Author Topic: Re: Land O' Lakes Cheddar Cheese--NEPA  (Read 754 times)

Offline NepaBill

Re: Land O' Lakes Cheddar Cheese--NEPA
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania..  There are several "pizza supply" businesses in my area, that are open to the public..  One of the most used cheeses in local pizza shops is a cheddar cheese made by Land O'Lakes (L.O.L.)..  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pizza joints locally that use mozzarella, but they aren't my favorite..  I don't find much flavor in mozzarella cheese.  I was told by someone at a restaurant  supply called City-Mager, that they sell over 40,000lbs/month of L.O.L. cheese to pizza shops.  Considering they are not the only restaurant supply in town, that is a lot of cheese!!  You will never find anything in a grocery store that comes close to the taste of this cheese.   Most store brand cheddar's are sharp in taste.  This is a very mild cheddar aged less than 6 months.  It is creamy when cooked properly, and becomes vulcanized rubber if overcooked.  I am pasting a link to one of the local suppliers.  While this isn't the place I frequent, they do have a website for you to browse.  The place I prefer, due to the fact they will sell L.O.L. cheese by the pound, and not make you buy a 42lb block is City-Mager in Wilkes-Barre, PA.  Hopefully you can find places like this where you live.  Good Luck!

http://www.genoafoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=7
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:42:48 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
NepaBill,

I now also use a mild white cheddar on most of my pizza products.  I also like how the mild white cheddar tastes and melts on a pizza.  My supplier sells a lot of the mild white cheddar to pizza operators in the larger size blocks in my area.  Mine isn't Land O' Lakes though, but thanks for the link.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Re: Land O' Lakes Cheddar Cheese--NEPA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
I constantly try different cheese combo's on pizza and have used many cheddars over the years. I have often commented that I feel that a lot of pizzerias add cheddar to their mozzarella as a way of amping up the flavor. Land o Lakes is a mild cheddar, as are the cheddars from Great Lakes Cheese. One "problem" (as some people see it, but not necessarily the way I see it) is that cheddar tends to "oil off" more than mozzarella, so you have to be conservative in it's use. Presently I prefer to blend mild provolone and fontina cheese with my mozzarella, but I will still use some cheddar on occasion. Another great cheese to blend with your mozz is cheese curds, the infancy stage of cheddar. Many cheeses work on pizza, I just try to stay away from extremely sharp cheeses as they ruin the taste for me.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
I constantly try different cheese combo's on pizza and have used many cheddars over the years. I have often commented that I feel that a lot of pizzerias add cheddar to their mozzarella as a way of amping up the flavor. Land o Lakes is a mild cheddar, as are the cheddars from Great Lakes Cheese. One "problem" (as some people see it, but not necessarily the way I see it) is that cheddar tends to "oil off" more than mozzarella, so you have to be conservative in it's use. Presently I prefer to blend mild provolone and fontina cheese with my mozzarella, but I will still use some cheddar on occasion. Another great cheese to blend with your mozz is cheese curds, the infancy stage of cheddar. Many cheeses work on pizza, I just try to stay away from extremely sharp cheeses as they ruin the taste for me.
I love using a provolone mix with a bit of asiago fresco with mozzarella.  Muenster is another of my favorites to mix in.  Heavens...I do think we love to play around with cheese.   :-D