Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
Yes, you did fine. Not all Chi thin joints bake it crisp....plus, that dough had a lot of oil in it. What did you bake at, 450?
480 for almost 8 minutes.
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
I have learned some things since I posted last but have continued to experiment, more out of pizza obsessiveness than my actual love of this particular pizza.  I have my sights set on bigger things but keep coming back to this.  I have eaten pizza from four more Casey’s, and made a few as well since the last post. 

One of the things I have learned is that I have been confused about what I was producing at home.  I have been using a 16 inch pan, thinking it was a 14 in pan.  I knew it was a 16 inch pan before I started this whole thing, but was so excited to use Peter’s formulation I used his 14 inch dough recipe in the 16 in pan and have been ever since.  It was not until my mother asked for a scaled down version for her 13 inch pan that I realized what I have been doing. 

Here is Peter’s Casey’s clone:

Casey's Clone Dough Formulation #1
Flour (100%):
Water (50%):
IDY (2%):
Salt (2%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (5%):
Sugar (5%):
Sweet Dried Dairy Whey (4%):
(Dough Conditioner) (1.5%):
Total (169.5%):
307.08 g  |  10.83 oz | 0.68 lbs
153.54 g  |  5.42 oz | 0.34 lbs
6.14 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 2.04 tsp | 0.68 tbsp
6.14 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.1 tsp | 0.37 tbsp
15.35 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.38 tsp | 1.13 tbsp
15.35 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.85 tsp | 1.28 tbsp
12.28 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.07 tsp | 1.36 tbsp
4.61 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs
520.51 g | 18.36 oz | 1.15 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough (18 ounces) is for a large (14") pizza; the corresponding thickness factor = 18/(3.14159 x7 x 7) = 0.11693; bowl residue compensation = 2%

This is way too thick for a 14 inch pizza with the current formulation, at least to try to replicate what Casey’s is making right now.  I am still convinced this is not the same pizza I used to make there.  As far as 18oz of dough, that was information from someone that didn't really seem like he cared that much, and the actual dough ball I purchased was a little less than 17oz.  17oz will result in TF 0.110434

If I put this 18 oz dough in a 16 in pan the TF goes down to .089524, and this is pretty close to what I have actually have been purchasing.  I wonder if this is a starting weight, rolled over sized, placed in cutter pans and trimmed.  The placement of perfectly round, sheeted dough has already been questioned in this thread.  So I think trimming the excess off may solve this problem.

I also know that the edges are either pushed or rolled down to achieve the rim of the pizza.  I have been able to unroll the over floured dough at the edge of actual an Casey's post bake at least twice. 

I have determined by trying to reduce the TF to .09 on purpose, and achieving the exact same result I have come to expect with Casey’s thickness, that .09 is perfect.  If rolled with a pastry roller to just over the size, and then folding over the excess to form the rim.

The perforated dark cutter pan, while not essential, seriously affects the quality of the crust.  Obviously a non-perforated aluminum pan changed the crust some, but my sister said it was still better than Casey’s.

I have tried under kneading/mixing as result of an article Peter showed me in the use of a sheeter, and felt that made for an even softer dough. 

I have also made this with gold medal bread flour every time but twice, both of those times I tried AP generic flour.  This also may for a softer crust with less chew, still good for what it is.  I will employ KABF once GM is gone.

I have still been unable to find sweet dairy whey locally, and have been subbing dry milk, but it is in my amazon cart waiting until I need something else to get free shipping.

My sauce is spot on and the Hormel pepperoni are good, still need to get some Stella cheese, but know where to get it now.

