Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 15785 times)

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
Peter
I agree and am glad to read that article.  I was sure that when I worked there it really was made from scratch with flour and sugar and water, not a premix.  From that article it also seems they are using the same cheese they always have only now pre-shredded with cellulose and natamycin like most pre-shredded cheese.  I plan on always using block cheese and shredding my own. 
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
If some of Casey's specialty pizzas are looked at, in addition to the breakfast pizza, some of the other specialty pizzas do include cheddar. 

https://www.zomato.com/lathrop-mo/casey-pizza-lathrop/menu#tabtop

Norma

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
If some of Casey's specialty pizzas are looked at, in addition to the breakfast pizza, some of the other specialty pizzas do include cheddar. 

https://www.zomato.com/lathrop-mo/casey-pizza-lathrop/menu#tabtop

Norma

Norma,  I don't know how you found that menu, but it is not a Casey's menu.  It is for Breadeaux pizza, another Iowa based takeout place.  It has been speculated that Breadeaux may have been started by a person formerly employed by, and possibly in upper management, at Casey's. 
Here is Breadeaux's menu  http://breadeauxpizza.com/full-menu/

It has been discussed here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327327#msg327327, and here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327371#msg327371

My wife and I discussed Breadeaux pizza last night during our Casey's discussion.  They claim to be cold fermenting as I recall Casey's doing when I worked there.

I imagine Casey's would be upset by the webpage you found. 

Casey's does have a Bacon Cheeseburger with Cheddar on it in addition to the Breakfast Pizzas and Taco I mentioned before however.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:39:13 PM by Jakew81 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
Norma,  I don't know how you found that menu, but it is not a Casey's menu.  It is for Breadeaux pizza, another Iowa based takeout place.  It has been speculated that Breadeaux may have been started by a person formerly employed by, and possibly in upper management, at Casey's. 
Here is Breadeaux's menu  http://breadeauxpizza.com/full-menu/

It has been discussed here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327327#msg327327, and here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327371#msg327371

My wife and I discussed Breadeaux pizza last night during our Casey's discussion.  They claim to be cold fermenting as I recall Casey's doing when I worked there.

I imagine Casey's would be upset by the webpage you found. 

Casey's does have a Bacon Cheeseburger with Cheddar on it in addition to the Breakfast Pizzas and Taco I mentioned before however.

Jake,

Thanks for telling me that the link wasn't a Casey's menu, but for a Breadeaux pizza.  I forgot about the mention of Breadeaux pizza in the links you provided on this thread. 

Interesting that you and your wife were discussing Breadeaux pizza last night during your conversations about Casey's pizza and the thoughts about cold fermenting like when you worked at Casey's. 

Norma

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2015, 01:43:32 PM »
Jake,

Thanks for telling me that the link wasn't a Casey's menu, but for a Breadeaux pizza.  I forgot about the mention of Breadeaux pizza in the links you provided on this thread. 

Interesting that you and your wife were discussing Breadeaux pizza last night during your conversations about Casey's pizza and the thoughts about cold fermenting like when you worked at Casey's. 

Norma

Norma up until this point we have been trying to recreate what Casey's is producing right now, with the exclusion of the 2% dough conditioners, and I have been more than happy with that.  Again this is not my ideal pizza but something that is really popular with my kids, my extended family, and most people I know and work with.  It does well around here, and If I can get close, that's good enough for me right now. 
That being said, I think if I wanted to make a good Casey's clone of what they were producing 15-25 years ago we would have to do a longer cold ferment, and go back up in TF.  In doing so we might want to compare a Breadeaux pizza, as it has been 20 years since either of us has had one, but that can wait for now.

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
While researching Casey's distribution and purchasing agreements I found this study on Casey's business model and attempted hostile takeover.  http://www.gurufocus.com/news/178376/caseys-general-stores-more-than-just-a-gas-station

This quote really sums up how many feel about Casey's around here.

"Casey’s food has a reputation, and people will go there just to get the food, which is fairly unique in the convenience store industry. Most convenience store pizza is just something you pick up on impulse while standing in line to pay for your Coke, but people will go to Casey’s on purpose just to eat their pizza or to get a dozen donuts to take to work."

Offline mattiehatter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2015, 03:36:42 AM »
The large is 16 oz, medium is 13 oz and a small is 10 oz. The dough is only good for 48 hours so a two day cold ferment is not right. Larges are cut in 12 slices.  Mediums and smalls are cut in 6 slices. I would cut mediums into 8 slices when it was a ordered medium, but warmers had to be 6. I worked for casey's not that long ago.

