Author Topic: How to adjust Buzz's Giordano's dough recipe for very high altitude?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline csorrows

• I Love Pizza!
I live at high altitude in Colorado (9,000 feet), and am getting ready to try Buzz's Giordano's dough recipe, and was looking for recommendations on how to adjust it for this high altitude?

I'm going to use the dough for a thin crust pie, not deep dish (I'm more of a thin crust person), if that makes any difference in preparation or baking times.

I'm definitely not handy in the kitchen - this will be a new experiment for me, so looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Offline buzz

I don't personally have any experience, but I did see a book in the library on this subject, called "Pie in the Sky"--

http://highaltitudebaking.com/index.htm

Here is some more information I found--

High-Altitude Baking: Altitude does not begin to affect baking until above 2,500 feet. Higher than that, the altitude will dry out ingredients, make doughs and batters rise faster, and make liquids boil faster. Generally speaking, pans should be greased more heavily, oven temperatures increased slightly, leaveners and sugar reduced and liquid increased. The actual adjustments needed will depend on the altitude.

http://www.cerc.colostate.edu/titles/P41.html

HIGH-ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS
THE GAZETTE

Colorado’s altitude requires some adjustments on lowland recipes, particularly when baking. Clip this list and post it in a handy place in the kitchen for future reference.

** For each cup of flour, increase by 1 tablespoon. Add an additional egg to rich cakes to prevent them from falling.

** For each teaspoon of baking powder or baking soda, decrease by 1/8-1/4 teaspoon.

** For each cup of fat, decrease by 1-2 tablespoons.

** For each cup of sugar, decrease by 1-2 tablespoons.

** For each cup of liquid, increase by 2-4 tablespoons.

** Try increasing baking temperature 15-25 degrees to “set” the batter before cells formed by leavening gas expand too much.

Offline Tim_Wurtz

• Mountain Mama's Pizza
Post the recipe and I will put mt 2 cents worth in, plus what equipment your are using with bakes temps and times then I should be able to take a stab at it for you. I have a shop at almost 6,000 feet so our results should be very close. I have done all the testing for you, lol. about 60 days worth to get it perfected.

Tim Wurtz
Mountain Mama's Pizza "Great pizza everytime"
Donnelly, Idaho

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
csorrows,

There is quite a bit of information on high altitude pizza making on the forum, and if you do a forum search, especially an "Advanced search" on the forum using the terms "altitude" and "elevation", you will find a lot of useful information. The latest thread on the subject is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3066.0.html. As you will see from that thread, factors other than elevation frequently come into play in trying to achieve high quality results.

Generally speaking, the advice usually given for baking pizzas at high elevations is to reduce the amount of yeast by about 10%, increase the amount of flour in relation to the water by a small amount, and to increase the bake temperature by about 25 degrees. Before doing these sorts of things, you could try making a dough batch without the yeast/flour modifications and see if you really need to change anything. In your case, if you are using volume measurements, you may find that it will be difficult to fine tune the ingredient quantities in any event. 

Peter

pizzapan