Author Topic: Latest attempt  (Read 606 times)

Offline sophiapetrillo

• I Love Pizza!
Latest attempt
« on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
Pizza is delicious, so I decided it would be cheaper and better to make one myself, so I joined the forum. I have made several pizzas prior to posting, so this is not my first. It is, however, my latest and I would like some insight on what I'm doing right/wrong.
I used this recipe at http://hilahcooking.com/homemade-pizza/, but cut it in half and made a 16in pie, opposed to four or five 12in pies. It came out pretty good, I think, and tastes pretty good as well. I used KABF and Sargento mozzarella-provolone, Tuttorosso pizza sauce and store brand pepperonis. The pizza sauce tasted like Chef Boyardee before I added some spices, so I've learned to never buy that brand again. The crust tastes fermented, as I suppose it should, but I probably should have cooked it longer, to achieve a golden color. Other than that, it tasted like one you could get at a shop like Sbarro's (which I don't find too shabby). Tell me what you guys think and what I should do to improve.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:35:34 PM by sophiapetrillo »

Offline moose13

Re: Latest attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
Looks good to me!
I have found it comes down to the ingredients, make your own sauce if you cannot find a really good store bought one. It's worth it.
I started making pizza with your typical packaged pepperoni and shredded mozzarella. My pizza game improved when i switched to fresh mozz and higher end meats.
One trick that some may call cheating, if your pizza looks done but the crust is a bit pale, take it out and brush on some olive oil on the rim, back in the oven for a few minutes will get you a nice golden brown without overdoing the rest of your pie. Just a few things i have done to improve.

One trick with the pepperoni, mine would always come out too greasy so i would put them on a paper towel and microwave them a bit to release some of the oil, pat dry then add to my pizza.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:09:35 PM by moose13 »

Offline sophiapetrillo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, moose13! I've been thinking of making my own mozzarella, but that's a future project. The next time I make a pie, I'll try to invest in some finer ingredients (first I have to finish off the rest of my store bought ingredients).

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
  I agree with Moose in making your own sauce. Good crushed tomatoes with a little basil and oregano makes a tasty sauce. Don't cook the sauce, it cooks on the pie. The recipe and workflow is OK. One major problem is they use volume measurements instead of measuring by weight. Measuring flour by volume, one cup can be anywhere from 4.5 oz to 5 oz on average, and you will never get consistent results. You may ask Pete about this, I know he has done the research. I just can't remember what thread it is in. Learning to use the dough calculator is the key to sizing and thickness of your pie. Buy a digital scale they go for around $20 or so. If using a stone, pre-heat it for at least an hour. You may want to check out the NY style thread, it has recipes by weight. For my regular pies I do either a NY style, or Pete's Papa John's clone that I modified for my tastes in the American pizza thread. Norma's pies are great also, and easy for a beginner. Your pies looked good. I think a couple of more minutes in the oven will give you the great color to the cheese and the crust. If you want a crisp crust, don't let it sit in the pan after cooking, this will result in a soft bottom. When the pie is done, I slide it off the stone and onto a cooling rack. This lets the steam escape and keeps the bottom crisp. I usually let the pie rest for about five minutes before slicing. You are off to a good start. Keep us updated and include pics.

Offline schold

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
Look wise, the only thing that should be improved is a bit more browning on the crust. For American style pizza, I use store-bought pizza sauce as well. As long as it tastes good  :)
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White