Author Topic: Domino's - inspiration - a quick story  (Read 279 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Domino's - inspiration - a quick story
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Today, for the first time in a long time I tried a slice of Domino's (margherita, to be exact) from a franchise here in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

One of our interns brought some leftovers today, and as she'd tried my pies before and knows I'm a pizza nut inevitably we chatted pizza. As it turns out she doen't like "brazilian style" pizza dough, and prefers Domino's over anything available locally.

Here's what I noticed from the slice I had: light, golden brown rim, with faint blistering perceivable through the heavy corn-meal dusting.  Undercarriage coloration was the same, with visible screen crosshatch markings...Tight, dense crumb (bready), soft, more sweet (slightly) than salty. I kinda liked it. I think. Sauce was robust in flavor, and somewhat thick. Cheese was unremarkable.

So, because I do enjoy a challenge and every now and then I like to experiment - I'll be setting out to recreate roughly the same style pie.  I would really like to show up to work with an entire pie for her, because she deserves it.

I'm not set on doing anything serious like a 100% reverse engineering effort, I'd like to simply be in the ballpark, and have some fun doing it. Very happy that I'll be able to consult some good info here to help guide my efforts.

Well, I'll probably start out with a straightforward direct dough, with about 3% sugar, and oil,milk and maybe even some egg. I'll post results here.

Later, and have a great weekend everybody!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Domino's - inspiration - a quick story
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »
Dough was prepared Friday evening - pie baked this Sunday am.

A roughly 14" pie topped with sweet onions, chopped ham and fresh mushrooms. Out of the oven, a light sprinkling of dried oregano.

So I tried a slice...not bad. It's in the ballpark  ;) 

But for my taste buds this morning, something was missing...some heat >:D! A diced, oil-cured pimenta malaguetta did the trick.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline waynesize

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
Sorry Johnny, that looks way too good to be a Domino's pizza! You will have to tone it down a bit.

Wayne

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
Wayne, I've got another couple doughballs (one in the fridge and one in the freezer), next time I'll have to leave a thicker rim.

Thanks for the props - I'll tone it down for the next effort  :-D  ;D

J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
J,

I know that you are not striving for authenticity, but you can see the ingredients that Domino's uses for it pizza dough, including the hand tossed dough, at https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/ingredients.jsp. As you can see there, the dough uses a fairly pedestrian unmalted but enriched flour that is supplemented with vital wheat gluten. In the past, Domino's has insisted that its dough is not frozen. However, as you will note in the PMQ Think Tank thread at http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/analysing-dominos-crust.10174/, where a member was trying to replicate a Domino's crust, Tom Lehmann says that the Domino's dough is frozen.

Peter

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
Peter - I was unable to open the link (using Safari and Google Chrome). I did find Tom Lehmann's comments interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Well, I defrosted one of my "Domino's inspired doughballs" last night. The dough was in the fridge for 2 days when I realized that I wouldn't be baking anytime soon - so I froze it for later use.  About 2 hours out of the freezer, the doughball was defrosted, but still cold in the center - but that didn't stop me from getting started. It was easy to open. For this bake I used a large, perforated aluminum pizza baking pan which is about 14" across.  I lightly oiled it, then opened the doughball using cornmeal on my work surface. 

Pie baked on the middle rack of my gas oven which was preheated to 290 degrees celsius for a measly 15 minutes. Bake time around 12 minutes.

Topped with diced pepperoni, fresh mushrooms.  And they say there's a first time for everything: I brushed some butter on the cornicione before putting the pie in the oven.

My thoughts:  The dough had very good flavor, was crisp and tender at the same time - very light as I recall.  I wouldn't hesitate to prepare some of these doughballs for a kids pizza party, or to leave in "standby" mode in the freezer when the urge hits for an "easy"pie, without the need of preheating a stone, using a peel, etc.  In other words, it's a pie that has its applications - especially when used with the perforated aluminum baking pan. 

Enough ranting, cheers! And some pics.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
J,

The link works for me so I am not sure where the problem lies. However, I found this document that contains the same information: http://cache.dominos.com/homev8/docs/menu/dominos_nutrition_v2.21.00.pdf. Numbered page 3 has the pizza ingredients information.

BTW, your pizzas look great. Can you tell me what dough recipe you used?

Peter

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:27:24 PM »
J,

The link works for me so I am not sure where the problem lies. However, I found this document that contains the same information: http://cache.dominos.com/homev8/docs/menu/dominos_nutrition_v2.21.00.pdf. Numbered page 3 has the pizza ingredients information.

BTW, your pizzas look great. Can you tell me what dough recipe you used?

Peter

Thanks Peter. The recipe I used was:

100% AP flour (9.8% protein)
48% water
5% whole milk
4% soybean oil
3% sugar
1.7% salt
1% VWG
1% fresh CY

I made 3 doughballs ~ 450 grams each, with one "peewee" weighting around 280 gms.

1. Mix water, milk, sugar, salt together. Whisk in oil. I added a handful of flour to give the oil something to cling to, therefore "preventing" separation. Whisked a bit more. Whisk in CY.
2. Whisk together VWG and AP flour.
3. Add mixture from step 1 into the flour, using the back of a wooden spoon to mix.
4.  Knead until smooth - folding dough onto itself with quarter turns.
5. I left the entire dough mass ferment in the fridge for 8 hours, before dividing and balling.
6. Dough can be left to ferment in the fridge for another 16 hours or so or frozen for later use ( I tried both and they came out great).

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:44:37 PM »
J,

Thank you.

What follows is a pretty quick analysis but based on a dough ball weight of 450 grams, I believe your dough formulation looks like this:

Flour (100%):
Water (48%):
CY (1%):
Salt (1.70%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (4%):
Sugar (3%):
Vital Wheat Gluten (1%):
Milk (fresh) (5%):
Total (163.7%):
274.89 g  |  9.7 oz | 0.61 lbs
131.95 g  |  4.65 oz | 0.29 lbs
2.75 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs |
4.67 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.84 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
11 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.42 tsp | 0.81 tbsp
8.25 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.07 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
2.75 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.99 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
13.74 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.75 tsp | 0.92 tbsp
450 g | 15.87 oz | 0.99 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: No bowl residue compensation

Overall, but for the fact that you used whole milk in lieu of whey, the pecking order of your formulation looks to be about right.

If we take the water content of the milk into account, and add the vital wheat gluten to the flour, the "true" hydration is about 51.9%. Adding in the "wetness" contribution of the 4% oil, the "effective" hydration is around 55.9%. That might be a few percent on the low side for an all-purpose flour. Using the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/, and assuming a typical protein content of about 67% for the vital wheat gluten, I estimate that the protein content of the all-purpose flour/vital wheat gluten blend is around 10.2%.

From the Domino's nutrition document at https://order.dominos.com/en/assets/derived/pdf/DominosNutritionGuide.pdf, it looks like your 450 gram dough ball qualifies as the amount of dough for a medium size pizza (hand tossed). I assume that the Domino's nutrition information is for a baked pizza, not an unbaked one. Either way, it looks like Domino's uses much more oil than sugar by weight.

Did you note the size of your pizza by any chance?

In any event you did well.

Peter

pizzapan