Author Topic: Pizza stuck to new Pizza Screens!  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Jimmy K

Pizza stuck to new Pizza Screens!
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:04:36 PM »
I purchased 2 new 17" pizza screens in hopes of getting a bit crisper crust.  Well, all the work that went into making the dough, sauce etc. was somewhat ruined as the pizzas stuck to the screens.  They didn't stick completely, but in enough places to make it difficult to remove.  The places the crust stuck didn't seem related to how thin it was.

Am I missing something?  Does the screen need to be floured?  Maybe the crust didn't have enough flour?  I usually floured the pans that I used previously.

Any help appreciate so I don't ruin next weeks pizza night too!

Thanks,

Jimmy K

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza stuck to new Pizza Screens!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:11:17 PM »
hey, Jimmy,
i too have had that sad problem and found if i doused the dough ball in flour, top,bottom and sides, then stretch it it will not stick to the screen.
the problem is the wetness of the dough. smother it in flour and shake off or brush off the excess and place it on the screen and you should have no problem.
hope this helps,
Christopher

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:28:14 PM »
Pam!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »
Jimmy K. 
Recently I attended the New York Pizza show.  I went to the Tom Lehmann seminar and he really spent what I considered to be too much time talking about pizza disks and the proper seasoning of pizza screens.  I never really knew this before his lecture, but the pizza screen is meant to be seasoned like a cast iron pan or the like.  Coat the screen with oil, any cheap oil is fine.  The key is to totally coat it.  Then take your screen and bake it in a hot oven, but not as high as the flashpoint of the oil.  Petezza????? I know you are out there somewhere with your seemingly endless supply of useful knowledge.  The flashpoint for vegetable oil??????

Anyhow, bake the screens for a while and the seasoning will coat your screen.   Be careful not to wash it all off and yo will be a happy camper.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 05:41:56 AM »
What scott says is the recommended approach. Just lightly coat the screens with vegetable oil and put them in the oven at 425 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes. Any higher than 425 degrees might reach the flash point of the oil. Once the screens have been seasoned, they should not be allowed to soak in water or else the seasoning can come off and have to be re-seasoned again. If the screens have to be washed, the recommended approach is to dip the screens in hot soapy water, scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush, rinse, sanitize, and run them through the oven to dry. Over time, the screens can get carbon buildup. A small amount is actually desirable and becomes part of the seasoning of the screen. But if the carbon buildup becomes excessive, what some operators do is to run the screens through their ovens at high temperatures and rap them against a hard surface, which shakes the carbon loose. At some point it just becomes easier to replace the screens since they are fairly cheap to begin with.

A dough on the wet side can still stick to a seasoned screen. So, it is wise to have all the ingredients prepared and ready when it comes time to dress the pizza, and work fast.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:58:14 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jimmy K

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:35:25 PM »
Thanks for all the help!

I'll season the screens and flour the dough.

Jimmy K

Offline Jimmy K

Thanks for help, it worked!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 03:57:29 PM »
I seasoned the screens in the oven ahead of time and also made sure dough had plenty of flour while stretching and the pizzas didn't stick at all.  Thanks for the tips and help!

The crust was also the best I've ever made.  I have a DLX and use a recipe from the book Best Bread Ever by Charles Van Over.  The mixing directions for the DLX I found here on this site.  It's a flour, water, salt and yeast only dough.  I've found a little trick that helps me add a bit more flour to the dough in the DLX before it clings to the kneading roller.  The recipe is a 60% hydration but I can add a bit more flour than this to drop it a little more. 

My oven will heat to 575 and the crust baked so nicely on the screens.  Crust had nice holes in edge and was just chewy enough.  No soggy bottom which was often problem in pans.  Very happy I've found this site.

Jimmy

Offline JerryG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:35:15 PM »
Like has been said, coat with vegetable oil then bake in the oven. I have seasoned a couple of hundred screens, some with oil and a brush and some with spray. You get less smoke with the spray method but either way will work. Depending on how much oil actually stays on the screen you may need to coat and bake more than once. Don't wash seasoned screens or get them wet, they don't hold the season as well as cast iron skillets. Store it in a clean dry place. If you do get a pizza stuck because of run off or something, turn the oven up as far as it will go and bake it off. You will need to season it again in most cases but it won't take as much as a new screen.
Dreaming of pizza.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 07:26:50 AM »
I've used Pam spray olive oil on the screen before I laid the dough on it. I also docked it before I laid it on the screen. You don't want to push your dough into the screen.
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline John39840

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »
I don't coat my screens and have never had a problem with sticking. I think the secret is keeping a relatively wet dough, 59% hydration and above, while keeping the outside of the dough totally dry.

For instance, after I mix and form the dough, I will often place it in a bucket of flour, wipe off the excess, and then allow the dough balls to rise in the refrigerator overnight. When I'm ready to form the dough for pizza, I will use a liberal amount of flour to dust them throughout the entire process. Meanwhile, the dough's insides are wet enough to soak up any excess flour inside of the oven.

After the pizza's cooked, the crust has just enough flour dust to make the pizza appealing, without being overwhelming -- with clumps of flour. Again, you haven't eaten a real NYC pizza without having just a tiny bit of flour residue on your fingers. :)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 09:52:06 PM »
I put a light coating of vegetable oil on my screens and baked them at 425 for 20 minutes.  I took them out and let them cool.  They now have this coating of impenetrable gunk on them.  I tried washing them with soapy water, but it wouldn't come off.  I went through two Brillo pads, but this stuff is impervious to anything.  This was a huge mistake.  I've tossed them into the trash.
--pat--

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
Pat,

Tom Lehmann recommends a product called Carbon Off, as shown at http://www.carbonoff.com/Pages/CarbonOff.htm. Once the screens are clean, they have to be reseasoned again.

Some pizza operators put the screens in their ovens at the highest temperature and after they cool down they drop the screens on the floor to try to get the carbon off.

Peter

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »
The flashpoint for vegetable oil??????

Depending on the vegetable, the flash point can range between 162-346C = 323-655F. (National Fire Protection Association, Fire protection guide on hazardous materials. 1986. 9th ed. Quincy, MA: National Fire Protection Association.)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 06:12:09 AM »
Some pizza operators put the screens in their ovens at the highest temperature and after they cool down they drop the screens on the floor to try to get the carbon off.
I'll try leaving them in the oven during a self-clean cycle and see if that removes it.
--pat--