Author Topic: Free Sourdough Culture  (Read 824 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Free Sourdough Culture
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
This offer is open to anyone on the forum who has experience with sourdough (wild yeast) culture...Sorry, newbies.
I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about what I captured and developed three years ago.

I the late summer of 2010, I was hiking in the woods along the banks of the Cape Fear river in NC.  Somewhere between Fayetteville and Elizabethtown NC, I came across a patch of wild Muscadine (Actually, white Scuppernong) grapes.  Beautiful and quite surprising, as birds and squirrels generally pick these clean by that time of year.  I grabbed the best looking bunch (probably 12-14 grapes) and made a beeline back to the car, as I knew what I wanted to do with them (Silverton method).

They sat on newspaper in the car and I took the bunch inside when I got home.  I keep cheesecloth in the kitchen, and I wrapped up all of the grapes that were whole (not damaged or overripe) in a double layer of cheesecloth.  I placed them in a plastic 2 qt pitcher and used a long wooden spoon to crush them up until I could see a good amount of juice in the bottom of the pitcher.  I added 200G of water and 200G of KAAP.  I stirred until it all came together and left it on the countertop, checking a couple times a day. After 3 days, I noticed some bubbles.  I let it go for one more day and pulled out the cheesecloth bag.  I added another 100g of water and 100g of flour.  The next day I took 100G out and discarded the rest.  I added 200g water and 200g flour.  I continued washing this culture every day for a month in an attempt to "purify" or isolate the active bacteria/yeast combo.

I then refrigerated it for a month.  It settled down and began to form a golden hooch on top.  The smell? Heaven.  Like Muscadine wine.  The taste?  Like sweet Muscadine wine.

I revived it and washed it a couple times, switching Caputo 00 flour and started using it to bake

I've let it sleep for months, always reviving it easily, over a couple of days, to be used at my convenience.

Been using it since for pizza and bread.  It has a great flavor and can range in sourness, depending on the temperature it's proofed.

I called it Moby, as it was what I'd been searching for (My white whale)...an active, reliable culture that performs as well as any commercial yeast I've used.

Now, I've renamed it Cape Fear Sourdough, and I have five 25g dried samples to offer to anyone out there who has experience with sourdough cultures...Again, sorry, newbies.

Please message me with your address and a hyperlink showing your experience with sourdough culture.

I'll gladly mail out 25g of dried culture with simple instructions to revive it (But, you'll already know how to do this, right?).

Pizza made with this culture;

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg129003.html#msg129003
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg156212.html#msg156212
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg279309.html#msg279309
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:05:14 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Free Sourdough Culture
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
Three gone...Two left.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:15:05 PM by Mmmph »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
All gone...End of offer.

Offline tdrood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
Mmmph,
If I fly down to ILM, would you be willing to share a bit of Moby with me?

pizzapan