Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 156529 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1040 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1041 on: January 18, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
Norma,

I think you are doing just fine. When I did my bake tests, I didn't always get the skins to balloon up. So, I tried to split them as best I could and pierced them in several places with the sharp tip of a kitchen knife. Ultimately, what you want to do is get the skins to dry out as soon as possible. Splitting and piercing the partially baked skins helps this process. I also found that it didn't take the full recommended time for the skins to dry out and stabilize in weight. But keeping the temperature of the toaster oven fairly stable was important. You might check the skins after about six hours. Based on my calculations for your MM clone dough formulation, I think you should get a finished weight of about 6 grams. That would mean that the skin contains about 40% water. Whether that holds true for the real MM skin remains to be seen. If you'd like, you can check the weights of the skins from time to time to see if they have stabilized. Since you used two different size lids, the stabilization may not occur at exactly the same moment. You can remove both skins once their weights have both stabilized, and note their final values. In all my tests with my MM clone doughs, I got about 6 grams and it did not change thereafter with more baking. So far, both of your skins look alike, including the color.

I will leave it up to you on taking a photo of the frozen MM dough ball, if only to nail down that weight. It looks like the Amarillo sign is still moving.

As far as other tests are concerned, I think I would like to see some sort of gluten test. Once you have finished the above test, we can discuss some possibilities.

On the matter of the blackstrap molasses, my recollection is that you told me that the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses included blackstrap molasses. I think that you got that from someone at Golden Barrel. You might recall that I was told by Oscar at Golden Barrel that there was no blackstrap molasses until he recanted once I told him what you were told and what is shown in their Nutrition Facts ingredients statement.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:53:30 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1042 on: January 18, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »
 Peter,

Reply#1024, Norma confirms my purchased "medium" dough ball weight of 13.3..You mentioned a couple replies ago that it was her "gram" weight that was not jiving.

So, my MM shop has confirmed that they get their dough balls frozen from a commissary. I have purchased a "small" and it weighed 11.1 oz. and I have gotten their "medium" and it weighed 13.3oz.....going to get their "large" size dough ball in a few hours from now.I gotta keep chasing that sign, man!!  :-D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:06:15 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1043 on: January 18, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Peter,

Reply#1024, Norma confirms my purchased "medium" dough ball weight of 13.3..You mentioned a couple replies ago that it was her "gram" weight that was not jiving.

So, my MM shop has confirmed that they get their dough balls frozen from a commissary. I have purchased a "small" and it weighed 11.1 oz. and I have gotten their "medium" and it weighed 13.3oz.....going to get their "large" size dough ball in a few hours from now.I gotta keep chasing that sign, man!!  :-D

Bob,

If you look at my Reply at 1028 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg168043.html#msg168043 you can see that I didnít see the decimal point on my scale last evening.  That was where I made the mistake in giving the numbers.

I will post the pictures of your MM dough ball on my kitchen scale in a few minutes.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1044 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
Norma,

I will leave it up to you on taking a photo of the frozen MM dough ball, if only to nail down that weight. It looks like the Amarillo sign is still moving.

Peter

Peter,

I did tare out the container on the scale, before the frozen dough ball Bob sent me was weighed.  As can be seen it still weighs the same as I posted before.

These are the pictures of the frozen dough ball on my kitchen scale, weighing in ounces and grams.  Hopefully the Amarillo sign soon stops moving.

Should have the results of this recent hydration test tonight.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1045 on: January 18, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1046 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
Norma,

Thank you! I must have done the exact same thing with the decimal point...Ha!! What a rookie I am....and in full light too!

Bob

Amarillo by morning.....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:47:14 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1047 on: January 18, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Norma,

Thank you! I must have done the exact same thing with the decimal point...Ha!! What a rookie I am....and in full light too!

Bob

Amarillo by morning.....

Bob,

Maybe you also didnít see the decimal point.  I should have know better last evening when I weighed your dough balls, but guess I was tired or there wasnít enough light in my kitchen.   :-D

I like the song Amarillo by morning.  I guess we all soon will be there with so many members helping.  It has been a quite a journey.

Thanks for your help!  :)

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1048 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »
Norma,

Wait a minute.....I thought we were all supposed to meet up with Peter in Texarkana??? Who the heck is driv'in the bus, man!
Oh well....Amarillo sounds more romantic.....it's where I'll be....

Bob

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1049 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
I don't mean to 'noid you out dude, but I think the man is onto you.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1050 on: January 18, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
Norma,

Wait a minute.....I thought we were all supposed to meet up with Peter in Texarkana??? Who the heck is driv'in the bus, man!
Oh well....Amarillo sounds more romantic.....it's where I'll be....

