Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 170257 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1180 on: January 23, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
Norma,

Another metric that I didn't mention, which is also based on my assumptions, is that the average price of the MM pizzas according to my two main scenarios are $16.63 and $16.16. I don't know if those are credible numbers. The two biggest complaints that I have read about MM, even by reviewers whose meals are presumably reimbursed by their employers, are the long wait time to get the pizzas to the table from the time of order and the high pizza prices. Of course, many people buy munchies, salads and drinks, so the final tab can run quite high.

I also calculated that at my full retail price for the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup, my cost for the Steen's for a 10" pizza is around 20 cents. For the 14" size, it is around 33 cents and for the 16" size, it is around 44 cents. With MM's purchasing power, you can only imagine how much less their molasses costs are on a per pizza basis.

Peter

Peter,

I also can imagine how much less molasses is with MMís purchasing power.  Almost anything that is purchased in a big amount is a lot cheaper.  As always, nice detective work in finding out how much molasses MM might use weekly!

Randy, my friend at market, recently told me of a discount store not to far away from me that I can get a much bigger container of the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses for almost the same price as I paid for the smaller container.  I never priced how much the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses would cost from Golden Barrel directly.  I havenít calculated how much the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses costs me for each dough ball I make.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1181 on: January 23, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
I wasnít sure what to do with the one MM dough ball that was in the freezer for Tuesday.  I removed the MM dough ball from the freezer this morning and placed it into my refrigerator.  Because it was so flat, when I went to market today it was almost defrosted.  I did a reball on the MM dough ball and coated it with cornmeal.  Hopefully, what I did will be okay. :-\

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1182 on: January 23, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1183 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
The Crosby Fancy Molasses is available at my local supermarket, so I will purchase and use that.   :chef:  I will let you know when I get it, and then maybe someone could suggest something I could do that would contribute to the efforts here.  thanks!

CDNpielover,

When you get the Crosby Fancy Molasses, would you mind giving me the Nutrition Facts from the label on the molasses jar? That should allow me to customize the MM clone dough formulation I plan to come up with to your particular molasses product and its specific Nutrition Facts. Also, is there a particular pizza size you want to make, and what kind or brand of flour do you plan to use? If you know the protein content of the flour, that will also help. If you don't know that, maybe you can tell me what the Nutrition Facts are for the flour.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1184 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Since Chicago Bob recently told us that a small MM dough ball weighs around 11.20 ounces, instead of the 12-ounce value that had been told to me some time ago, and that I had been using until just recently, I revisited Reply 871 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg163172/topicseen.html#msg163172, where I had discussed which common (and some uncommon) oils seemed to satisfy both the FDA regulations and the MM Nutrition Facts. I wanted to see if any of my conclusions as stated in Reply 871 changed. Based on my most recent analysis of the MM clone dough in relation to the 11.20-ounce dough ball weight, the answer is yes. Now, soybean oil passes both tests. That is the only change. Corn oil and olive oil also still pass both tests.

If I had to guess, MM is using soybean oil. There is no marketing advantage to touting corn oil (it just doesn't seem to fit the image of the MM style of pizza) and since MM has not touted the health benefits of olive oil, that effectively leaves soybean oil. And, no one touts health benefits of soybean oil. It is just a good, cheap oil and, by far, is the most commonly used oil in chain pizza doughs.

As far as our members are concerned, and as I previously mentioned, I think that just about any oil can be used. There isn't enough of it to be detectable in the finished crust.

Peter

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #1185 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
I tried my first MM pizza last night.  I did not detect any sweetness in the crust.  It was the "house special" pretty heavy on toppings.  I do have my .01 x g scale, or is it a g x .01 scale (whatever)  but the the leftover 1/2 pizza is a day old.  I am going to add to this in time but wanted a post holder in case...

I think this location is using a different oven than what they previously had. More later. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1186 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
CDNpielover,

When you get the Crosby Fancy Molasses, would you mind giving me the Nutrition Facts from the label on the molasses jar? That should allow me to customize the MM clone dough formulation I plan to come up with to your particular molasses product and its specific Nutrition Facts.

Dear Peter,

I went to the supermarket this evening and bought some Crosby's Fancy Molasses.  Here are the nutrition facts from the label on the jar:

Nutrition Facts
Serving size 1 tbsp (20 g)
Calories 60
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Potassium 190 mg
Carbohydrate 16 g
-Fibre 0 g
-Sugars 13 g
Protein 0.2 g
Vitamin A (0 % daily recommended value)
Vitamin C (0%)
Calcium (2%)
Iron (4%)
Magnesium (4%)

Also, is there a particular pizza size you want to make

Yes, I would like to make a 15" pizza as I have a pan this size.  It is a flat-ish pan (no "sides") and i would like to cook on it if possible, unless you recommend otherwise.  If not, I would like to make a 14" pizza as this will fit better on my stone.

what kind or brand of flour do you plan to use? If you know the protein content of the flour, that will also help. If you don't know that, maybe you can tell me what the Nutrition Facts are for the flour.

I have here "Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour - Homestyle White."  The nurtrition facts are listed at http://robinhood.ca/product-details.aspx?pid=189&prodcid=44.  I am not sure if there is a special method for calculating the protein, but it lists 4 g protein in 30 g flour, or 13.3% protein.

I would like to make this pie this weekend if possible, but I am not sure how long the proofing takes, and if you woudl want me to freeze it first, etc.  thanks!!!   :chef: :pizza:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:04:41 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1187 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
I used the same procedures to make a clone MM dough ball, like I used before, by mixing the dough, then freezing, and defrosting a day before making the MM clone pizza.  The baked clone MM pizza turned out about the same as always, except it wanted to brown a little more on the bottom of the pizza.  I donít know why it wanted to brown more on the bottom of the pizza.

Pictures of clone MM pizza making process from yesterday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1189 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1190 on: January 25, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1191 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1192 on: January 25, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »
I donít know if I made the right decision to reball the MM dough ball.  The dough ball was hard to open, and I even tore the skin in a few places. I did patch those tears by pinching the dough together. The MM skin was very elastic.  I couldnít get the skin opened evenly.  There were a few spots in the middle that were thicker than other places. The MM dough did bake well though, but it wanted to brown a little more on the bottom too.  I donít know if the age of the MM dough ball, or the reball, or the second refreeze had anything to do with the taste of the final crumb, but my taste testers, Steve, and I preferred the taste of the MM clone pizzas.  Steve also brought his MM clone dough ball yesterday to be baked into a pizza.

We smelled the MM skin while I was opening it and it really smelled like molasses.

Pictures of MM pizza making process from yesterday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1193 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1194 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1195 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1196 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1197 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1198 on: January 25, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1199 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »
Norma

pizzapan