Author Topic: New U.S. Caputo Website  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
New U.S. Caputo Website
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
In a recent email exchange with Fred Mortati at Orlando Foods, I mentioned that some of our members were having problems with inoperative links at the Caputo Italian website that were directed to the specs for their products. Today, in reply to that email, Fred informed me that Caputo now has a U.S. website and asked me if I would let the members know of that recent addition. Here it is: http://caputoflour.com/.

As will be noted, the specs are there for all the Caputo flours. To access the specs, one should click on the Products/Specs link.

Peter

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: New U.S. Caputo Website
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
Thank you Peter.   I just took a quick look.  The first Neapolitan dough recipe is quite odd looking.  It is 80% hydration and includes baking soda. 

Do you think they really meant 80%?

- Mitch

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
Mitch,

You are right, that recipe is odd. For a Neapolitan dough using the Caputo Pizzeria flour, the highest hydration value that I can recall on the forum for that flour was around 67%. And that was by a member who had exceptional dough making skills. I have no idea as to the purpose of the baking soda.

Peter

Offline GreenpointPizzaGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
In a recent email exchange with Fred Mortati at Orlando Foods, I mentioned that some of our members were having problems with inoperative links at the Caputo Italian website that were directed to the specs for their products. Today, in reply to that email, Fred informed me that Caputo now has a U.S. website and asked me if I would let the members know of that recent addition. Here it is: http://caputoflour.com/.

As will be noted, the specs are there for all the Caputo flours. To access the specs, one should click on the Products/Specs link.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting this link. Now I know there has been extensive discussion on here of the caputo red vs the caputo blue and that they are the same thing. However, I noticed when you click on the product specific links that there are a number of differences, specifically the protein percentage:

http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00-Pizzeria-SPECS.pdf

http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00-Chef-Flour-SPECS.pdf

There also appear to be a number of other differences that a relative pizza novice like myself isn't exactly sure what they mean.

I wonder if you or anyone else can help with the confusion. Thanks!

Mark

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
I've never seen anyone here say Caputo Red and Blue are the same product.  I have heard people say many times that Caputo Blue and the small red retail bags of chef flour are the same flour.
-Jeff

Offline GreenpointPizzaGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
I've never seen anyone here say Caputo Red and Blue are the same product.  I have heard people say many times that Caputo Blue and the small red retail bags of chef flour are the same flour.

That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. The chef's flour and blue are the links I provided.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »

I noticed the same thing Jeff noted above: the 1 kg red bag Chef's flour and the 25 kg blue bag Pizzaria are not the same specs.  The retail sized Chef's flour is showing 13.5% protein vs. the 12.75% Pizzaria blue bag 25 kg.  I don't get the same tenderness I've experienced in pizzaria's that use the bulk 12.75% protein flour.  In fact, I get about the same toughness as KASL handled/baked similarly on my Blackstone or 2Stone.  But that could be my workflow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:04:11 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline foodimp

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Guys,
I want to jump in here in an attempt to clear things up a bit, even though this is a confusing conversation for a few reasons.  When Caputo first launched the 1kg pack it was in fact the same flour used as the 00 Pizzeria blue bag.  Over time and with a bit of market feedback there have been some changes, as only you dedicated pizzaiuoli have noted quite honestly, so compliments on the great depths to which you all go to develop the perfect crust.  At some point, however, certain specific characteristics of the 00 pizzeria were limiting the success which the average home chef was finding with our flour (among other things it requires "softer" hands than domestic flours with which people were accustomed to using).  For this and some other reasons we modified the formula in the 1kg bag to be more user friendly and yet deliver that same wonderful caputo flavor in breads, pizza and pasta (the basics for which people read cookbooks use 00 flours at home).
We did not consider the impact this could have on the true pizza fanatic at home, and for that I apologize, for we may have forced you into buying 25 kg of pizzeria flour at a time.  Or you can call Penn Mac in Pittsburgh who sells 5# repacked bags of the 00 pizzeria and ships all around the country.
Keep the flame going because thanks to you all, this forum has become the leading source of GOOD information on the market and more than you all realize, is a resource for many people developing Neapolitan pizza concepts in the commercial world.
hope this answers some questions.
Fred Mortati
Orlando Food Sales

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
Mr. Mortati
Thanks very much for the straight scoop. 

Regards
Chuck

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
I noticed the same thing Jeff noted above: the 1 kg red bag Chef's flour and the 25 kg blue bag Pizzaria are not the same specs.  The retail sized Chef's flour is showing 13.5% protein vs. the 12.75% Pizzaria blue bag 25 kg.  I don't get the same tenderness I've experienced in pizzaria's that use the bulk 12.75% protein flour.  In fact, I get about the same toughness as KASL handled/baked similarly on my Blackstone or 2Stone.  But that could be my workflow.

I do not get it.  It seems way to hard to decipher the protein level in the 1 kg red bag Chef's Flour. 

I just checked my bag of flour and it says the serving size is 30 grams and the protein content is 3 grams.  With the roundoff in the specs to the nearest gram, it means the "actual" protein content is between 2.50 and 3.49 grams.  That is a range of 8.33% to 11.63%.  If it was exactly 3 grams, it would be 10%.

How to I reconcile that with the amount described above and displayed in the website of 13.5%?????

Now, my bag has an expiration of 2/14 (oops).  Is there a "version" issue?

Can anyone with a 2.2 pound / 1 kg bag check their bag?

Thoughts?

- Mitch

Offline misterschu

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
Mitch I'll check my bags when I get home. I've also got a 1kg bag of Colavita 00, that I'll look at the package.

Having not seen the website mentioned in the original post, I just clicked through, and found a troubling recent blog post: http://caputoflour.com/neapolitan-dough-using-caputo/ 

Oil and baking soda!

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
Mitch I'll check my bags when I get home. I've also got a 1kg bag of Colavita 00, that I'll look at the package.

Having not seen the website mentioned in the original post, I just clicked through, and found a troubling recent blog post: http://caputoflour.com/neapolitan-dough-using-caputo/ 

Oil and baking soda!

Yep, look at replies #1 and #2 above.

pizzapan