Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 13297 times)

Offline RobDude

Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »
I spent four years in college living less than a block from a Casey's.  I even remember seeing ads for their pizza in the window - but I figured, 'Ewwww - pizza from a gas station?  No thanks!'

Now I wish I would have tried it.  These look great.  I'm going to have to add this to my list of recipes to try!

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
Rob
I wish you would have tried it too.  Any way if you do give it a go, I'd love to know.  Nice job on the latest chicago thin btw. 
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
Here is an article from Time magazine on convenience store pizzas, including those sold by Casey's, Wawa and Sheetz:

http://time.com/3852269/why-we-cant-get-enough-of-gas-station-pizza/

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
Here is an article from Time magazine on convenience store pizzas, including those sold by Casey's, Wawa and Sheetz:

http://time.com/3852269/why-we-cant-get-enough-of-gas-station-pizza/

Peter

Peter, great article.  All the food at Casey's is good.  I would drive past dozens of Dunkin Donuts for a Casey's cake doughnut, or french cruller.  Best cake donuts Iíve ever had anywhere, bar none.  They have great sandwiches and everything is better than most fast food. 
Last night I made the first Casey's style pizza since last year.  The biggest reason is because of an utter failure at a Detroit style... but I digress.

I bought 3 12 inch Wilton perforated pans from Walmart some time back and they work great for this style of pizza.  They were about $5 each, and work great for this recipe.  I could theoretically make medium pies one at a time indefinitely for a party with these pans.  Did not find ChicagoBobís Premio sausage on my trek to Wally World, but I checked again. 

I tried half chellino scamorza half Trader Joes WMLM on one but it was not markedly any better, waste of scamorza.  But still as good as the other.
My kids have been missing this pizza apparently.  Some actual Caseyís breakfast pizza that was sent home with us has been sitting in the fridge for the better part of a week and no one has finished it but these two pizzas were nearly finished off.  Maybe I should treat my kids to this more often.

Happy weekend everybody!

P.S.  That first pic is my Detroit Failure.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:58:30 PM by Jakew81 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »
Nice looking pizzas dude....Detroiter don't look like a failure to me!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
Thanks Bob. 
I guess looking at the picture the Detroiter doesn't look terrible but it was bad.  Really bad.  I was trying to do a room temp ferment and did not account for some changes in the room temp.  I was about 12 hrs ahead of schedule so I stuck it in the fridge.  When i came back it had totally deflated and I thought it was dead.  Tried too revive it in a warm oven.  Looks ok but the texture was abhorrent.   :'(  Got some nice crispy cheese though!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »

I was trying to do a room temp ferment and did not account for some changes in the room temp.  I was about 12 hrs ahead of schedule so I stuck it in the fridge.  When i came back it had totally deflated and I thought it was dead.  Tried too revive it in a warm oven.  Looks ok but the texture was abhorrent.   :'(  Got some nice crispy cheese though!

Jake,

I didn't think your Detroit style pizza looked bad either.  When I was new to making Detroit style pizzas I also did about the same thing that you did.  I put the proofed dough into the deli case until I wanted to use it.  It never would rise again right.  I still don't know why that didn't work.

Glad to hear you liked the crispy cheese.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
When I was new to making Detroit style pizzas I also did about the same thing that you did.  I put the proofed dough into the deli case until I wanted to use it.  It never would rise again right.  I still don't know why that didn't work.
Norma

Thanks for saying that I'm glad to know it.  I will have to give it another shot and keep that in mind.  My wife said next time I do something like that we should just make it for breakfast instead of trying to delay it. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2015, 08:29:27 PM »
Norma

Thanks for saying that I'm glad to know it.  I will have to give it another shot and keep that in mind.  My wife said next time I do something like that we should just make it for breakfast instead of trying to delay it.

Jake,

I agree with your wife about a breakfast pizza if the timing isn't right.  If you want to cold fermented a balled dough, and then press it out cold in the pan, then let it rise, it doesn't take really long for it to proof.  The proofing can be done in the oven with the light on. 

We all learn by trying things.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »
Jake,

I agree with your wife about a breakfast pizza if the timing isn't right.  If you want to cold fermented a balled dough, and then press it out cold in the pan, then let it rise, it doesn't take really long for it to proof.  The proofing can be done in the oven with the light on. 

We all learn by trying things.

Norma

Norma
I agree, always learning!  Thanks!