Author Topic: Free Sourdough Culture II  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Free Sourdough Culture II
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
This offer is open to anyone on the forum who has experience with sourdough (wild yeast) culture...Sorry, newbies.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about what I captured and developed three years ago.

I the late summer of 2010, I was hiking in the woods along the banks of the Cape Fear river in NC.  Somewhere between Fayetteville and Elizabethtown NC, I came across a patch of wild Muscadine (Actually, white Scuppernong) grapes.  Beautiful and quite surprising, as birds and squirrels generally pick these clean by that time of year.  I grabbed the best looking bunch (probably 12-14 grapes) and made a beeline back to the car, as I knew what I wanted to do with them (Silverton method).

They sat on newspaper in the car and I took the bunch inside when I got home.  I keep cheesecloth in the kitchen, and I wrapped up all of the grapes that were whole (not damaged or overripe) in a double layer of cheesecloth.  I placed them in a plastic 2 qt pitcher and used a long wooden spoon to crush them up until I could see a good amount of juice in the bottom of the pitcher.  I added 200G of water and 200G of KAAP.  I stirred until it all came together and left it on the countertop, checking a couple times a day. After 3 days, I noticed some bubbles.  I let it go for one more day and pulled out the cheesecloth bag.  I added another 100g of water and 100g of flour.  The next day I took 100G out and discarded the rest.  I added 200g water and 200g flour.  I continued washing this culture every day for a month in an attempt to "purify" or isolate the active bacteria/yeast combo.

I then refrigerated it for a month.  It settled down and began to form a golden hooch on top.  The smell? Heaven.  Like Muscadine wine.  The taste?  Like sweet Muscadine wine.

I revived it and washed it a couple times, switching Caputo 00 flour and started using it to bake

I've let it sleep for months, always reviving it easily, over a couple of days, to be used at my convenience.

Been using it since for pizza and bread.  It has a great flavor and can range in sourness, depending on the temperature it's proofed.

I called it Moby, as it was what I'd been searching for (My white whale)...an active, reliable culture that performs as well as any commercial yeast I've used.

Now, I've renamed it Cape Fear Sourdough, and I have eight 12g dried samples to offer to any of you out there who has experience with sourdough cultures...Again, sorry, newbies. Last offer, I gave out 25g, but I found that 10-12g is all one needs.

Simply message me with your address and a hyperlink showing your experience with sourdough culture.
I'll gladly mail out 12g of dried culture with simple instructions to revive it (But, you'll already know how to do this, right?).

My pizza made with this culture;

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg129003.html#msg129003
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg156212.html#msg156212
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg279309.html#msg279309

Pizza and bread made, by others, using this culture;
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28147.0.html
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Free Sourdough Culture II
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
I haven't made much pizza or bread lately but im always on the look out for a new culture.  Ill be happy to give this one a try.

Chau

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Last offer, I gave out 25g, but I found that 10-12g is all one needs.

Yep, divided mine and have both a Gluten and Non-Gluten version of Cape Fear doing their thing as I type this. Hope to use one of them next weekend. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
Three gone, five left.

This is getting good.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
Seven gone.

One left.

Wow.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:07:31 AM by Mmmph »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »

All gone...End of offer.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
Mmmph,

Thanks so much for sending me the Cape Fear (aka “Moby”) starter.  ;D I finally started to activate it yesterday morning.  Cape Fear is bubbling along fine and does smell great, but I want to ask you a question if you ever had something happen with Cape Fear like I did.  It seems like gluten has formed in the Cape Fear starter. :o  Did you ever experience something like that?  The Cape Fear starter is springy for me.  I never had that happen with any starter before and I did not stir a lot.  I used the Ceresota flour to activate Cape Fear and feed it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
Right after I received mine, things changed here, and all my free time vaporized. I'm looking forward to the day I can activate mine. It sits here on the top of the stack on my desk - not letting me forget about it. With any luck, baking will resume in the next month or so.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Right after I received mine, things changed here, and all my free time vaporized. I'm looking forward to the day I can activate mine. It sits here on the top of the stack on my desk - not letting me forget about it. With any luck, baking will resume in the next month or so.

Craig,

It also took me a long while to activate my Cape Fear starter.  Did you ever see a starter develop gluten?  I look forward to the day you can activate your Cape Fear starter!  ;D

Norma

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
Craig,

It also took me a long while to activate my Cape Fear starter.  Did you ever see a starter develop gluten?  I look forward to the day you can activate your Cape Fear starter!  ;D

Norma

I haven't activated a starter in 5 years, so I really can't remember what it looked like. My bet is that as it gets a little older and established and starts producing more acid and enzymes the look will change to what you expect.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »
I haven't activated a starter in 5 years, so I really can't remember what it looked like. My bet is that as it gets a little older and established and starts producing more acid and enzymes the look will change to what you expect.

