Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 53092 times)

Offline redox

Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for telling me your idea for a name for my BS just popped into your head. 

The dough formulation I used is at Reply 67 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg270476.html#msg270476 and is almost the same formulation and mixing method I use at market.  I did use All Trumps flour too, just like I do at market.  I did use a little lower TF though.  If you want me to find the link to the dough formulation I use at market, let me know.

Norma
Norma,
I made a Lehman dough before I asked you about what formulation you use, so after I make this one, I'd like to try your formulation. I really like Chicago thin crust, particularly Garvey's version but NY is the style I most want to reproduce. Since my home oven can't get to 700 the BS is perfect for the job. I'll take a cue from you and start a thread to show what I'm turning out. Hopefully, I'll get some advice about how to improve it. Thanks for showing me where your dough formulation is located.
Jay

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
Norma,
I made a Lehman dough before I asked you about what formulation you use, so after I make this one, I'd like to try your formulation. I really like Chicago thin crust, particularly Garvey's version but NY is the style I most want to reproduce. Since my home oven can't get to 700 the BS is perfect for the job. I'll take a cue from you and start a thread to show what I'm turning out. Hopefully, I'll get some advice about how to improve it. Thanks for showing me where your dough formulation is located.
Jay

Jay,

I think almost any Lehmann dough formulation would work in the BS.  There is nothing magical about the formulation I used. 

I think if you want to make NY style pizzas in your BS you should start your own thread.  Keep notes on what temperatures you bake at and also the formulations you use.  I think you will get advice from other members if something doesn't turn out right for you.

Best of luck!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
I mixed two NY style doughs this morning both using 70/30 All Trumps and Occident Flour.  Both formulations are about the same, except for the Ischia preferment was used in the one formulation.  I was not sure of how much preferment to use to do a comparsion to using IDY to do a bulk ferment, so both dough balls won't be the same, because the preferment dough is going to be controlled temperature fermented in bulk, then balled and controlled temperature fermented again.  I used Craig's mixing methods of mixing both doughs, but the IDY version will be cold fermented.  I wanted to see if when using Craig's method of mixing the IDY formulation if it will give me a better dough that is easier to open.  Both doughs had the delayed method of adding the oil.  I also want to see if using the Ischia preferment will give a better tasting crust on the pizza, with a controlled temperature ferment.  So far Craig's mixing method gave me a dough and dough ball with the IDY that seems much better.  Both dough balls are going to be the same weight.

These are the formulations I am using, how the Ischia starter looked before being used, the preferment dough right out of the mixer, then the preferment dough to be controlled temperature fermented, the dough with IDY right out of the mixer and then the dough ball when it was balled and oiled after the stretch and folds.  Both doughs needed two sets of stretch and folds after letting the dough rest after it came out of the mixer.  Both doughs were mixed with the flat beater only and both doughs used cold water.

The dough balls will be used in the BS later tomorrow to make pizzas if all goes well.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
These are photos of the Ischia preferment NY style dough after it was controlled bulk fermented for about 12 hrs., then balled.  The controlled ferment was at temperatures between 62-66 degrees F.  The next photos are of how the NY style dough that had the IDY added as the yeast looks after about 12 hrs. in the fridge.  I had thought the NY style dough would ferment a little slower, but there are too many people in and out of the fridge and it is full, so I guess it is fermenting faster than I would like.

I am going to measure how high my bottom stone is raised tomorrow.  I didn't change it any since last week.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
These photos show how the NY style dough ball with IDY and the NY style with the starter are fermenting after about another 12 hrs.  They both look to be fermenting about the same, but the starter dough is much softer.  The IDY photos are first and the starter photos are next.  The last photo shows how far my steel plate is away from the bottom of my BS.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
In my opinion both NY style pizzas turned out well, but I preferred the taste of the sourdough NY style crust over the one made with IDY.  Both pizzas had good oven spring and a moist rims.  The other thing that was different is I baked the sourdough NY style pizza at 633 degrees F and then wanted more bottom crust browning, so I dialed the red knob up a little more until the bottom stone measured 655 degrees F with my IR gun.  The temperature was brought up to 677 degrees before I started to back it off with the red dial when I was heating the stone to begin with.

I think I was also lucky, because both dough balls did ferment about the same.  I never would have predicted the amounts of starter and IDY I used would have worked so well.  I have no idea why but the IDY dough ball was easier to open, although the starter dough really wasn't hard to open. 

I almost had a problem because I didn't realize it until I was almost ready to make the pizzas and then recalled I didn't bring my 14 aluminum peel home from market.  I then used my 14 wooden peel to retrieve the pizzas by putting the BBQ spatula under the pizza first then sliding the wooden peel under.  I also checked with my BBQ spatula to see how the bottom crust was browning different times. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »
Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
Beautiful, Norma
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline redox

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
Norma, your pizzas would end a prison hunger strike!
Beautiful.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
Beautiful.
I'm sure they have already.  :-D :drool:
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Bella, bella, bella! Buona, buona, buona! I can only imagine how delicious they taste. Very nice.

jb

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
beautiful Norma!  I need to try a NY in mine
Deb

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
Beautiful, Norma

Beautiful.

Bella, bella, bella! Buona, buona, buona! I can only imagine how delicious they taste. Very nice.

jb

beautiful Norma!  I need to try a NY in mine

Thank you Ron, Jay, jb and Deb for the kind words.

I don't think my pizzas would end a prison hunger strike Ron and Jay.   :-D

Deb you should try a NY style pizza in the BS.   ;D

I want to thank Craig too for his mixing methods!  ;)  I would like to use that method at market, but think it would take to much extra time with the stretch and folds.

Norma

Offline parallei

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Gorgeous pies Norma. :chef:  Your photo's with the flowers area treat too.

I've never tried a NY'er on my 2stone.  You've inspired me!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
Gorgeous pies Norma. :chef:  Your photo's with the flowers area treat too.

I've never tried a NY'er on my 2stone.  You've inspired me!

Paul,

Thanks!  I have lots of those perennial flowers outside, but the only pain is they all need to be cut down when they are done blooming.   :-D

I didn't know you never tried a NY'er on your 2stone.  Maybe you should try one.  It would be interesting to the see the results on your 2stone.  What temperature ranges do you get in your 2stone?

I don't think my BS will go a lot lower in temperature unless it is heated slower.  I wonder if anyone ever did a test to see if a constant lower temperature bake can be achieved.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
Very nice pies there Chickee!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline parallei

« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:44 PM »
Paul,

What temperature ranges do you get in your 2stone?

Norma

Norma,

You know, I've only run it below about 700F one  or two times.  A week or so ago I did a Sicilian style for lunch for my wife and a friend of hers.  (I only got the left overs the next day!)  It seemed to hold 475F (is) pretty well.   That is a temperature taken with an IR gun.  The 2Stone doesn't have a air temp thermometer like your BS. I like a "Hybrid" style at about 725 or so.

It'll get up to 1000F+, or at least peg out my IR gun, if I let it.  I've cleaned its Fibrament stone that way before.....not sure if I should really be doing that!

Paul