Author Topic: Joseppi's Pizza (southwest Columbus, Ohio)  (Read 4373 times)

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Joseppi's Pizza (southwest Columbus, Ohio)
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
Hi Guys:  I checked in on this thread and wanted to let you know that a weekday lunch visit is fine.  We have people in often from the community that eat a slice or three.  We are now making ricotta pies, Sicilian, calzones, cannoli's, as well as our regular NY pies.  Among  our vistors the last few weeks were Dom Tiberi the sports anchor at Channel 10, the retired head of customs for Columbus/Los Angeles airports and his buddy a retired professor that was an interpreter for the Nuremberg trials, and a group of 15 from an adult service center for people with disabilities.  The staff is use to our eclectic customer base so you 2 will fit right in :)  Walter

I can also sell you anything we have in supplies as well.   I have a case of grande LMWM diced 5lb bags that came in last week.  I never used that cut and don't like it so you can buy all you want.  We also have the loaves of Grande LMWM, 7/11 tomatoes, Bonta pizza sauce, AT/FS/harvest king/semolina, amish organic whole wheat, and a few other flours you can only get in 50lb bags. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:07:01 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
I don't know why, but I didn't even think about buying anything from you, Walter. I might be game for a bag or two of that diced mozzarella. Probably some Full Strength, too.

Why did they bring you stuff you don't use?
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline waltertore

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »
I don't know why, but I didn't even think about buying anything from you, Walter. I might be game for a bag or two of that diced mozzarella. Probably some Full Strength, too.

Why did they bring you stuff you don't use?

Ryan:  I have 6 bags left @ 5lbs each.   A cool part of my job is I get to try different things like the diced cheese and it isn't on my dime.   I try lots of different things like that.   Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
Also, it's kind of funny that you mentioned Dom Tiberi, because although I don't know him, I do know the sports anchors from both channel 4 and channel 6 (Jerod Smalley and Clay Hall). I'm not buddies with them or anything, but they both interviewed me during my days on the road (because they both used to see me walking in the middle of nowhere prior to OSU football games, in at least a few different states). Here's the only one I've uploaded to YouTube: . Sometime after this, Jerod told me they had a much better video but somehow it was lost or something. I assume the other video contained footage of me with my cardboard sign that said, "HITCHHIKED 6,000 MILES FOR YOUR EXTRA TICKET."

The guy in the video above (Jerod) also interviewed me a year later, outside Ohio Stadium, the day before the USC/OSU game in Columbus, but I've never had video of that (partly because some of it was live and I didn't know it was going to happen until it happened).

Clay Hall interviewed me outside the Rose Bowl the day before OSU played Oregon in the Rose Bowl (December 31, 2009). I like that one a lot, even though it's almost uncut. It was just before I started my long walk, and I just kinda took over the interview (because I wanted to talk about me and what I was about to do). At some point Clay asked me to say, "Life is like a box of chocolates" in a Forrest Gump voice, which I did. Sounded pretty good, too, even though I remember feeling awkward saying it in front of the camera. I have the interview with Clay on a DVD somewhere. I should upload it.

I missed you when you were on channel 10 with Kristen Hartman(?). Is that on the internet anywhere?
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline waltertore

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Ryan:  That is a great video as was your entire journey!  Here is the story on our program.  We gave Kristen a bunch of baguettes to bring back to the station and when the show aired Dom came up to me to talk about the bread.  We had about 15 pizzas with us and when he tried that we talked pizza. He is a foodie and pizza nut.  His mother in law lives in Newark so when he and his wife are visiting they stop in for some pizza.  Walter

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/04/30/sideroads-newark-high-school-bakery-makes-a-difference.html

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:26 PM »
Things shaping up well.  Ryan is RDP Restaurant Depot?  Do they stock the Ezzo constantly, or do we have to check to ensure they have it?  I can bring you some GM Full Strength from my Restaurant Depot, or whatever amount you want as I think I have about 35 lbs left in pantry stock.  I have a Restaurant Depot card so we can get in.  Walter turned me on to GM Full Strength and I haven't looked back.

Walter is a day better than others out of Tues/Thurs/Fri?  Is there a preferred time?  I will also try to be as much as a "character" as possible so not to tarnish your reputation for clients/customers!  ;D  I likely take you up on a bag of Grande too and a 1 or 2 gal bag or so of the whole wheat if you have an open bag to take it from.

Anything I can bring you...like a pineapple upside down cake?

Offline waltertore

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
Things shaping up well.  Ryan is RDP Restaurant Depot?  Do they stock the Ezzo constantly, or do we have to check to ensure they have it?  I can bring you some GM Full Strength from my Restaurant Depot, or whatever amount you want as I think I have about 35 lbs left in pantry stock.  I have a Restaurant Depot card so we can get in.  Walter turned me on to GM Full Strength and I haven't looked back.

Walter is a day better than others out of Tues/Thurs/Fri?  Is there a preferred time?  I will also try to be as much as a "character" as possible so not to tarnish your reputation for clients/customers!  ;D  I likely take you up on a bag of Grande too and a 1 or 2 gal bag or so of the whole wheat if you have an open bag to take it from.

Anything I can bring you...like a pineapple upside down cake?

Dave: Any weekday is fine you just need to let me know the date to make sure school is in session.  It seems I am off more than working with the school calendar.  I will hold the cheese for you.  Just bring yourself.  I test taste enough dessert stuff everyday to keep me struggling to button my pants :-D.  I know we are off Feb 13&15th which is ok because that is the weekend of the pizza convention in Columbus.  Walter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:18:28 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
Sorry about the slow response, Dave. I haven't logged in for a couple days till now.

RDP is RDP. It stands for "[First name] DiPaolo" or something. It's an independent distributor. I've never had any problem with them not having a certain product in stock, so I wouldn't expect any problems.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
Worst-case would be that they're out of GiAntonio pepperoni but do have other brands of Ezzo pepperoni. I love GiAntonio, so I would be disappointed if that happened. But I think that would be extremely unlikely.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
I had a Joseppi's pizza a week or two ago. It was clearly at a different stage of dough management than my other recent Joseppi's pizzas. That is, it clearly had not proofed on the pan for anywhere near as long as the other pizzas I've had from Joseppi's in recent months. Basically, it didn't have that craggy texture on the bottom of the pizza.

One thing I may have learned from this recent pizza is that it felt like same-day dough. I really can't say anything specific about how it felt physically, but it tasted like same-day dough. It didn't have any of the complexity or whatever, that you get with dough that's at least 24 hours old. Also, I had this pizza in the evening, rather than mid-afternoon.

It also occurred to me that there may be a little bit of molasses in their dough, too. If so, I would imagine it's less than 1% molasses. There is definitely some kind of unusual ingredient in their dough, which gives the crust a mildly different taste than similar crusts, but I really don't know if it's molasses.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
I had another Joseppi's Topper recently, and there were a few characteristics that I feel are worth mentioning:

1. The bottom of the crust had some blisters (mostly on the outside, I believe). Not a lot, but some. I don't think this is a common characteristic of Joseppi's pizza, but it may be somewhat common.

The blisters suggest to me that the skin was sheeted at least a few hours before it was used (or probably even longer), and also that the skin may have been cold when baked. The blisters also suggest that the dough may have been made and sheeted a day earlier, then kept cold.

2. The crust had a little bit of an overfermented feel. What I mean is that the crust seemed just a little dense and hard, which to me tends to indicate overfermentation.

Largely because of this characteristic, but in conjunction with point #1, I feel like they probably bulk ferment their dough, which previously I thought they may not do. I mean, you just can't get those characteristics without doing a long ferment. However, since the crust did not have much crater action, or any other signs of lengthy fermentation, I feel pretty sure it was stored in the fridge beginning immediately after sheeting and ending very shortly before baking, and also that it probably spent a lot of time fermenting before it was sheeted.

3. The crust didn't seem like it had risen much (after being sheeted), plus it didn't have much of that crater characteristic on the bottom.

This kind of goes along with my second point.

Here's what I think it all means:
  • Dough is probably made in the morning every day, to be used the same day, but might be made the day before it's used.
  • Dough bulk ferments at room temperature throughout the day, or at least for a few hours.
  • Several dozen skins (or more) are sheeted and panned before lunch rush. I think I'm leaning toward believing they probably sheet all the day's dough before the lunch rush, rather than sheeting a good portion of dough before lunch rush, then sheeting the rest of the dough before dinner rush.
  • A few dozen of those skins are placed on racks above the make line.
  • The remaining skins are refrigerated, then pulled from the cooler maybe 1-2 hours before they are needed. In some cases, like with the pizza I had recently, the dough skin may be used considerably sooner than one or two hours after being removed from the fridge.
  • The dough is probably pretty similar to a New York style dough, with a hydration percentage in the upper 50s.
  • The yeast percentage should be just enough to end up with dough that can bulk ferment for maybe 12 hours before finally becoming unusable.

Other thoughts about Joseppi's pizza:
  • There is nothing crispy about their crust. It is mostly soft but has a little bit of crunch on the outer edge.
  • The cheese is provolone. It's not Grande, and I don't think it's cheap stuff, but I don't know what brand it is.
  • The sauce seems to be made with a pretty good quality tomato product. I would be inclined to think probably something from Stanislaus, but I don't know which product. I think Joseppi's sauce contributes more to the flavor of the pizza than a lot of other places' sauce. I'm probably never going to figure out how to make their sauce, but that may help. The only other thing I can really say about their sauce that might be helpful, at least right now, is that there is a noticeable amount of oregano in it. There may also be a noticeable amount of sugar.
  • I bought my most recent pizza in the evening. I think it was probably around 7:00. This may not seem like important information at first, but I think it is, because pizzas I get from Joseppi's in the mid-afternoon don't seem to have that nearly overfermented characteristic. One thing this tells me is that there seems to be a very good chance that Joseppi's makes dough every morning, mostly for use the same day. In fact, it suggests to me that they may manage their dough the same way Pizza Hut used to manage their thin and crispy dough (when they still used fresh dough).
  • The dough is stiff enough that it should not cause any problems with a sheeter, but it is soft enough that sometimes the crust thickness can be a little inconsistent across a pizza. I get the feeling this crust thickness inconsistency may be from when workers position the skin on the pan; that sometimes prep workers just can't help pressing a small part of the skin a little too hard. The small inconsistencies in thickness are also a big part of what make me think the dough is pretty soft; just a little bit stiffer than New York style dough.
If anything I have said here doesn't add up to you, please point it out.
Ryan