Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 48678 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
Chuck,
I think I am going to put my BS in my one shed over the wintertime.
Norma

Shed over the winter?? I'll be using mine right thru the winter me thinks. Even being in MN, I won't let the cold and snow stop me from BBQ'ing, grilling or now the BS. It'll be it's 1st winter and I think it will go just fine in the cold, at least make me feel "not as bad" about the cold :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
Norma,
When you put it away for the season, you might consider coating the bare steel with vegetable oil.  You'll have to do a burn out when you start up again.

Offline redox

« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »
Shed over the winter?? I'll be using mine right thru the winter me thinks. Even being in MN, I won't let the cold and snow stop me from BBQ'ing, grilling or now the BS. It'll be it's 1st winter and I think it will go just fine in the cold, at least make me feel "not as bad" about the cold :-D

jon
I wonder what temps the BS will get to when it's 20 outside? I plan on trying mine during the winter, too. If it's too much trouble then it's back to Chicago thin crust in a toasty warm kitchen and maybe a baking steel for the oven.

Offline redox

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »
Norma,
When you put it away for the season, you might consider coating the bare steel with vegetable oil.  You'll have to do a burn out when you start up again.
Probably a good idea to wrap the burner in plastic wrap to keep spiders out. That messes up a lot of gas grills that don't have a fine enough mesh to keep'em out.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

jon

Jon,

I don't know how safe it would be to use my BS in the shed, but we used to use propane burners in our shed to make candy and other stuff.  Either of the doors might be left open, or maybe some of the windows.  We even kept the propane tank in the shed before. 

Great to hear you are going to use your BS over the winter come whatever.  ;D I know what you mean about the cold.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
Norma,

Chuck,

Thanks for the suggestion to coat with vegetable oil.  :D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
Probably a good idea to wrap the burner in plastic wrap to keep spiders out. That messes up a lot of gas grills that don't have a fine enough mesh to keep'em out.

Thanks for the tip!  ;)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
I went to market today to find where I would be located at my outside stand to make the pizzas in the BS on Saturday at the Car, Truck & Cycle Event at Root's Saturday.  I was offered tables to use so at least I don't have to drag tables along.  The weather is supposed to be good on Saturday with a high of only about 68 degrees F.  I can plug my motor in for the BS if I bring a big enough extension cord along.  Now the problem I trying to decide how many dough balls to make and how much cheese to grate.  I have to get ice for my coolers and get other things ready.  The Event is from 7 AM to 2 PM and I have to have my van out before 6:45 AM, so that means I have to get up extra early to be able to take everything out of the van.  I probably should not have attempted something like this since I am getting older, but will see how it goes.

Norma 

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
Good luck Norma. Reminds me of doing BBQ comps where you have to setup an entire kitchen.

jb

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »
Good luck Norma. Reminds me of doing BBQ comps where you have to setup an entire kitchen.

jb

jb,

Thanks!  I thought I was going to put up my blue tent I put up before outside one time, but I am not sure if I can because I can't touch the regular weekly vendors frame that is there.  I am trying to write down the least amount of things I have to take along since the BS has to be taken apart for me to carry it.  I am doing this event by myself so it should be interesting.

I guess that setting up a whole kitchen was a bugger for the BBQ comps.

Norma

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
jb,

Thanks!  I thought I was going to put up my blue tent I put up before outside one time, but I am not sure if I can because I can't touch the regular weekly vendors frame that is there.  I am trying to write down the least amount of things I have to take along since the BS has to be taken apart for me to carry it.  I am doing this event by myself so it should be interesting.

I guess that setting up a whole kitchen was a bugger for the BBQ comps.

