Author Topic: Denninos on Staten Island  (Read 3813 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Denninos on Staten Island
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »
Has anyone been here? A friend who knows pizza says it's excellent. I've never been and nothing comes up when searching this site.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:13:27 PM by varasano »

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Denninos on Staten Island
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
I have also heard excellent reports on this place from a friend of mine in the area.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »
Jeff,

If you search the forum under "Denino" (without the quotes) you will find several posts by steveit.

Peter

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:15 AM »
I've been to Denino's a bunch of times because it was close to home and better than average. The pizza is not bad but I wouldn't travel too far out of the way to try it. Nunzio's and  Joe & Pat's are other Staten Island favorites which both sell slices. I went to Nunzio's once but they were closed for remodling and I've never gotten back there. Joe & Pat's is my favorite Staten Island pizza. Here's a pic of Denino's and a pizza from Joe & Pat's.

Steve
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 02:00:47 AM »
My friend that recommended Denino's said that it reminded him of Johnny's in Mt. Vernon. Interestingly that Joe & Pat's pie also looks similar to a Johnny's. Is Denino's the same style?

Offline helio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 11:38:03 AM »
I actually went to Denino's yesterday and was HUGELY disappointed. Had a half-sausage, half mushroom pie that was extremely unmemorable and very bland... definitely ok, but not worth the trip considering all the great places out there.

On the plus side, malt is added into the crust (or so I hear), which gave it an interesting crunch and long-lasting stiffness. Even after eating awhile, the tip remained unlimp.

(For reference: I really enjoy DiFara's squares, Sally's, etc.)

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 02:15:26 PM »
Is Denino's the same style?

Different style. Denino's is pretty much a standard pizza with grated cheese. It's thin and well made but I think they need to bump up the quality of the cheese. I find it to be better than average but I have very high standards - the local folk really brag about the place.

Joe and Pat's sauce is a bit different. It's ruby red, smooth and covers well and it's topped with sliced or small balls of better grade cheese which gives this pizza its distinct look. I call this my favorite Staten Island pizza, I just wish I had a chance to try Nunzio's to compare.

It seems the owner or one of the owners of Joe and Pat's spent some time working at Nunzio's.

New York Times (2002)
Locations: Where 'Gimme a Slice' Will Always Bring an Echo
By ED LEVINE

N the end, a great slice of pizza is defined by the quality of its ingredients and their ratio to one other. An exemplary slice should have discrete sections of cheese and sauce and a crust that is thin but not too thin. Most pizza these days has a barely visible layer of sauce it's as though the sauce has gone into exile.

Here are six places that make Neapolitan-style slices worth going out of your way for. (Square Sicilian-style slices deserve their own discussion.) The list is based on this reporter's one-month search of all five boroughs of New York City, with stops at dozens of pizzerias.

DIFARA PIZZA In this nondescript and not altogether tidy storefront in Brooklyn, Domenico DeMarco has been baking transcendent slices for 41 years. He learned the basics of pizza-making at the Queen pizzeria on Court Street in Brooklyn Heights, but the pie he turns out is very much his own invention. A blend of buffalo mozzarella, freshly grated grana padana and whole milk mozzarella, and a combination of fresh and canned San Marzano tomatoes yield a supremely flavorful and tangy slice that would be perfect if the crust were only a trifle more crisp. 1424 Avenue J (East 15th Street), Midwood, Brooklyn; (718) 258-1367.

JOE & PAT'S Giuseppe Pappalardo, an owner, mastered his craft at three legendary Staten Island slice establishments: Nunzio's, Ciro's and Tokie's. His slices are distinguished by a superthin crispy crust. "They're easier to digest," he said, "so you can eat a lot of them." 1758 Victory Boulevard (Manor Road), Four Corners, Staten Island; (718) 981-0887.

JOE'S PIZZA Giuseppi Vitale, who owns Joe's with his father-in-law, Pino Pozzuoli, mastered the art of dough-making at the G&G Bakery in Brooklyn. He is a slice purist: no heroes or pasta are served in his restaurants. Mr. Vitale says his motto is "pride, knowledge and ingredients." It's worth it to have both a regular slice and a fresh mozzarella slice here, just to taste the difference. They both have superbly crisp crust. 233 Bleecker Street (Carmine Street), Greenwich Village, (212) 366-1182, and 7 Carmine Street (Avenue of the Americas) in the Village, (212) 255-3946.

LOUIE & ERNIE'S City officials know a good slice of pizza when they see one: the street in front of Louie & Ernie's has been renamed Ernie Ottuso Square, after one of the owners. A Louie & Ernie's slice is a diminutive triangle of pizza pleasure in which grated cheese and full-cream mozzarella sparingly cover a thin-enough crust. Also worth the calories and the trip are the fried calzone and the white pie, both made with creamy ricotta cheese. A word to the wise, however: don't arrive too late. The pizzeria ends its day when all the dough is used up. "We run out, we run out that's it," said John Tiso, an owner. "We close." 1300 Crosby Avenue (Waterbury Avenue), Pelham Bay, Bronx; (718) 829-6230.

NUNZIO'S A slice from Nunzio's is a pristine exercise in elegant pizza minimalism. Everything about it is right: the ratio of sauce to cheese, the crisp yet pliant crust and the tangy sauce enlivened by fresh basil. Nunzio's even looks the way a pizzeria should: it is a white stucco shack with a tiny dining room brightened by black and white photos of the original Nunzio's in South Beach, Staten Island. 2155 Hylan Boulevard (Midland Avenue), Grant City, Staten Island; (718) 667-9647.

PATSY'S Patsy's is the only pizzeria left in a century-old Italian neighborhood that once was a hotbed of pizza activity. The adjoining restaurant has tablecloths and a full Italian menu; the slice space has a gorgeous oven, a simple white box that holds the slices, a soda machine and one chair that is nearly always empty. The slices are small; they have just enough cheese and the great crust that can come only from a coal-fired brick oven. 2291 First Avenue (118th Street), East Harlem; (212) 534-9783.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 04:05:45 PM »
Thanks for this list. I'm going to have to make a trip out to Joe & Pat's

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:36:05 PM »
stevevit,

Do you know how long that pie from Joe & Pat's took? I'm thinking it's a 5 min pie based strictly on how it looks to me. If you are ever out there, I'd love to know the time. I'll get there eventually, but I'm in Atlanta, so who knows when that will be.

Jeff

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 11:25:53 PM »
Do you know how long that pie from Joe & Pat's took?

No I'm not sure how long they cook them, when I was there the place was packed and took about 45 minutes to get our pie.

I didn't start making pizza until I moved to the west coast so I really didn't pay attention to the things I do now. I'm gonna guess they have a standard pizza oven around 500-550 degrees and your 5 minute estimate sounds about right considering the thickness of the pie.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:19:56 AM »
From the photo, based on the thickness, charring and general feel, I'm guessing 5-6 minutes at 650. But I'd love to know for sure. I want to learn how to make that style.

Jeff