Craig,

I did just activate an Ishcia starter that a forum member sent me and it looked nothing like that when activating and using the same flour.  I will wait and see if as it gets a little older and established if it will start producing more acid and enzymes.  I followed Mmmph's directions so I guess I activated it right.  I am anxious to try the Cape Fear starter out, but I guess I will wait.  It became really active in a short while.

Norma

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
If you make a fairly wet culture from regular baker's yeast, it will have that look won't it?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:04 PM »
If you make a fairly wet culture from regular baker's yeast, it will have that look won't it?

Craig,

I don't think I have ever tried to make a fairly wet culture from regular baker's yeast, so I really don't know.  I did try a cake yeast culture (starter) at one time, but don't think it ever looked like Cape Fear. 

Norma

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Mmmmph...  let me know if you offer the yeast again

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »
These are two more photos of the Cape Fear starter taken this morning.  Cape Fear was fed last evening after I took the other photos.  As can be seen Cape Fear is very active this morning and does smell like a fine wine.  This morning there are some little bubbles where it looks foamy to me in addition to the regular bubbles.  Cape Fear still is kind of jiggly if I shake the container.

Norma

Offline texmex

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Norma, I also notice this difference with cape fear sd as opposed to my own chuck sd.  It acts like something very developed without any over manipulation on my part-- and will create bubbles overnite in the fridge, while chuck has to have warm temps to get bubbling. I love the odour of cape fear. It just seems far superior to poor old chuck.   I have to admit these are the only 2 sd cultures I have used, but now I want to try ischia and see what all the hype is about.
Reesa

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

It also took me a long while to activate my Cape Fear starter.  Did you ever see a starter develop gluten?

Norma,

Do you mean you waited a long time to activate it? Or the starter took a long time to activate?
It, generally, is a lively beast that multiplies pretty fast.

To me, Cape Fear acts like any poolish (CY, ISY, ADY) I've made. That's why I like it.
It acts the closest to commercial yeast. Very predictable.

I look forward to your results.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:12:23 PM by Mmmph »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
Norma, I also notice this difference with cape fear sd as opposed to my own chuck sd.  It acts like something very developed without any over manipulation on my part-- and will create bubbles overnite in the fridge, while chuck has to have warm temps to get bubbling. I love the odour of cape fear. It just seems far superior to poor old chuck.   I have to admit these are the only 2 sd cultures I have used, but now I want to try ischia and see what all the hype is about.

Reesa,

Thanks for telling me what you noticed with the Cape Fear starter.  I think that is something like my results in it acting developed without over manipulation on your part.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Norma,

Do you mean you waited a long time to activate it? Or the starter took a long time to activate?
It, generally, is a lively beast that multiplies pretty fast.

To me, Cape Fear acts like any poolish (CY, ISY, ADY) I've made. That's why I like it.
It acts the closest to commercial yeast. Very predictable.

I look forward to your results.

Enjoy!

Mmmph,

What I mean is that as soon as I put water and flour with Cape Fear, and stirr a little it seems like there is gluten being formed instead of it just acting like a regular starter.  I see Cape Fear is a lively beast.  ;D  After I took those last two photos of Cape Fear it felt like a normal starter when stirred.  I then fed Cape Fear again and it acted the same way as it did for me the last few times.  Right now Cape Fear looks like a normal starter.  I hope I am not confusing you.

I am anxious to try Cape Fear in a pizza dough.

Thanks again!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
Well, Mr. Cape Fear seemed to be very consistent in his rising abilities in the last couple of days.  He still is getting agitated when I first feed him and develops some gluten, but settles down after awhile.  Mr. Cape Fear is intoxicating in his smell and I almost could taste or drink him but I didn't do that.  Since Mr. Cape Fear is so active I decided to use him tonight.  This is the formulation I used and what flours I used.  Mr. Cape Fear is going to be room temperature fermented until tomorrow sometime.  I will keep the dough ball made with Mr. Cape Fear near me tonight.

I probably will start another thread of what I use Mr. Cape Fear in.  I had wanted to try Mr. Cape Fear in a Neapolitan dough first and use the BS to bake that dough, but right now it is too cold outside.

Norma

pizzapan