Author Topic: Basic rim forming question  (Read 113 times)

WarEagle09 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online WarEagle09

• I Love Pizza!
Basic rim forming question
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
When you top a pie, you always leave the toppings an inch or so from the perimeter so a crust is formed (for most pizzas). When shaping a dough, does the rim need to be the same width as your crust? Or do you press the dough out farther, and then leave the sauce, cheese, etc, short of the rim you formed/

Offline Gags

Re: Basic rim forming question
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:45:15 PM »
Interesting question and I'll be curious how others approach it.

For me, I press down the center of the disk with my fingers parallel with the table surface.  This will help strengthen it and it also helps get gasses out to the cornicione.  Then, for NY style, I do the knuckle drape / steering wheel technique, then an air toss or two.  For Neapolitan, I do the Napoli slap, then drape over both hands to finish the stretch and set it down.

When dressing, especially for NY style, which tend to carry heavier loads of ingredients, I get the sauce to within 3/4" from the edge, and I bias the ingredients towards the outside perimeter.  In other words, the spacing between toppings will be greater in the middle of the pie.  This compensates for the tendency of the toppings to slide toward the center as the crust forms.

Hope that helps!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Online WarEagle09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:08:21 PM »
Interesting question and I'll be curious how others approach it.

For me, I press down the center of the disk with my fingers parallel with the table surface.  This will help strengthen it and it also helps get gasses out to the cornicione.  Then, for NY style, I do the knuckle drape / steering wheel technique, then an air toss or two.  For Neapolitan, I do the Napoli slap, then drape over both hands to finish the stretch and set it down.

When dressing, especially for NY style, which tend to carry heavier loads of ingredients, I get the sauce to within 3/4" from the edge, and I bias the ingredients towards the outside perimeter.  In other words, the spacing between toppings will be greater in the middle of the pie.  This compensates for the tendency of the toppings to slide toward the center as the crust forms.

Hope that helps!

When shaping the dough, do you press it out further than 3/4'', or do you not touch the last 3/4'' edge of the dough ball? Or, asked another way, if you want to leave a 3/4'' rim, do you not touch the final 3/4'' of the pie when you shape the dough?

Offline Gags

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:21:20 PM »
Oh, I see...

Unless there are some crazy big bubbles that emerge in my crust that I need to burst, I generally don't touch the crust when forming the pie.  That allows the gasses to stay intact and helps form a nice, airy crust.

Here was my most recent NY style. 
You might be able to tell the the crust is untouched on the raw pepperoni pie.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28683.msg288630#msg288630
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:28:53 PM »
I usually press the dough and leave the last 1/4" to 1/2" untouched, and I do not sauce ~1" of the rim. When the crust forms, it moves inward and lifts up the un-sauced portion of the dough, as well as some of the sauced. You'd have a fairly substantial crust size if you did not press out that inch of un-sauced dough, and in some instances it may actually hurt your oven spring. Either way it's a waste of dough IMO.

Josh

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:04:06 PM »
 When I'm opening the dough to make the skin I try not to touch the edge portion unless I need to address some unwanted bubble(s), then when I'm dressing the skin I like to keep the sauce 1/4 to 1/2-inch away from the edge of the skin, this allows the dough to rise more in that portion, creating a nice raised edge on my finished pizza. You can control the size of the raised edge by adjusting how much of the edge of the skin you leave untouched, and by how close to the edge you apply the sauce. As for application of toppings I always load the skin more out toward the edges and lighter in the center section. This is for two reasons, one, the toppings will flow toward the center as the edge of the crust raises during baking and two, the lighter center loading allows the center of the pizza to get a better bake resulting in an averall crispier bottom to the pizza (helps to eliminate the droopy center or point of the slice). This puts me right in the center of the pack with the rest of the responses
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan