Author Topic: cold ferment questions  (Read 279 times)

Offline sallam

cold ferment questions
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:38 AM »
Greetings

I intend to start a home business, and currently experimenting with cold fermenting the dough to be prepared ahead of delivery orders. The type of pizzas I make is thick pan-like pizza. I use 800g dough for each 16" tray. I shape in trays. I don't dust the ball with flour. I use oil instead, so the finished pizza gets a fried bottom (by the way, what do you call such style: 16"+thick+fried bottom?)

Yesterday I tried 1 ts of IDY with 1000g flour (0.3%), hand mixed and kneaded, then cut, balled and stored in covered plastic containers in the fridge. In only 12 hours it doubled in size, 3 more hours and almost trippled! So obviously I need much less yeast, right? I'm thinking of 1/4 ts for 1kg (0.075%) which is the amount I'm used to, when fermenting in room temp (it would then be ready for shaping in 5-6h).

My second question regards when to start shaping a cold-fermented ball.
What happens if you shaped a cold ball right out of the fridge? what is the difference in characteristics between waiting for the dough to warm up to room temp and not waiting, in regards to:

a- manageability during shaping (in pan tray, no tossing) (which is more easy to shape in place and less rubbery?)

b- oven rise (which rises better in the oven?)

c- baked skin size (does it shrink if cold-shaped?)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:49:56 AM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: cold ferment questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
sallam,

What temperature is your refrigerator?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline sallam

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
Sorry I have no tool to take fridge temp.
What about the other questions? Any tips?
I'm a home baker.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
Are you going to let it rise in the pan, after opening the dough? Most people give the dough an hour or two at room temperature before opening the ball. Sometimes it's easier to open a cool ball, though (a dough that's too sticky to open warm is more manageable). Stretch the corners a little too far, so they spring back and fill the pan evenly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:01:22 AM by vtsteve »

Offline sallam

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
Thank for the reply
You are right about over stretching.

My fridge is not big enough. Do you think I can cold ferment the bulk of dough, then cut what I need later and shape into balls?
I was thinking, since the cold dough needs 1 or 2h to warm down anyway, it could re rise again during the time?
Could the warm down time be used as a second rise at the same time, either as balls or shaped in pans?
I'm a home baker.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:22:46 AM »
You certainly can do a bulk cold ferment, and ball as needed. If you can get a thermometer and see what temperature your fridge is holding, it would make it easier to find a yeast percentage that works for you. You should probably mix with cold water and get it right into the fridge.

Offline sallam

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:08:40 AM »
You certainly can do a bulk cold ferment, and ball as needed.
That's great to know. Saves me a lot of trouble.
I'm a home baker.

pizzapan