Bob

Bob,

I donít think we will ever meet-up with Peter in Texarkana, Amarillo or anywhere else, but he is the driver of the bus.  If you are interested you can see this post at Reply 892.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg163535.html#msg163535  Thelma, is always the driver of the bus and will lead us in the right direction.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1051 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
My hydration tests are finished but I donít think they are complete.  I am going to do the same hydration tests again tonight, to make sure there is nothing wrong with them, since I do have a MM dough ball. The MM clone dough ball did brown the same as the MM dough ball.  They both even taste the same after being baked or dried out.  The weight of the MM dough was 5.89 grams, while the clone MM dough was 6.05 gram.  The MM dough stuck to the bottom of the lid, and broke while trying to remove it,  but I think I removed as much as the other one for the weight.  

I found a appliance bulb in my closet for my stove vent hood, so now I can see and take pictures better.  After watching my toaster oven and seeing how the top and bottom elements can be on at the same time, I would think this might be a good little pizza making oven.  The metal tray even says it is for browning.  

Norma
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:32:28 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: January 18, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1053 on: January 18, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
Norma,

Looking very good there......almost the exact same as my results to the hundredth! Nice lil scale isn't it?
By the way,I also got these same type of results when flattening a 10 gram piece of dough into some 21/2 in. round ramikans and baked them at 350 degrees for 10 min.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:54:34 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1054 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
Norma,

Looking very good there......almost the exact same as mine to the hundredth! Nice lil scale isn't it?

Bob,

It is a very nice little scale.  I did receive my weights today, and when I used them it said pass, so I guess it is weighing well.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1055 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Norma,

Thank you for running the test. That is good news and those are good numbers. The differences are most likely within the margin of error. If you repeat the experiment, you might reverse the two lids and average the two sets of numbers for each skin. But your results, and those of Bob as well, seem to confirm that the hydration values of the real MM dough and our clone MM doughs are about the same--around 50%. So, it looks like we have been on the money for some time. Now, if we can get a correct dough ball weight for the 10" pizza, that would be nice.

On the matter of a gluten test for you to consider, this afternoon I retrieved the MM clone dough that I had planned to discard and conducted a simple gluten test. I arbitrarily took a 5-ounce sample of the dough and washed it under a continuous stream of cold water. To be sure that I didn't lose any of the sample, I washed it over a flour sifting screen that I had placed over a container to collect the water. The screen was used to catch any of the gluten that might slip through my fingers (as it turned out, I was able to keep all of the gluten in my hands). I kneaded the dough under the cold stream of water and squeezed it as hard as I could to be sure that everything but the gluten was washed away. At the beginning, the liquids were white (from the starch in the dough) but after about 10 minutes, the water ran clear. What remained was a somewhat rubbery gluten mass. It was mushy and a light brown in color. Whether that is the natural color of gluten or colored by the molasses, I have no idea.

I dried the gluten mass on some paper towels (being careful so that the gluten wouldn't stick to the paper towels) for about a minute and then weighed it. The original piece of dough was about 142 grams; the gluten mass was around 53 grams. The percent of wet gluten was thus a bit over 37%. That seems to be in the ballpark for bread flour, although there can be differences from one flour lot to another and from one wheat cultivar to another. As the gluten mass dried more, the percent dropped by another couple percent. I know that this isn't the ideal test, given that the dough also contained yeast, salt, oil and molasses, but if one does a comparative test with two doughs with the same ingredients, the relative numbers should be instructive. Remember, also, that my dough ball had vital wheat gluten as well as the King Arthur bread flour. So, your test should be better than mine.

The above test was very easy to perform. So, if you are able to conduct similar tests on a sample of the MM dough and a like sample (by weight) of your MM clone dough, we might be able to compare the weights of the two gluten masses to determine whether MM is using a flour with a higher or lower protein content than the high-gluten flour that you used to make your MM clone dough. Was it KASL? If this test works, then it might be possible to conduct another gluten test (a baking test) to confirm the results of the first gluten test.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1056 on: January 18, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
I like the song Amarillo by morning.  I guess we all soon will be there with so many members helping.

Norma,

I'll believe it when I see it. This George Jones song may be predictive:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRawHk2BckU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRawHk2BckU</a>

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1057 on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
Norma,

The U.S.Mint says a nickel weighs exactly 5 grams....toss one up on there and see what you get!  ;)

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1058 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Peter,

This is the  frozen small MM dough ball I've referred to that was purchased Sunday night along with the small plain cheese pizza I bought.

Bob

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1059 on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
Bob,

I can't tell for sure from the photo but is the frozen dough ball whole or is there a piece that was taken out of it?

Peter

pizzapan