Author Topic: Caputo 00... & Starter  (Read 2514 times)

Offline leigh.chris

• Dear Father Christmas, 1 x Stone Oven Please, TYVM
Caputo 00... & Starter
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »
https://www.nifeislife.com/product_info.php?products_id=669&PHPSESSID=88f05556539de4eb142c7721d8933008

cant find this stuff in the uk shops...

is it the stuff everyone is raving about?! Caputo 00 - and look at that bargain price! what a reduction!

oh and could someone please explain how you use a dried starter? - i read a lot about people using them, but not how they have activated them if dry, and how they keep them alive/how long they last once activated, i noticed a link to www.fermentedtreasures.com in another post so was planning on testing it out.

when would i add the starter into the mixture, and what quantitys? 5-10%? i assumed it was a yeast replacement?

thanks guys for any suggestions!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Caputo 00... & Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:23:03 PM »
Chris,

Looking at the photo at the site you linked and the description given for the flour, I am pretty certain that it is what is sold in the U.S. under the name Caputo Extra Blu 00. The bag shown in the link you provided is a bit different in that the wording Farina de grano tenero tipo "00" appears at the bottom of the bag rather than under the name Caputo as is done with the Extra Blu bags in the U.S. On the Extra Blu bags destined for the U.S., the words Ideale per pizza e dolci appear at the bottom of the bag.

Peter

Offline leigh.chris

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »
cheers for the response pete.

i will get 6kg in that case - give it a whirl!

anyone else have ideas about the starter i plan on using.

thanks

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »
Please read my response on the mentioned post about the link selling starters you are referring to...

There is no way they are selling authentic Italian cultures as well as the only company  drying them out from an original live culture is sourdough international (www.sourdo.com/italian.html).

They are being fraudelent....

Ciao

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:07:50 AM »
Marco, i understand you're involved with sourdo, being the source of their italian starters, correct?

If they are reproducing your starter, do you have legal options open to you?

Have you compared their reproduced starter to your original?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:32:05 AM »
I sent the starters to them as I considered it the best option at the time to make it available to a wider audience. My biography on the istructions is quite approximative.. as well as I was not the source of the pizza recipe.

What I know for sure is that they had the original alive version to start their stock.  Anyone else starting a culture from a dry stock and then selling it, cannot guarante the contamination free and/or the right microflora. I am not against people swooping live cultures but it should not be sold. I am considering legal option as a matter of safeguarding the final customer...

Ciao

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 07:49:44 AM »
I agree marco.

I am glad to hear you have no problems with starter swapping between bakers, i think that is good for baking worldwide, and for understanding of the different starter strains.

Good luck. I have pm'd you also on another matter.

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 11:09:12 AM »
Chris,

Looking at the photo at the site you linked and the description given for the flour, I am pretty certain that it is what is sold in the U.S. under the name Caputo Extra Blu 00. The bag shown in the link you provided is a bit different in that the wording Farina de grano tenero tipo "00" appears at the bottom of the bag rather than under the name Caputo as is done with the Extra Blu bags in the U.S. On the Extra Blu bags destined for the U.S., the words Ideale per pizza e dolci appear at the bottom of the bag.

Peter

Pete from the site that leighchris has ordered caputo it says

Developed for home baking. Homogeneous granulometry for easy hydration. Has a good mixing texture. Made for soft and well-risen doughs that stay light and tasty after baking.
Ideal for cakes.

They also sell big bags of caputo pizzeria (25kg) but that is quite alot for a home baker to buy. Maybe chris and i could split some.

But it is the ideal for cakes that worries me, would that not suggest that it is low protein OO?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 12:14:11 PM »
ernestrome,

Yes, it does suggest a lower protein level than the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour. I have some literature from the U.S. importer of the Caputo Extra Blu 00 flour and it says "This product is great for making cakes and breads."

The Extra Blu can be used for making pizzas but the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is the one that most professionals use for pizza. Splitting a bag of the Pizzeria flour does make sense.

Peter

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »
I have been making bases using marco's recipe in jff's spreadsheet for the last few weeks. I hand knead and i have found that the dough is extremely extensible. I have used gran molina and Granaro moliuino OO cake flours.

They make good pizza, but the dough is very stretchy. However i suppose because i am handkneading that i may not be developing the gluten enough. The very wet dough means it is hard to knead without incorporating a lot of bench flour in the process.

Recently i have changed to 50:50 OO and bread flour, but the bread flour i buy here in britain is relatively weak at 12% too.

If chris has not bought his OO yet, maybe we can get some together.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 12:27:47 PM by ernestrome »

Offline leigh.chris

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »
doh!! (in the homer simpson sense that is!)

sorry!  i had already ordered the 1kg bags x6 before you had posted!  And i begun a dough last night for tonights eating :D

Autolysed 650g flour with 500ml levissima water from italy and 2 x blocks of yeast, not sure how much is in each - prolly 15g-20g i think <EDIT> they are 25g cubes of fresh yeast, so i used 50g total.</EDIT> - also from nifeislife site, this afternoon will knock it back and let it proof one last time before baking it :D

where in the UK are you from ernestrome?

<EDIT> Ernestrome, do you have a starter which you use and you like?  I was looking at trying one sometime but the only place i could get one is in the US it seems, do you have some spare by any chance - i would gladly pay the postage and however much for an airtight jar to send it in?!  And would I be able to pick your brain about them?! :D -  I would like to know what exactly they are, who makes them and how.  How does one ''feed'' it, how does one incorporate it into a dough?  Do you have a decent recipe that I could try out? - please post back in here, but you can catch me on msn if you have it or pm me to discuss the matter further if you would be kind enough to share some starter!  Many Thanks</EDIT>

Chris
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:05:37 AM by leigh.chris »

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 11:09:28 AM »
I'll be happy to send you some starter. I emailed you to that effect, but didn't identify myself as ernestrome, so may have been confusing.

I'll post more about starter tmrw. But there is quite a lot of good info in the sourdough forum here and at sourdough faqs  http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html check out the starter doctor faq, for starters - boom boom!

I am living in bristol.

Offline leigh.chris

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
I never got your email mate! To where did you send it?!

im chris (funnily enough) live in man-chest-hair, add me on msn leighleighleigh@msn.com

maybe you got caught by the inpenetrable spam filter that is msn?!

hrm, i checked the spam filter!! you were in it!

thanks for the offer, can we get it arranged?! :D

<quote>
Subject: 30. How can I ship my starter to someone else?

Take refreshed starter at peak yeast activity, and add flour to make "noodle dough". Roll it flat so that 2/3 oz. or so fills a postal envelope. (A postal employee wrote suggesting a cassette mailing box available cheaply from Radio Shack -- dg) Wrap it in cling plastic and mail it ordinary first class. It should be so dry as to resemble slightly damp cardboard.

I assume a white flour starter fed and compounded with same. A week in the mail will not bother it. It can be stored in the frig for months in this form.

-Dick</quote>

Chris
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:29:46 AM by leigh.chris »