Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 17066 times)

Offline blaise

Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
Hi Craig,
I made a 0,1% dough at 60F for 34 hours which happened to be absolutely perfect, in terms of fermentation of course.
Now I need your help.
I just made a 0,150% dough which will mature during 70 hours at 39F. In fact the whole process of fermentation will take place in the fridge. I'll put the balls at room temperature just one and a half hour before cooking.
But I can't remember when I'm supposed to make the balls. I'm sure it's been discussed in several posts, but I really can't remember.
Any help would be appreciated !

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
Hi Craig,
I made a 0,1% dough at 60F for 34 hours which happened to be absolutely perfect, in terms of fermentation of course.
Now I need your help.
I just made a 0,150% dough which will mature during 70 hours at 39F. In fact the whole process of fermentation will take place in the fridge. I'll put the balls at room temperature just one and a half hour before cooking.
But I can't remember when I'm supposed to make the balls. I'm sure it's been discussed in several posts, but I really can't remember.
Any help would be appreciated !

Using the fridge isn't my thing, but I would error on the side of doing it sooner rather than later. I'd want at least 24 hours in balls.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »
Be sure to give the balls a couple hours at room temp before baking.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline blaise

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
Using the fridge isn't my thing, but I would error on the side of doing it sooner rather than later. I'd want at least 24 hours in balls.
The fact is that I'm supposed to serve these marvellous pizze on wednesday evening and I just had the opportunity to prepare the dough this evening (belgian time). This explains the fridge fermentation.
What would be your opinion about roughly 24 hours in bulk and 48 hours in balls or should it be more like 36 hours each ?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
The fact is that I'm supposed to serve these marvellous pizze on wednesday evening and I just had the opportunity to prepare the dough this evening (belgian time). This explains the fridge fermentation.
What would be your opinion about roughly 24 hours in bulk and 48 hours in balls or should it be more like 36 hours each ?

I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other. If you want me to decide, go 36+36.

I'd take a look at them at least 12 hours before you need them. If they don't look like they will be ready, you might want to pull them and warm the up.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline blaise

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
Thanks. I'll try 36+36, and I'll keep you posted !

Offline blaise

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:44 AM »
Finally, I decided to warm the balls up 6 hours before baking time. And it appeared to be a bit short !
On the other hand, I had balls in bowls and balls on trays. It seems that the balls in the bowls rise and bake better than the ones on trays, which naturally spread flat. Does this make sense to you ?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
Finally, I decided to warm the balls up 6 hours before baking time. And it appeared to be a bit short !
On the other hand, I had balls in bowls and balls on trays. It seems that the balls in the bowls rise and bake better than the ones on trays, which naturally spread flat. Does this make sense to you ?

The rise might look different (up vs out), but I'm surprised there was a difference in the overall amount of rise. Perhaps the trays conduct less heat into the balls? Just be sure to keep notes on what you did and what happened so you can make appropriate corrections. It won't take you long to zero in on what works for you.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
Hi Craig:

Are you planning on turning this into an excel model similar to the one you made for sourdough starter?  And/or, could you email me the table of numbers - I was thinking of building one as I did with the starter. 

OR

Is the table based on a model that you can supply with the constants, etc.?

Thanks!

Mitch

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 03:37:19 AM »
Using Garvey's Pizza Factory recipe linked here http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=16 I incorporated your model Craig. I've been kind of watching from the bleachers and finally have the time to give it an honest try. I'm going for about 16 hours at 68 degrees in my house and bulk at 800g total and will ball 1/2 way thru into 2 400g balls. The one change I've made to Garvey's recipe is 50/50 HG flour to GM 00 flour. I tried it once without your table, using only his measurements and it was superb!! Thought this would be a good one to try on your table. Will try to post some pics

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
After 8 hours, then divided and re-balled. It was increased in size by about 1.5X

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
re-balled for another 8 hours or so

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
About 3-4 hours to go and they are almost doubled showing good activity

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
Jon, nice trophy wall! Man your dough grows big, my last controlled temp ferment 61-63F from the chart, was much less growth, but turned out great. Happy baking.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
Jon, nice trophy wall! Man your dough grows big, my last controlled temp ferment 61-63F from the chart, was much less growth, but turned out great. Happy baking.
Mark

Like they say, 'shoulda seen the ones that got away'!! :-D Here's the 1st one I took across the street for the granddaughters, plain cheese and sauce. The grown up one will be next with homemade Italian sausage from rib trimmings, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and green olives

jon
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:51:45 PM by Jackitup »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
Freggin' great looking pizza there!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
Soooo, topped as described above and also a bit of feta in there too, always goes great when olives are in the game. The other cheeses are my usual 50/50 mozz and prov. Here's the formulation with the 'Craig Table' yeast adjustment. This worked VERY well and look forward to using it more with other dough types and bread too. BIG THANK YOU to Craig for doing this and all the ground work for making this so easy for all of us!!!!! I used 2,  400 gram dough balls and hand stretched as much as I could and TEASED it with a rolling pin the rest of the way to get it to 16". There was a lot of bubbles still in the dough before being topped. Light, crispy and still sturdy enough to hold the toppings. Bulked for about 8 hours and re-balled into 2 balls for the other 8, think I mentioned that earlier too. One more thing of importance, this was the 2nd time I used 50/50 GM 00 and Kyrol HG but the first time using the Craig Table, probably the best Chicago Thin crust to date!!!

jon

Flour___ 498g
water __ 249g
yeast___.25g (dough generator for original recipe would have been 2.492g, 10X more)
salt____ 4.98g
sugar___4.98g
oil_____39.9g
total___800g

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
Freggin' great looking pizza there!

You get some of the kudos there pal, your table works pretty damned good so far and the 1st time I've used it too!!

jon

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
Craig, thanks for putting this chart and model together.  I will only post relevant stuff here, the pizzas made with this dough can be found here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27075.msg289850.html#new

I used values of 62F and 23 hours to come up with 0.06% ADY.  Using a bowl of water and a thermometer, I determined that the actual fermentation temperature was ~60.5F.

The first picture is at 16 hours, and the second is at 23 hours.  I would have liked the dough to ferment a bit more, but the flavor and even the crumb was great for NY style.  You can make of the bubble structure what you want, but I would say that if the actual fermentation temperature was 62F, the dough would have been perfect.  Sorry for the bad pictures, I was using a heavy Pyrex dish, and it was tough to hold up and take the photos at the same time and in good light.

Dan

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »
Craig this Baker's yeast quantity prediction model rocks. This is the 3rd time I've used it and it's been pretty much right on the mark This is hour 15 of 18 and the dough has about doubled. So it will be 18 hours, avg temp of 70 and used .032%. REALLY like this a lot!!

jon