometer or the front lip of the opening. Take care!

Jim

Thanks for telling me my inner shield is not positioned correctly and what to do about that.  I will fix that tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
This is how my first bakes went on the BS.  It started to sprinkle before I was ready to make the pizzas.  I knew it might rain from the weather forecast, but I went ahead and made 2 pizzas.  I sure am not good at landing the pizzas in the middle of the stone, but the first pizza and second pizza tasted very good.  This was the first time my mother ever tasted one of my Neapolitan pizzas and she really liked how soft the crumb and bottom crusts are.  Until I went to make the second pizza it was really pouring, but I still went ahead.  The pizza wanted to stick to the peel, but I took some more flour outside in the shed and tried to loosen the pizza from the wooden peel.  It did become loose, but the peel was still wet. 

If it stops raining I will use the 3rd dough ball to make a pizza tonight.

I also have some frozen dough balls in my freezer and might try a NY style pizza tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
Nice job Norma.  Looks like a successful first bake!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »
Nice job Norma.  Looks like a successful first bake!

Chau,

Thank you, but I have a lot to learn about baking in the BS.  The dough was really nice though and the pizzas did have a great taste from the dough.

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
Norma,  I don't know what type of peel you use - I use mostly wooden ones that I made myself and a super peel.  Before you start heating, you might want to put your peel in the BS and see how deep it will go.  If the front of the peel is slightly curved, the outer edges of the front of the peel will likely hit the heat shield in the back before the middle of the peel gets to the very rear of the stone.  It startled me the first time, but now I am used to it, and I have reshaped my other peels to get more of a curve at the front. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »
Norma,  I don't know what type of peel you use - I use mostly wooden ones that I made myself and a super peel.  Before you start heating, you might want to put your peel in the BS and see how deep it will go.  If the front of the peel is slightly curved, the outer edges of the front of the peel will likely hit the heat shield in the back before the middle of the peel gets to the very rear of the stone.  It startled me the first time, but now I am used to it, and I have reshaped my other peels to get more of a curve at the front.

Barry,

I used a regular wooden peel with a slightly long handle.  I don't think the end of my wooden peel hit the heat shield in the back, but I will watch the next time I use it.  My wooden peel has a slight taper on the end where the pizza is launched.  If you want me to post a picture of the wooden peel I used I can post a photo.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »
It stopped raining when it was dark so I made the 3rd pizza in the BS tonight.  In my opinion this pizza was the best one out of the three today.  The BS flames looks so cool at night. 8)  I dressed this pizza with the same sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes from my garden, Diana's Aleppo peppers and a pepper oil I made.  I really liked the dressings too.

I really like the BS.  I really don't know why, but this time it only took about 10 minutes to get to 854 degrees F.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 09:53:42 PM »
Norma

Offline parallei

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
Looking Good Norma! :chef:

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
I'm completely jealous
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
Mine comes next week.  But I'll be on a cruise.  So Pizza in about 11-12 days for me!  :(

Norma, your pizzas look freaking awesome!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
How did you enjoy the Taste Norma ?? threy look amazing
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »