Author Topic: Naples 45 Review  (Read 1700 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Naples 45 Review
« on: March 21, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »
Pizza Rating: Good and relatively inexpensive. Best tasting sauce we've had in NYC on a Caputo crust. No oven spring at all but what can you expect from ovens which were designed to bake bread (Earthstones I think).
Appetizer rating: Good to excellent. We had Calamari and Prosciutto which were both delicious. $8.95 each
Desert Rating: Excellent. We had Cannoli's which were truly outstanding. $5.95 each
Overall Rating: Second best pizza restaurant we ate at. Excellent service.
Lesson learned: Get to know the head pizzaiolo if you want the best pie they can produce and maybe a freebie appetizer or two.

We decided to hit Naples 45 on our first day in the city and as luck would have it, Charlie the head pizzaiolo was working. He instantly remembered me from a visit nearly 6 months prior and began to make our dining experience memorable right from the very beginning. He sent over an appetizer on the house and personally baked an oversized Margherita pie (shaped like a Roman pizza). The price was $29.95 for the giant pie which comfortably fed four. Charlie cooked it expertly well and the crust was flavorful as is expected for a Caputo based pie. I was completely satisfied with Naples 45 and Charlie made the dining experience special. Pictures are below.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:29:06 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Naples 45 Review
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »
Wow, you pie looks a LOT better than the leathery pie I had there last year. Keep making friends :-)

Jeff

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »
Woodstone units are at Naples 45.
-JP-

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »
As promised in the Luzzo's thread, attached are the final images from my trip over the Thanksgiving holiday. A quick recap is in order:

The 1/2 meter Margherita was above average and certainly better than what UPN managed to plate. The white pizza was significantly better than UPN's. Both were universally rated higher by everyone in my family. I would say that is quite an accomplishment considering how high others have placed UPN.

Charlie is such a nice gentleman. He allowed my daughter to "work" the oven. She was fearless and Charlie's employee of nearly ten years was playing along.

What fun!
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com