Author Topic: Increase Dough Formula - Increase Yeast Amount By?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Increase Dough Formula - Increase Yeast Amount By?
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:09:38 AM »
Hello All;
I usually make pizza dough using a formula (with Baker's Percentages) that provides me with enough dough for 3 large pizzas.  When making a less amount, I simply use baker's percentages and the dough turns out fine; but I am concerned that by increasing the dough formula for a much larger amount of dough that the yeast amount to be increased (again based on baker's percentages) would be way too much.  Is there a "rule of thumb" or any other pertinent information that might apply?  All information appreciated....
Buffalo

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Increase Dough Formula - Increase Yeast Amount By?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:55:12 AM »
I have always assumed that all ratios, including yeast, in baking are linear. That is, if one yeast organism consumes x amount of food and releases y amount of waste, then 2 organisms would consume 2x and release 2y. But, if for, example, this metabolism was exothermic and released heat which would raise the temperature of the dough resulting in faster metabolism resulting in higher temperature and so on, then the ratio of the amount of yeast would not be linear.

I have never observed anything that would argue for a non-linear relationship for any of the ingredients in the dough and I double and triple quantities regularly. I would be very interested to find out if there are any non-linear effects.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »
Peter addressed a similar issue here I think.Does this help?http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2370.msg20675.html#msg20675
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:12:29 AM »
Buffalo,

As David has correctly pointed out, the question you have posed was addressed before at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,909.msg8207.html#msg8207, and again more recently at Reply 28 at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1551.msg26871.html#msg26871. And, even after doing extensive online research on the matter, the best I have been able to do to date in the way of an answer is what I wrote in Reply 3 in the first thread referenced above. Maybe there is a better answer out there and I simply haven’t been able to find it because I haven’t used the right keywords in my searches. It’s not exactly the easiest principle to put in words for search purposes.

Like you, I use baker’s percents for many dough formulations, and I always use them linearly, that is, where the ingredients scale up or down in proportion in the manner as Bill/SFNM has described. Over time, I have looked at many dough formulations based on baker’s percents and, apart from the Pendleton example I gave in Reply 3, I have never seen a non-linearity in the yeast quantity when scaling to different size dough batches. If you are using a spreadsheet to work with baker’s percents, you could build the yeast non-linearity into it if, through experience, or for any other reason, you found it to be appropriate. However, I don’t know where you would draw the line. In the Pendleton example, the amount of yeast was simply decreased by about 20% in going from a dough batch using 10 pounds of flour to one using 25 pounds of flour. However, I might add that the 10-pound example yields 16 pounds of dough. Within that dough batch size, there is no downward scaling of the amount of yeast.

Peter

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for the quick responses........I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge on this forum, it saves "years" of trial and error.  Thanks again to everyone.
Buffalo

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »
Buffalo:
  Good morning to you. I have read your posting with interest... WHY ??? because I have answered this question many many times before in other forums. The answer Peter gave to you is correct. When employing up to 10 pounds of flour you apply the proper ratio & proportion technique to the formula. Over that amount of flour you decrease the yeast amount .... How much you ask ???? that my friend depends not only where live like Alaska or Las Vegas, or Phoenix in the summer time & hi- altitude terrain areas as well. That baker then must apply his or her experience in this matter as to how much to reduce. Now then I will know provide you the  "WHY" of it all... it is simply that in very large amounts of  yeasted lean bread dough the fermentation of the dough mass produces more heat in proportion thus speeding up the rate of rize of the concoction.... we then must slow this condition down a bit.

Buffalo, I must give you my most honest & sincere thoughts on this question that you posed  at to be practicle. You & Peter & I know that we bakers should not employ more yeast than neccesary to do the job. You further know that there is a large tolerance zone in the amounts of yeast that can be employed in a yeated lean bread dough . EX:  If a recipe calls for 1 packet of ADY  (1/4 OZ=2 1/4 tsp)
We can employ 1 tsp of that & it will do the job... Peter has written on this matter many times if you go over the posting showing pizza recipes it will show minimum amounts. the only thing that changes is the fermentation time & proofing times. SOOOOO !!! so my friend I honestly feel the question is a  "NON EVENT  & THE ANSWER IS... A NO MATTER"whether or not you do a bakers pertcentage equation. That is my honest answer..

Buffallo there is another aspect to your question which belongs in the baking/aspect of cakes/cookies ete. which involves "CHEMICAL LEAVENERS" that is another story which I do not wish to go into because this is a PIZZA FORUM.
  But if you need to know post back on another thread & I will answer it.

Good luck to you my friend & enjoy the rest of the day young man.

~DINKS :chef:

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:40 PM »
dinks;
Thanks much for the reply and input..........This forum never ceases to amaze me with the expertise of its members.  Again, a sincere "Thank You"......
Buffalo