Author Topic: New Grill / First Pizza  (Read 8709 times)

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
New Grill / First Pizza
« on: April 07, 2006, 02:02:32 PM »
I just purchased a new gas grill, It's already getting too hot here in south Texas to heat the oven. so I thought I would post a few pictures of my first pizza.

The stone temp was  750 F and the pizza took 2 1/2 minutes to cook.

This was my first time cooking at such a high temp..............I think it turned out great, the crust was incredible!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: New Grill / First Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »
Very innovative grill set up.  Looks like you are giving those expensive wood burning pizza ovens a run for their money.

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:10:10 PM »
Very clever - what kind of grill is that?

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:10:08 PM »
It's a Char-Broil Commercial series, Purchased at Lowe's.

By no means a top of the line grill, but it has a dual wall lid that really helps hold the heat.

Here's a link for it......................

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=140963-82210-463268606&lpage=none

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
That seems like quite the bargain.  Getting those kind of temps, porcelain cast iron grates, and stainless for $299 is tempting.  Thanks for posting it, although my wife may not thank you.

BTW - what size pizza stone is that and about how long did you preheat your stone?

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 03:09:31 PM »
it's a 16 inch stone and was preheated for 1 hour

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »
I went ahead and tiled the inside of the grill, creating a hearth kit type chamber. After a 1 hour preheat the stone temp was 802 F and the Pizzas took 2 minutes 15 seconds to cook.

I would love to have a wood fired brick oven but the grill approach produces very acceptable results.

Comments or suggestions are always appreciated........................ :chef:

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
GSF,
Very impressive effort. I also grill my pizza but have spent about $2K more to achieve roughly the same result. Keep it going.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:45:33 PM »
Great setup.  I have a $600+ Ceramic smoker that I am struggling with to get under a 5 minute pizza.

How big are those upper tiles in the first photo?

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on any new innovations.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:56:21 PM »
The upper tiles in the first photos are 12X12 purchased at Lowe's

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:37:54 PM »
hey, guys,
GSF, just wanted to let you know that your grilled photos inspired me once again to test out my grill and see what i could muster up. i created a stone setup similar to your first group of photos and found that in our cooloer climate (ohio) i could only get up to around 550F, but the pizzas turned out moist and colored well. the cheese melted but did not burn. they probably cooked for about 8 minutes or less though. better than in the home oven where they dry out a bit. in the summer i can easily max out the temp gauge at 800F.
now a question for all is can the stones or tiles be directly on the grill with the flame touching them or should they be raised off of the heat. since we had discussions of silica can the tiles be touch by open flame is what i guess i am referring to.
thanks a bunch,
christopher

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:41 PM »
That's Great, I actually would have been happy with 550F, that's basically what I get out of my home oven. This whole grill thing came out of wanting a way to cook pizzas during the summer without heating up the entire house. I was very surprised that I was able to get such high temps from my setup.  ;D

As for your tile question.......let me say...... I am no expert...... but, my understanding is it's the inhalation of the silica dust that poses the health risk. So unless you are cutting your tiles and breathing the dust, the silica aspect of the tiles should not be a issue.

As far as having the tiles in direct contact with the flame, I'm not sure, certainly at some point the tiles were fired in a kiln and at much higher temps then we will ever achieve, so I don't think the heat is an issue, perhaps the uneven heating of the tiles on a grill might cause them to crack. My grill has porcelain coated steal heat deflectors over the burners, so the flame is not exposed directly to the tiles.

You will note that I custom cut my tiles and used to different kinds, the thicker 12x12 tiles are much softer and easier to cut than the thinner 8x8 darker red tiles. I did use a good respirator during the process.

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 06:27:58 PM »
thanks, GSF,
I made two more pizzas tonight on the grill and this is the way i'm going to make my pizzas throughout the spring/summer months. it is much more convenient and i will never be able to afford a wood burning oven. unfortunately winter will be back and i dont know if the grill will get high temps.
let me just say that the crust was the texture or close to what i have been trying to achieve in the home oven. it was fluffy and foldable, yet slightlty crispy on the outside. the char tasted flavorful without the burnt flavor from the oven. they baked in about 6 minutes this time (warmer today) and i cant complain.
the temp gauge read 550 again, but there is no telling what the stone temps were.
i hope to post some photos of my next try hopefully tomorrow night.
thanks,
Christopher

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »
Please do, I would love to see your results...........

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 08:09:46 PM »
hey, guys,
sorry i did not post sooner, but i finally took some photos. they are really poor quality photos, but give an idea of what i have been up to.
i made more pizzas on the grill and these were very good. one was Onion, Sauteed Pancetta, Provolone and Mozzarella. the other was Onion, Sauteed Pancetta, Fontina and Mozzarella. hope you can get a decent idea from the pics. i need a better digital camera.
Christopher

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »
I'd appreciate hearing if anyone learns of a reason for not putting the stone directly on the grill.

We started grilling pizza this way over mesquite charcoal late last summer and we're itching to get a pizza back on the grill.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 05:01:20 PM »
By the way... everyone's pizza look great!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »
GSF,

Please keep the pics coming - I'm following your lead.  I even got the same exact grill that you have from Lowe's.  It looks like your upper cooling rack extends further across the main grill than mine.  I would say that my top grill only extends over the back 1/3 of the grill.  Did you modify yours or did char-broil possibly modify their design a little?

Thanks again - your pizzas look great and you did it on a budget. 
Bob

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 11:29:36 PM »
Mahoney,
In my first group pf pictures I was using the upper rack that came with the grill, I then replaced it rack with a larger one that extends further out so I could get the tiles over the stone as far as possible.

Tomorrow, I will shoot some more detailed pictures of my setup and show exactly what I did.

Christopher, Your pizzas look great too, Glad to see you are also having success.
I Would love to see some pictures of your setup.

Picture is of yesterday pizza cooking..............

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 10:12:34 AM »
hey, guys,
it's cool to see people getting interested in this area of pizzamaking. i am just glad i have found a way to get more spring in my dough and keep it moist. it will take some time and probably a better grill (my father bought us ours for probably $100) to get great and consistent results.
i had thought an expensive grill would have been needed to get good results and i dont doubt a much better grill will in turn produce a much better pizza, but with my little cheapy, i am getting much better results than in my home oven.

question for PFTaylor, you are the pioneer of grilled pizza here :), did you notice any difference in pizzas grilled in the various seasons? i.e. more spring in the summer. i know you grill in the winter as well, is it outdoors, porch, etc.? i only wonder, sounds stupid of course, i am assuming the hotter the weather the hotter the grill and maybe better pizzas in the summer, or burned pizzas? did you have any complications that we might avoid?

GSF, thank you for the kind words, i could not get great coloring on top and i will have to adjust my tiles up higher to get them closer to the "ceiling". my grill is very small and i am baking 8" pizzas, for now to test out. soon i will try to talk the wife into letting us get a better grill, but we just bought a Kitchenaid Pro last weekend, so i have to be a good boy and wait patiently :angel:.

i am making dough today for tomorrow and will try to get some better photos for you to check out.
keep 'em coming!
Christopher

pizzapan