Author Topic: Help my pizza  (Read 1427 times)

Offline RomansRoad

• I Love Pizza!
Help my pizza
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »
I want to make pizza friday night and I plan on using Alton Brown's recipe from his Book, "I'm just here for more food."  Note that this is different than the one on his show.  The thing that I am wondering is if I should incorperate some of the things I learned here.  For example, should I ignore where he says to had most of the flour and all other ingredients together, and then the rest of the flour a table spoon at a time. I've been reading about autolyse, and this seems to go against this.
Here is the recipe:

Water - 283 g = 1 1/4th Cup (is this enough hydration)
Chewable Children's asprin - 25 mg (is this really neccesary?)
Salt - 11 g = 1 TBL (is this to much, like his online recipe?)
Sugar - 5 tsp. 1 tsp. (if I use less salt, should I use less sugar?)
All-Purpose Flour - 454 g - 8 Cups
Instant Yeast - 7 g - 1 envelope

The directions say to disolve the children's asprin in the warm water, then add to the work bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.  Add the remaining ingredients (reserving some of the flour) and mix for 2 min. on low, or untill the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl, adding flour as needed.
Rest 15 min.  Knead 35-40% for 5 min.
Remove from mixer and knead for 30 sec. by hand, then work into a ball.  Place ball in a bowl with a little olive oil.  Cover and rise for one hour.
Fold down the dough, patting into a disk and place back in bowl overnight in the fridge.
Next day cut into 2- 4 blobs and let proof covered, for one hour.  Heat and cook at 500 with desired toppings.

Has anyone done this, or done this and the recipe online?  Can anyone recommend the neccesary changes to get a great pizza.  Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:19:32 PM by RomansRoad »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Help my pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:27:12 PM »
RomansRoad,

It's entirely up to you whether you want to try out the recipe you posted. However, that recipe was discussed previously and it includes an error in the amount of flour. The thread at which the recipe was discussed and analyzed is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2541.msg21969.html#msg21969.

If, after reading the thread you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Peter

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »
I don't know about the asprin thing. I've seen it before, but no real pizza places do that.  Autolyse is a proven technique. It's one of the most important things to do. The fact is that once you've added so much flour that the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl, mixing is over. It will just spin around on the hook, but real mixing is done. That's why most people have learned to mix in the flour very gradually.

8 cups of flour will probably weigh more than 454g.

If you click the globe under my username, you will see a web page that has more sophisticated instructions than Alton gives. Alton is good for many things, but pizza is a real specialty and his recipe is just so, so.

Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:25 PM »
Since there was a dead link in the thread I referenced above, I did a Google search and found a list of corrections for the Brown dough recipe at http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/ABFP/ijhfmf.htm. Look at page 238 at the bottom of the page.

Peter

Offline RomansRoad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »
Well, I am very glad that I posted that and found out about the error.  And as far as your link goes varasano, it seems above me.  I actually read about half of your page this morning and it inspired me to post this.   I thought I would start out with something easier and something that could cook in my oven.

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
The aspirin is a misprint--it was suposed to be a children's chewable vitamin C tablet. The ascorbic acid helps to oxidize the dough. You can buy C powder, too.

Although I'm an Alton fan, I do think he's guilty of overkill many times. Pizza dough is very simple--don't stress about it!