Author Topic: My first Pizzamaking.com entry!! NY + Pan pie  (Read 646 times)

Offline Hobbs

My first Pizzamaking.com entry!! NY + Pan pie
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
So tonight I cooked up 4 NY street style pies and a pan pie....my pan pie was somewhat a failure, unfortunately...

All pies were made from a bulk dough and the components were as follows

GM All Trumps bromated 100%
Hydration was 63%
2% sugar
.5% IDY
2.5% Mortons kosher salt

Process:

I added %75 of the flour, all the sugar and IDY to the water (bottled Dasani which was chilled) and set to autolyze for 20-25 mins. At this point I  did a wet knead for about 2 minutes on mix, added the salt and mixed for 20 seconds and then incorporated the rest of the flour in a period of about 2-3 minutes.

At this point the dough was shaggy still so I removed it and then stretched and folded a couple times with a rough knead or two until it was smoothed out.

At this point I made my dough balls... 4 balls @ 320g for the NY style pizzas and 1 600g dough ball for the pan pie. (16" x 2").  They were placed in plastic containers with lids and cold fermented for about 44 hours. They were re-balled @ 24 hours and placed back in the cooler.

The balls were taken out to come up to room temp before opening.

This batch of dough opened up beautifully, smooth with great windopaning.

For the sauce I used Stanislaus Tomato Magic with a 3 tsp of sugar, 3 tsp of kosher salt, 1 tsp of oregano and thyme and a little EVOO. The cheese used was Luigi brand mozzarella (more on this later), it was a mixture of 50/50 Part Skim and Whole.

The oven was set to 550 and preheated for an hour. The first two pies were plain pies for my sons, daughter and myself. :)

Offline Hobbs

Re: My first Pizzamaking.com entry!! NY + Pan pie
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »
Here's a few more pics..

One is a chicken scampi pie w/ just EVOO + Garlic and a few dabs of butter w/ sauteed chicken breast and cheese

And the second is Hawaiian...(my wifes favorite) Pineapple + black forest ham

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
Nice color on the crust and great looking hole structure!

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Hey dhorst, thanks! Much appreciated!

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
Very nice looking pies! I'll bet they were delicious.  :drool:

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Thank you Redox,

Yes they were very good! The texture and taste of the crust was what I have been aiming for and I am dialing it in more and more each bake. It was crispy and tender on the inside...I just need a bigger peel so I can build a bigger pie for better folding action.

I will post up the pan pie pics in a few!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
Nice looking pies Hobbs!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
Thanks Norma, appreciated!

Here is the results from the pan pie...

Same bulk dough...same process when it was balled up. 44 hour cold ferment w/ re-ball @ 24 hours. The only difference here was, once brought to room temp, I dumped it into the pan and spread it to the edges and left to rise again for a par-bake

I had two bumps in the road here....

1 - the dough fought me the whole way staying stretched to the edges... I'm guessing I didn't give the dough enough time to come up to temp. It twice the volume as the NY dough balls and maybe it could have used another 30-40 mins...

Due to this, I really beat the hell out of it...I pressed and pressed and pressed and pressed....and went against conventional wisdom of just letting it sit for a little while longer.

2 - I am assuming, due to the former set of events, this is why I didn't get a nice second rise on the dough..went I put it to proof in the dishwasher...it just wouldn't rise significantly. When I put it to par-bake..it had some oven spring, but not what I envisioned.

I also think I may need more than a 600g dough ball to use this pan...

The color was perfect for me...the bottom crust was nice and fried and crisp. But I have had terrible inconsistency with my sicilian/grandma/bakes....I have had them range from VERY good to very "meh"..And the biggest issue is nailing the spring.

I have yet to venture into 70% hydration ranges for any kind of pan bake.. and I think that's where I might be headed.

You can see by the pics... I was trying to get the caramelized cheese rim....and I would had pulled it off had there been a better rise/more volume.

At first, I opined this pie was an unmitigated disaster...A little overdone, but we prefer all our pies on the well done side. The flavors were perfect and the crust has that nice slightly greasy, crispy crunch that comes with a good pan pie.

Just gonna take more reps to nail these...

The ironic part is...I have always thought it would be the hardest to nail hand tossing NY style pies but I am MUCH closer to where I want to be making variations of that style than I am with pan pies...

Pan pies are a tougher beast, at least for me, to conquer!!  :-[

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:47:40 AM by Hobbs »