Peter, I remember making dough a couple of times a week at the store in a floor stand mixer, and bulk fermenting in a plastic bucket.  It has been some time but I don't remember measuring out the dough or dough balling.  I believe we would just guesstimate, and cut from the dough out of the tub after a couple of days of cold fermentation.  We would dust it in flour, run it through the sheeter once, dust and turn a quarter and run it through again so it was roughly round.  Then we would dock it heavily and lay it over the sprayed pan.  We would cut off any excess and then push it in around the edge of the perforated pan to form a slightly raised crust.  No real hand stretching or shaping.  Even around here the pizza varies by location.  Sometimes it is way thinner and leathery, sometimes it is really thick and soft.  You tend to find a store you like.  My wife has been talking about one time years ago when there was more cheese than dough, and the cheese creeped up around and under the dough.  I have been known to drive past one Casey's to get pizza from another.  They are like Starbucks around here, one on every other corner.  Let's just say it varies from store to store, but the basics of the crust are pretty much the same.  I would know it by feel and I think I am getting close from the feel of the dough I made today... but I am often wrong when it comes to pizza dough.  I don't know the sizes other than there were 3 sizes of pans we would size the dough to.  I am fairly certain that the boxes they come in now are smaller then they were when I worked there and the prices are certainly much higher.  $ 16 for a large "specialty",    like a taco or supreme, I know that a small single topping used to be $5.  I have a 16 in pan I plan on using, and I think that is what a large used to be, but I suspect they have gotten slightly smaller.   The Larges are 8 slices and I believe the mediums are six.  I don't think I ever made a small pizza.

Offline mattiehatter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2015, 03:49:39 AM »
It's a premix now. The closest recipe I've found is

2½ cups warm water 110°
¼ cup sugar
3 teaspoons instant yeast
¼ cup vegetable oil
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
Peter
I agree and am glad to read that article.  I was sure that when I worked there it really was made from scratch with flour and sugar and water, not a premix.  From that article it also seems they are using the same cheese they always have only now pre-shredded with cellulose and natamycin like most pre-shredded cheese.  I plan on always using block cheese and shredding my own.

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
The large is 16 oz, medium is 13 oz and a small is 10 oz. The dough is only good for 48 hours so a two day cold ferment is not right. Larges are cut in 12 slices.  Mediums and smalls are cut in 6 slices. I would cut mediums into 8 slices when it was a ordered medium, but warmers had to be 6. I worked for casey's not that long ago.

Mary, welcome and thanks for your interest and information. 
If these weights are what you went by it only adds to my belief that the process varies from store to store.  I have now heard four different weights for a large pizza dough.  18oz, 17oz, 16oz, and the last week I found a location near the border of Missouri that actually uses a cutter pan the way it was designed to be used, guesstimating and cutting off the excess.  That is how we used to do it and the first time I have eaten Casey's in years that did not have the weird fold over crust.  I plan on not doing this in the future, even though many who have tried my pizza seem to think is intrinsic to the style, it was not so 15 years ago.

The thickness factors for the three sizes with the weights you stated are;
0.1039 for a 14' large
0.1149 for a 12' medium
0.1273 for a 10' small

I find this interesting, but do not doubt your numbers at all.

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #234 on: June 19, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
It's a premix now. The closest recipe I've found is

2½ cups warm water 110°
¼ cup sugar
3 teaspoons instant yeast
¼ cup vegetable oil
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt

I have converted your volumetric recipe in to Bakers Percent and compared it to my latest iteration of Casey’s crust.  Although it is lacking the whey, the numbers are not that far off, and until recently I felt 50% hydration was the sweet spot.  Both formulas below are for a 12 inch pizza.

Mine:
Flour (100%)  350.28g
Water (55%)  192.66g
IDY (2%)       7.01g
Salt (2%)       7.01g
Veg Oil (5%)  17.51g
Sugar (5% )   17.51g
Sweet Dairy Whey (4% ) 14.01g
Total (173%)  605.99g
Single Ball     303g 
TF =  0.0945

Mary's converted volumetric recipe:
Flour (100%):    224.64 g
Water (47.6%):    106.93 g
IDY (1.2%):    2.7 g
Salt (1.3%):    2.92 g
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (7.2%):    16.17 g
Sugar (6.7%):    15.05 g
Total (164%):   368.4 g
TF = 0.1149
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:41:23 PM by Jakew81 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Jake,

When Norma and I and some other members were active on the Mellow Mushroom thread, we found that the weights for real MM dough balls we're all over the place. And that was for dough balls made by commercial equipment. It still puzzles me how machine-made dough balls could be off so much. But, that said, being off by an ounce or two on the medium dough ball weight is not a disaster. I used to make decent Papa John's clone pizzas using 21 and 22 ounce dough balls (for the 14" size) until I discovered that the real PJ dough balls weighed 20.25 ounces plus or minus a quarter of an ounce. For reverse engineering and cloning purposes, I would suggest a dough ball weight of around 20 ounces, just to be more accurate and precise.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
Jake,

When Norma and I and some other members were active on the Mellow Mushroom thread, we found that the weights for real MM dough balls we're all over the place. And that was for dough balls made by commercial equipment. It still puzzles me how machine-made dough balls could be off so much. But, that said, being off by an ounce or two on the medium dough ball weight is not a disaster. I used to make decent Papa John's clone pizzas using 21 and 22 ounce dough balls (for the 14" size) until I discovered that the real PJ dough balls weighed 20.25 ounces plus or minus a quarter of an ounce. For reverse engineering and cloning purposes, I would suggest a dough ball weight of around 20 ounces, just to be more accurate and precise.

Peter
Peter
I agree, not a big deal. Also I feel the actual Casey's product is all over the place.  I am starting to find I like it a little thicker than the local places are producing lately.  It seems the farther away from the corporate eye, the more dough and cheese the store seems to use.