Norma

Yes, doing a BBQ comp is a lot of work, especially for one person. Washing stations, water heating, food storage, tables, cookers etc. Then having to haul water on top of that as they don't usually have running water at each space. Was a bit much for me as my back is not as good as it used to be. Still was great fun and I will do it again someday, though I'm going to try and recruit a helper.

jb

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Yes, doing a BBQ comp is a lot of work, especially for one person. Washing stations, water heating, food storage, tables, cookers etc. Then having to haul water on top of that as they don't usually have running water at each space. Was a bit much for me as my back is not as good as it used to be. Still was great fun and I will do it again someday, though I'm going to try and recruit a helper.

jb

jb,

Thanks for telling me more about all the work a BBQ comp is.  It made me tired even hearing about what you had to do.  Great to hear you would do it again though.  Hope you find a helper if you do it again.

I am lucky my back isn't bad, but lugging stuff around at my age gets me tired.  I lugged enough stuff around today and I am not near finished yet.  I also have to haul water around tomorrow. 

These are some of the dough balls I made today.  I decided since I had more Occident flour than All Trumps to use 75% Occident and 25% All Trumps.  Will be interesting to see how those pizzas turn out tomorrow.  It is supposed to be 48 degrees tomorrow morning so the BS will help keep me warm.  ;D

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Have Fun Norma! You'll do fine ! you do have a helper right ? let me know when you are ready for the next step  a WFO trailer  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
Have Fun Norma! You'll do fine ! you do have a helper right ? let me know when you are ready for the next step  a WFO trailer  ;D
John

John,

Thanks.  I don't know how much fun I will have, but will try to have some.  No, I don't have a helper.  I am not ready for the next step of a WFO trailer.  :-D  I can play around in Steve's if I get the urge.   ;D

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
Norma just do the best you can  and you will have fun pre stretch 3-4 at a time so you can just finish while cooking for 2 minutes. No bulk fermentation for those dough balls right?
right from mixer?
thanks
I am doing 13+ hour bulk today for sunday will ball tomorrow AM and still have another full day of Balled fermentation goodness :)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »
Norma just do the best you can  and you will have fun pre stretch 3-4 at a time so you can just finish while cooking for 2 minutes. No bulk fermentation for those dough balls right?
right from mixer?
thanks
I am doing 13+ hour bulk today for sunday will ball tomorrow AM and still have another full day of Balled fermentation goodness :)

John,

I will try to do the best I can.  I am not making Neapolitan pizzas today.  I think it would take people awhile in our area to warm-up to that type of pizza since there are no Neapolitan pizzerias in our area except Steve's at the Dragon.  I am just doing my regular boardwalk style of pizzas in the BS and am selling by the slice or whole pie.  I mixed the dough yesterday and it has been cold fermenting and I have to pick it up inside market this morning.

Your way of bulk fermenting the dough and then balling will give a balled fermentation goodness.  ;D Have fun with your dough balls and pizzas!

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
Good luck today Norma!  (you are probably already there setting up)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Good luck today Norma!  (you are probably already there setting up)

Thanks Deb,

Yes, I was at market by 6:00 AM this morning.  Thanks for the good luck!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
These are the photos from the Car, Truck and Cycle Event at Root's today.  The BS behaved well today and I still had a little propane left in the tank that I started using when I first filled it up when I purchased the BS.  I had taken an extra tank of propane along in case I needed it, but I didn't need it.  The BS was turned on from 8:00 AM until about 2:30 PM today so I thought that was good for how much propane it used in that amount of time and from the other bakes I had so far.

I had fun because I had nice vendors as neighbors and then Jeff (a member here on the forum) and Mark came to my stand and stayed awhile to talk and Jeff baked in the BS.  At the end of the day Steve and his wife came to visit me.  Steve baked two pizzas in the BS. 

It was really windy and cold today and I had problems keeping my things in place unless I put something on top of them.  My setup didn't look the greatest, but I did not want to spend money to try something for one day.  I didn't know how to cover my baked pizzas, but found 2.00 plastic bowls that did the job okay at the Dollar General Store.

Just remind me if I every say I am going to try something like this again not to do it.  :-D There is too much dragging around for the amount of money that was made.  I washed all the things that needed to be washed and put them away, but the BS is staying in the van until tomorrow.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
Norma

pizzapan