Author Topic: How to cook the perfect pizza in an oven at home  (Read 40 times)

nickmm22 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online nickmm22

• I Love Pizza!
How to cook the perfect pizza in an oven at home
« on: Yesterday at 10:38:19 PM »
Last night we made pizzas at home. Although they were edible, some part of the cooking process needs finessing. What we ended up with was crusts that were crunchy ie overcooked and a base that had no colour at all. Although the dough was cooked it just had not bite or texture to it.

I am following a book called Pizza by Pete Evans, a chef here in Australia. Initially I made the dough which consisted of 250 ml lukewarm water, 2 teaspoons yeast, 1.25 teaspoons sugar, 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, 475g (1lb 1oz) strong flour and 1.25 teaspoons salt. I did have to add a little more water to get the dough to bind.

The dough was made, left to prove for an hour, punched, left to prove again for 15 minutes then rolled into four 12 inch pizza bases. At this moment I have no issues with the dough making process and my finished product.

Following the instructions I placed a pizza stone in the oven and set the temp to 250 degs/500F. The pizza were placed on baking paper before going onto the stone. The book said this was the easiest way to get the pizza onto the stone. The pizza's were cooked for 12 minutes, and as mentioned above the bases were cooked but had not colour or bite, expect for the edges which were bordering on being burnt. For the last pizza I even took the stone out the oven and placed in on the baking paper directly on the bars. Again getting the same result.

So any help would be appreciated so that I can make a traditional pizza in my oven that has a base cooked correctly from the edges to the centre.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: How to cook the perfect pizza in an oven at home
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:47:56 AM »
Nick;
A couple of things jumped out at me. 1) You mention that you had to add a little extra water to get the dough to bind. This might indicate that your dough absorption is still too low for optimum results. Additional water will give you a softer dough that is easier to p\open into pizza skins, but more importantly, it will allow the dough to spring during baking, creating a lighter textured crust with open/large holes which will help the dough to brown during baking. 2) your dough doesn't seem to be getting very much fermentation. To keep things simple you might just try allowing the dough to ferment for an hour or so after mixing, then portioning it for each crust, form each dough portion into a ball, lightly oil the dough ball and drop into individual plastic bags, no need to seal tight, just twist the open end to close and tuck under the dough ball and place into the fridge to cold ferment for a minimum of 24-hours, but you might find that 48 or more hours is better. To make your pizzas from the refrigerated dough balls, remove from the fridge and allow to temper at room temperature for about 2-hours, then open into pizza skins, dress and bake as you normally do. I just made several pizzas last week while on vacation following this procedure and the pizzas all came out great, good color, crispy, and great flavor.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jackitup

Re: How to cook the perfect pizza in an oven at home
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:59:41 AM »
Everything Tom said, and if you try for the longer fermentation times I would cut back on the yeast by 50-75%. 2 tsp is a lot, maybe try 1/2-3/4 tsp and adjust from there per your results. Some pics would sure help too, showing the dough at start and finish of fementing and some finished pie pics, top, cross section and upskirt

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan