Author Topic: New Haven pizza crawl??  (Read 9040 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

New Haven pizza crawl??
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
let's hear about it, I want to know how it was!

Offline communist

Re: New Haven pizza crawl??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
 ^^^

scott123

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
I think we're all recuperating.  On paper, it didn't look that grueling, but, in reality, it ended up being the most strenuous tour I've ever done. The 5 hour drive didn't help.

I thought the tour was phenomenal.  There were some let downs, such as Modern being closed for vacation and Sally's A/C not functioning all that well, but, like most of these kinds of events, it was all about the people, and this was a truly great group.  This is coming up to around the sixth time that I've gotten together with people from this site, and, every time, I'm amazed by how awe-inspiring everyone I meet is. As far as I'm concerned, we could have gone to 3 burger places and it still would have been a sensational event. The pizza was icing on the cake.

I came into this with very high expectations for the pizza, and, I have to admit, some aspects of the places we went to met those expectations, and some did not.  The people didn't disappoint, but some of the pizza did.

I'll expand on these thoughts later as well as post some photos.  I shot some video at Pepe's that ended up being interrupted by the owner of Pepe's tapping my shoulder and initiating a conversation with John, Nick and I (the OWNER of Pepes!). I'll see what I can salvage from it.  It's not like Pepe's hasn't been filmed before.

Bottom line, I love pizza and I love people that love pizza.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »
thanks Scott, I had @dhorst and her husband as dinner guests at my home last night and got some of the lowdown, would love  to see your pictures. I would have loved to have been there, but work and the fact that I'm acclimating a new dog into the household made it impossible. Hope to join in next time, meanwhile I love the stories and pictures.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
The Aleppo Queen! Did Diana tell you that our waiter at Sally's took some Aleppo?  I also gave some to another woman standing nearby who I thought worked there, but was actually just another customer.  I blame it all on the heat.

As I said on the tour, next time I'm bringing peyote, since Sally's was a sweat lodge. I think my spirit animal might be pepperoni now.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:06:03 AM »
I heard about the aleppo and the heat in Sally's, and Jeff was very impressed with a clam pie. You'd think they could spring for AC, but that's probably how they keep the crowd moving, sweat um out the door! :-D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
I'll second everything that Scott said, and add some color commentary from my perspective.

I couldn't believe seeing the Gone Fishing sign at Modern our first stop (see deb415611's pic below). What a start... you'd think that they would have put something about being on vacation for a week on their website! Everyone was pretty calm about it (I was not happy, to say the least), but the consolation was that we knew we'd get more time at Pepe's, which was our next stop.

I knew it was going to be a bellybusting tour when the order for 5 large pies went in a Pepe's (and they take large pretty seriously). Good pies, with my favorite being one of their signature pies - the clam pie. Their tomato and mozz pie was also really good.

Then we waddled down the street to Sally's, which has always been an enigma to me... long waits, even after you're seated... pies that are scorched at times... indifferent service. I've never really understood the fuss. This time, as Scott said, it was Sally's Sweat Lodge. Long wait for the pies to come, and their signature tomato pie... meh. The char level was on the low side on all our pies (2 large; 2 small). But Diana (dhorst) got to share her aleppo chilli with us (and two strangers), and Frank (polishpizza) was reunited with his favorite waiter (who was a hoot), so that made up for it. But it confirmed my ambivalence about Sally's, and I won't go back any time soon.

The surprise of the tour was Zuppardi's in West Haven, even though it shoudn't have been, given the way Nick (gabaghool) had talked about it. Only two small pies (we were tapering, I guess), but the fresh clam pie was spectacular (different from, and way better than Pepe's IMHO). It's hard to describe their crust - crispy but airy at the same time. I think even Scott was shocked at how good a 12-minute bake could be (judging by the muttering going on about how it was challenging everything he believed abut sub-4 minute bakes... well maybe not everything >:D).

One of the best things about the tour was the generosity of the people. It started in the parking lot at Modern, where Deb shared VT peperoni, Scott shared flour, and I shared a 42-pound steel plate (yes, Scott finally has a steel plate to call his own). It continued at Sally's, where Diana shared aleppo chilli with everyone, including two strangers, at Zuppardis's where Deb shared smoked sea salt, and culminated in the Zuppardi's parking lot where Nick shared flour, cans of tomatoes and loaves of Calabro cheese. I remember thinking that it was a good thing that there weren't any police around... it looked like a weird, middle-aged drug deal going down minus the drugs.

All in all, a terrific tour (except for missing Modern) with the highlight being getting to spend time with some wonderful pizza lovin' people. I didn't take any photos, but I'm sure others will.

I'm going to post a link to this in the invitation thread.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
Quote from: bfguilford link=topic=27022.msg273600#msg273600 date=1376742201
It's hard to describe their crust - crispy but airy at the same time. I think even Scott was shocked at how good a 12-minute bake could be (judging by the muttering going on about how it was challenging everything he believed abut sub-4 minute bakes... well maybe not everything >:D)

:o ;D
Josh

Offline derricktung

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
Zuppardi's was our clear winner for us when we did our tour of New Haven za places as well... Sally's was closed (only open for dinner, unbeknowest to us) so we were able to hit Pepe's, Modern, and Zuppardi's.

Honestly, we weren't big fans of Modern's, as their pizza was quite oily... likely in part due to their oil fired oven (very cool to see functioning, but made for very greasy pizza).

Since we started at Zuppardis, Pepe's was a let down as we went after their clam pie... Zuppardi's definitely has a very interesting crust and a phenomenal pizza hidden away in the New Haven neighborhoods. 

Offline dhorst

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
I must say I had a great time meeting everyone.  It was neat meeting everyone and putting a face to everyone's online personas.  I think the husband was a bit astonished that we could talk so much about dough, cheese and tomatoes.  He still thinks I'm a bit weird and pizza obsessed, but now knows there are others out there.  He also now understands why I get cranky when I have to go the emergency dough route.
Deb, thanks for the Vermont smoked pepperoni.  We've already killed one stick--the guys love it.  Scott thanks for the flour and the screen.  I used some of the flour for pizza that I made last night.  Pics to follow.  Nick, thanks very much for the tomatoes and cheese.  The tomatoes will be used this weekend for a block party, and I've already broken into the cheese which is really great.
To all, thank you for helping me spread some Aleppo love.  I'm on a mission and you guys delighted me with your interest.  Scott, you gave me great joy, when I saw you inhaling the aroma from the Aleppo. :-D

The pizza...Zuppardi's clam pie was my favorite.  Sally's crust was the winner for me--but not the sweat lodge aspect and I didn't care for their tomato sauce.  Pepe's had the best tomato sauce and I really liked our waiter.

All in all a great time and I hope to see everyone again!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
c'mon, who's got some pictures? Someone had a camera, they took a picture of the 'closed" sign! :(

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
c'mon, who's got some pictures? Someone had a camera, they took a picture of the 'closed" sign! :(

^^^ :-D
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
OK guys I  worked from 9 -2 yard work then off to Pizza party for 80 people 3-11pm then  today packed up the blackstone and off to beach! a bit beat up and was hoping someone might have a few shots up by now ?
well here ya go Kids !
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:40:13 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
Agreed dont go on a crawl Hungry cus the first place will knock you down ! way way way too much could have done 1 large  did 3 and a few small  :drool: rediculous . Real pleasur talking to the owner of Pepes !!
Pies were great liked the clam and the tomatoe w/ mozz also had a pulled chicken white meat  not some fried crap and a pepperoni and a tomatoe and a ... cant even rember but here they are and our tester scott in action !
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:12:05 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
On to Sally's Sweat Box. where again 2 small would have been more than ample OK lets get 2 large and a few small  OMG! ??? we did not want to be rude and not oreder enough taking up the big table but I would have gladly paid another $20 in the tip  to not go so nuts!  Frank wanted to get the cool waiter back on his side  and he did! got the go ahead to knock on the window next time and in like flint :)
Place is in the twilight zone not sure what all the buzz is about just hype? did like the crust  better than Pepes but tomatoes were sub par and quite Blah. The potatoe pie was  excellent (1 of the 2 small) and my favorite of SSB  beyond that much more more fun hanging around with the great company as we were waiting over an  hour to be served ! and sitting on metal chairs  cofused scott and my taste buds  Here they are these are some big ass pies
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:14:12 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:08 PM »
Zuppardis YES my  fav. Bags of all trumps all over 10 min bake and dlicious family runwe were waited on by one of the grandsughters and Scott talked to a gentleman pounding his  budwieser  who had been comign there for 40 + years !!!  nothing has changed fresh clams had to have been few dozen on there !! Garlic butter sauce was delicious !! Nick was sopping it up  with the crust amazing !!  My favorite of the trip ! and a house made sauage was killer as well 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
As mentioned THANK YOU  everyone for the great goodies smoked sea salt Deb Apello love from Diane and  St. Nick AKA Santa  :-D Hooked us up with some serious samples he was given ? we Had to take them!  I have a loaf of Calabro WM Mozz. Valporiso and 6 in one, tomatoes as well as the 6in 1 and fillets from eschalon  oh all # 10 Cans !! WOW 
(blind taste test) Valpo beat out the stanislous alta cucina!  Nick you are right they are great !!
than you all and great to meeet everyone !!!
Now Post some reviews and pics !!
John
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:26:04 PM by JConk007 »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
I had a little taste of the "booty" from our tour at lunch today. I picked my first Brandywine tomato of the season (which was incredibly flavorful) and sliced it thick on top of some ciabatta (bought; not made, but good). Just a little mayo, on with the tomato and a sprinkling of Deb's smoked sea salt on half and Diana's aleppo on the other. Two very different and really good tastes, so I combined them both on a spare slice.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

scott123

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Alright, I've got my photos.  A quick preface:

1. John takes better photos (for now  >:D )
2. Many of these are redundant with John
3. No group shot (I thought of it after Sally's but we were just too haggard)
4. Descriptions in file names

First, Pepes.

scott123

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »
Then Sally's:

pizzapan