I have also experimented again with this as a one hour Chi Thin with success at this post on Chicago Bob’s thread
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22946.msg333903#msg333903

So anyway here is the Casey’s Clone. TF 0.09 for a 16 in pan:

Flour (100%):
Water (50%):
IDY (2%):
Salt (2%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (5%):
Sugar (5%):
Sweet Dried Dairy Whey (4%):
Total (168%):
311.47 g  |  10.99 oz | 0.69 lbs
155.74 g  |  5.49 oz | 0.34 lbs
6.23 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 2.07 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
6.23 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.12 tsp | 0.37 tbsp
15.57 g | 0.55 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.43 tsp | 1.14 tbsp
15.57 g | 0.55 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.91 tsp | 1.3 tbsp
12.46 g | 0.44 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.12 tsp | 1.37 tbsp
523.27 g | 18.46 oz | 1.15 lbs | TF = 0.0918
Note: Dough (18 ounces) is for a 16" pizza; bowl residue compensation = 2%

Middle rack.  In my oven, when the cheese starts to brown the crust is done.  About 7 min at 480F.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:03:06 PM by Jakew81 »

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
Okay, I just made the best version of Casey's pizza to date.  An "Extra Large".

I mixed this in the bread maker again for 7 minutes, hand kneaded a few times, balled, and put in a warmed oven for 2 hours

I used the 18 ounces of dough, in the 16 inch pan, as I have been.  The difference is that I rolled the dough out a little bigger than the pan, placed it in the pan before I docked it, and folded the extra dough over and pinched it down to form the rim.  I then lightly docked it with a fork.  The rim was perfect. 

I Gave it a little more sauce than I have been using. I am not sure how much for sure, but it was at least 5oz.  It is contadina puree with a little oil, sugar, salt, "Italian seasoning" ( Oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil, rosemary, and, sage), and some onion powder, thinned out with a little water.  I don't measure anything just to taste.  Not overly seasoned, very tomato-y.  This has been the constant factor from the beginning.

I used Trader Joe's WMLM.  I shredded a whole pound, I am sure little fingers took at least an ounce, but let's call it a pound.  This was the biggest change 3 more ounces of cheese, and the closest cheese I have tried to date.  The cheese on a Casey's pizza is almost as thick as the dough.  Knowing that I have been making a pizza bigger than a large, I knew I needed more cheese! 

This was IMHO better than Casey's, but close enough to fool someone that it was.  Both of the kids said this was better than Casey's, and the best knock off so far.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Great pizzamaking Jake!     Wonderful to see the kids involved too......fun times man.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Great pizzamaking Jake!     Wonderful to see the kids involved too......fun times man.  :chef:

Thanks Bob,
This evening certainly was fun, I really think we made a memory!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Jake,

Great looking pizza! :chef: :pizza:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Jake,

I imagine that you feel good that you can now make a Casey's clone any time you want and have it better than the real thing. Plus, you can now start getting a return on your investment.

When you eventually get to using whey it will be interesting to see if you like that ingredient better than the dry milk powder. And whether you get closer to the real Casey's pizza.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
Jake,

Great looking pizza! :chef: :pizza:

Norma

Norma
Thanks, that means a lot. Thank you again for your help researching this with me. You are very kind.

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
Jake,

I imagine that you feel good that you can now make a Casey's clone any time you want and have it better than the real thing. Plus, you can now start getting a return on your investment.

When you eventually get to using whey it will be interesting to see if you like that ingredient better than the dry milk powder. And whether you get closer to the real Casey's pizza.

Peter

Peter
I do feel good, and I doubt I will be spending any more money on Casey's pizza any time soon.  I will report back when I eventually get the whey in.  But for now you and the other kind people on this forum have helped me make my kids very happy. This may not be everybody's ideal pizza by any stretch of the imagination, but my daughter thanks you.  She just said "That was the best pizza you have ever made in my life... and you have made a lot of pizza."

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
...This was IMHO better than Casey's, but close enough to fool someone that it was.  Both of the kids said this was better than Casey's, and the best knock off so far.
I sure enjoyed this thread, and the way all of you were working together, I was betting that sooner or later this statement was going to show up!!  That's our quest, isn't it?  Try to copy, then make it better!

Great job to all, and a classic thread.

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
I sure enjoyed this thread, and the way all of you were working together, I was betting that sooner or later this statement was going to show up!!  That's our quest, isn't it?  Try to copy, then make it better!

Great job to all, and a classic thread.

Moose
Thanks for the kind words.  I really am happy with the results, and never really expected such a collaboration. I sometimes re-read this thread just for fun.  I had a great time working with the great folks here that have a passion for pizza and learning, whom are very generous and thoughtful.