Author Topic: Florio's Pizza -San Antonio, Tx  (Read 2630 times)

Offline sisca

• I Love Pizza!
Florio's Pizza -San Antonio, Tx
« on: March 06, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »
Florio's is run by a family from Paramus, NJ who relocated to Tx several years ago. I heard of this place when i was watching the local news, the knick were playing the spurs in the nba finals, and they did a live feed from florios. the next day, i tried it out, and maddon' was that pizza good. brought me back to my childhood growing up in the NY/NJ area. thin crust, stringy cheese, greasy, and a perfect sauce. they also serve calzones and various cold subs, and a meatball sub to die for. i owe my gut to this place!!!! if youre ever in san antonio, stop at the corner of bradway and nottingham drive. Florio's will welcome you in and is always full of great food and thick accented NY/NJ transplants. love this place!

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Florio's Pizza -San Antonio, Tx
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 10:37:04 AM »
I thought I would post the following images, for no other reason than they relate to the above post..............

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »
GSF,

From the last photo it looks like the pizza is baked on a screen. Do you know if they are using a conveyor oven, or whether they are using a combination of screen/deck oven and "decking" the pizza at the end of baking?

Peter

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm not really sure, the day I ordered this pizza I had to take care of some other business in the area so I ordered and only returned long enough to pick it up. The ovens looked to be standard pizza ovens, not the conveyor type. when I go again I will wait for the pizza and do a little observation of their procedures.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 03:33:59 PM »
GSF,

From the last photo it looks like the pizza is baked on a screen. Do you know if they are using a conveyor oven, or whether they are using a combination of screen/deck oven and "decking" the pizza at the end of baking?

Peter

Saccones in Austin uses the deck style oven, but they're on a mutiple layered "Lazy Suzan" inside it. You can see them turning inside the oven. They cook their pizza on a screen. I've come to not like that method much because I really dig a crisp crust. The screen doesn't give you that... well, at least the way Saccone's uses it doesn't.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew