Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 150065 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1200 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1202 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1203 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
I went to the supermarket this evening and bought some Crosby's Fancy Molasses.  Here are the nutrition facts from the label on the jar:

Nutrition Facts
Serving size 1 tbsp (20 g)
Calories 60
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Potassium 190 mg
Carbohydrate 16 g
-Fibre 0 g
-Sugars 13 g
Protein 0.2 g
Vitamin A (0 % daily recommended value)
Vitamin C (0%)
Calcium (2%)
Iron (4%)
Magnesium (4%)

CDNpielover,

Thank you very much for the Nutrition Facts you posted.

Yesterday, as I was awaiting a reply from you and as I was pondering what kind of MM clone dough formulation to create for you using the Crosby Fancy molasses, I decided to study the Crosby Fancy molasses pdf document for which you provided a link. After looking at that document, I concluded that the ranges of the values for the numbers I was looking for were too wide to be useful for my purposes. So, I then decided to do some online searching for Nutrition Facts for the Crosby Fancy molasses. I was looking for the type of informantion that one would normally find on the label of a bottle of that product. When that search turned up conflicting information, I decided to call Crosby, in St. John, NB (at 506-639-7515). There, I spoke with a very nice lady who answered some of my questions but when I stumped her with some of my other questions, she referred me to another nice lady in their laboratory. She was on the top of her game and was able to answer all of my questions. When I told her that I was getting conflicting information on the Crosby Fancy molasses, she told me that the Nutrition Facts change from time to time. She said that since they are not permitted to do their own laboratory analysis of their products (apparently under Canadian law), they send their products to outside certified labs for the testing. And, whatever the labs come up with for the analysis is what goes on the labels of their products. Apparently, this is something that happens about twice a year.

The information that I was given on the Crosby Fancy molasses is the same as you provided. But, I was also able to get information on the breakdown of the product by sugar forms (50% sucrose and 50% invertase that breaks down to 50/50 sucrose and fructose), the amount of water in the product (20%), and the Brix value (80). I was also given the percent (73%) sugars. The Crosby Fancy label says 13 grams for sugars, but it appears more accurately to be 12.7 grams (per 20-gram tablespoon). That is the number I want. For comparison purposes, the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup is 14.3 grams sugars per 21-gram tablespoon. When I asked her where the sugar cane came from for their products, she said Guatemala.

Overall, I would say that the Crosby Fancy molasses is most like the Grandma's Original molasses as is sold in the U.S. Both products are first boil (the only boil). I asked whether the Crosby Fancy molasses was 100% pure cane syrup (as is the Steen's product) and she said yes. What all this means from a practical standpoint is that it may take more of the Crosby Fancy molasses to achieve the same sweetness profile as the Steen's product, and what I believe MM tries to achieve based on their Nutrition Facts. Using more of the Crosby molasses is likely to translate into a dough and finished crust and crumb that are somewhat darker than what one would get with the Steen's product. However, that is not necessarily bad. The Crosby Fancy molasses should have more flavor than the Steen's product.

For your purposes, at least for now, I suggest that you go with a 14" pizza and use your pizza stone. And I would go with a frozen dough. If it turns out that you like the pizza, you can always consider a version of the dough for your 15" pan even though I have my doubts about using such a pan for the MM style of pizza, which benefits from the burst of high heat imparted by a preheated stone to the dressed pizza when it hits the stone. That is very hard to achieve with a pan in a typical home oven. You would perhaps do better with a pizza screen.

Once I have done the number crunching for the Crosby Fancy molasses, I should be able to come up with an MM clone dough formulation for you to try. I'd like to keep the dough from turning too dark, which may mean using less of it than my numbers may suggest, so I may lower the amount of salt so that it doesn't mute some of the sweetness of the molasses. I think we should be fine with the Robin Hood flour and the protein content you mentioned for that flour. As previously noted, I am speculating that MM may be using a high-protein flour on the low end of the protein range. The Robin Hood flour is not far off from that value.

I think I should have something for you to look at by the end of the day.

Peter

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1204 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
Concerning Normas' bake yesterday, out of all the pies baked, for whatever the reason, the real MM dough was my least favorite. Although it had the strongest molasses aroma before baking, it had the least molasses flavor. Also, it had a gummy texture and a taste that I can only describe as "fatty".
 I also brought a dough ball along that had been cold fermenting for 5 days and them room temp at market for at least six hours.The dough had almost tripled in size during the cold ferment and almost doubled again during the room temp! The dough opened nicely but I had some issues with the skin sticking to the peel. That surprised me, given the low hydration of the dough. In the future, I'll be dusting the peel with rice flour instead of cornmeal, as usual, authenticity be damned! >:D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1205 on: January 25, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
I think I should have something for you to look at by the end of the day.

CDNpielover,

I have set forth below a test MM clone dough formulation for you to try using the Crosby Fancy Molasses and the Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour. That formulation is for a 14" pizza to be baked on your pizza stone. I also decided at the last minute to give you a second MM test clone formulation for the 15" size in the event you want to make both versions and compare the results, one using the pizza stone and the other using your 15" pan. For the 15" version, I used the generic thickness value of 0.13336 since the 15" size is not a size that MM makes (MM uses three different thickness factors for the three pizza sizes it makes). For both dough formulations, I used a bowl residue compensation of 1.5% to compensate for minor dough losses during the preparation of the doughs. The final dough ball weight you want for the 14" pizza is 19 ounces and for the 15" size it is 23.57 ounces. So, if the dough ball weighs are more than those values, you will want to trim the weights back to those values. As I mentioned earlier, I decided to lower the amount of salt so that you retain more of the sweetness of the molasses in the finished crust. In the process, I tried to balance the amount of molasses and the color achieved in the dough with that amount of molasses, hoping that it would be close to what MM achieves. I also adjusted the volume measurements produced by the expanded dough calculating tool (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html) for the molasses to reflect the correct values for the Crosby Fancy Molasses (the differences are actually quite small).

Test MM Clone Dough Formulation Using Crosby Fancy Molasses and Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour for 14" Pizza
Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour (100%):
Spring Water (51%):
IDY (0.70%):
Salt (1.50%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.6%):
Crosby Fancy Molasses (13%):
Total (168.8%):
323.89 g  |  11.42 oz | 0.71 lbs
165.18 g  |  5.83 oz | 0.36 lbs
2.27 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
4.86 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
8.42 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.85 tsp | 0.62 tbsp
42.11 g | 1.49 oz | 0.09 lbs | 6.32 tsp l 2.11 tbsp
546.73 g | 19.29 oz | 1.21 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough is for a single 14" pizza; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

Test MM Clone Dough Formulation Using Crosby Fancy Molasses and Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour for a 15" Pizza
Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour (100%):
Spring Water (51%):
IDY (0.70%):
Salt (1.50%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.6%):
Crosby Fancy Molasses (13%):
Total (168.8%):
401.74 g  |  14.17 oz | 0.89 lbs
204.89 g  |  7.23 oz | 0.45 lbs
2.81 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.93 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
6.03 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.08 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
10.45 g | 0.37 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.3 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
52.23 g | 1.84 oz | 0.12 lbs | 7.84 tsp | 2.61 tbsp
678.14 g | 23.92 oz | 1.5 lbs | TF = 0.1353604
Note: Dough is for a single 15" pizza; nominal thickness factor = 0.13336; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

I ran the numbers on the test MM clone formulation for the 14" pizza and the total water content of the dough should be close to 40%. The "adjusted" hydration that takes into account the water content of the Crosby Fancy Molasses should be about 53.6%, and the "effective" hydration that also takes into account the soybean oil should be around 56.2%. The corresponding numbers for the test MM dough for the 15" pizza should be fairly similar.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1206 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »
Concerning Normas' bake yesterday, out of all the pies baked, for whatever the reason, the real MM dough was my least favorite. Although it had the strongest molasses aroma before baking, it had the least molasses flavor. Also, it had a gummy texture and a taste that I can only describe as "fatty".
 I also brought a dough ball along that had been cold fermenting for 5 days and them room temp at market for at least six hours.The dough had almost tripled in size during the cold ferment and almost doubled again during the room temp! The dough opened nicely but I had some issues with the skin sticking to the peel. That surprised me, given the low hydration of the dough. In the future, I'll be dusting the peel with rice flour instead of cornmeal, as usual, authenticity be damned! >:D

Steve,

I thought your MM clone pizza tasted the best of the day.  :) Maybe it was your long ferment that made it taste better.  There seemed to be a more complex sweetness in the crust.  Either it was that or I ate to many slices of MM pizzas yesterday.   :-D

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1207 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
Dear Peter,

WOW - thanks A TON for all of the excellent work you have put into the formulation for the Crosby's molasses I found at the supermarket!  I really appreciate it!  Thanks also for giving the formulation for two different sized pies - I will definitely try them both.

I want to try these ASAP, but I don't recall seeing any proofing or freezing instructions in the thread (although I think Norma mentioned that she lets it defrost for 24 hours before cooking).  If anyone can point me towards that information, that would be great!

Thanks again Peter, Norma, and everyone else for all of their hard work here!   :chef: :pizza:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1208 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
I want to try these ASAP, but I don't recall seeing any proofing or freezing instructions in the thread (although I think Norma mentioned that she lets it defrost for 24 hours before cooking).  If anyone can point me towards that information, that would be great!

CDNpielover,

I can't speak for Norma and the others but I can tell you my protocol for making the MM clone dough balls. It is quite simple and easy to implement.

In my case, I use my food processor to prepare the dough because I have been making only 10" MM clone pizzas and the amount of dough for that size pizza is too small for my KitchenAid stand mixer. Even then, I have to use some hand kneading to bring the dough together and form a smooth and cohesive dough ball. At that point, the dough ball can be frozen. It usually takes several hours for the dough to be completely frozen, and maybe there is a little bit of fermentation activity until the dough ball completely freezes, but once that happens, all fermentation activity ceases.

Once frozen, the dough ball can be used within 24-72 hours. I allow the frozen dough ball to defrost in the refrigerator compartment of my refrigerator for about 24 hours before I plan to use the dough. But I have also used 48 hours of defrosting of the dough, which allows the dough to ferment longer and develop more byproducts of fermentation that contribute to the taste, flavor, color and texture of the finished crust. Once the defrosted dough ball is brought out to room temperature, I allow for about 1 1/2-2 hours of tempering. That time might be shorter or longer, depending on the room temperature. As best I can tell, MM stores allow the dough to defrost for about one or two days before using. I assume that they move the dough balls from their freezers to their coolers to defrost. Three days will also work, but the dough is likely to have more fermentation than desired and result in a finished crust that is lighter than normal and maybe with some large bubbles in the crust. I tend to doubt that MM is using three days of fermentation, even if that produces better overall results, but that is just my suspicion. For the sake of uniformity, consistency and quality control purposes, MM's policies and manuals may not allow more than two days of defrosting before using. Actually, a three day old dough can produce very nice results. However, since my objective from the start has been to emulate MM's practices, I have not tried to push the envelope on fermentation. Steve (Ev) has done so, however, with very good results. His most recent MM clone doughs have not even been frozen. Rather, they have been cold fermented in his refrigerator for the entire time.

Although the MM dough balls are stiff and dense, because of the low hydration used, they are very easy to work with in my opinion, or maybe it seems that way since I have made so many of them. The method that I use is the one shown in the video that Norma took when she visited the MM Washington, DC location. That video is at
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYQBaOypfw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYQBaOypfw</a>

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1209 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
I donít know if I made the right decision to reball the MM dough ball.  The dough ball was hard to open, and I even tore the skin in a few places. I did patch those tears by pinching the dough together. The MM skin was very elastic.  I couldnít get the skin opened evenly.  There were a few spots in the middle that were thicker than other places. The MM dough did bake well though, but it wanted to brown a little more on the bottom too.  I donít know if the age of the MM dough ball, or the reball, or the second refreeze had anything to do with the taste of the final crumb, but my taste testers, Steve, and I preferred the taste of the MM clone pizzas.  Steve also brought his MM clone dough ball yesterday to be baked into a pizza.

We smelled the MM skin while I was opening it and it really smelled like molasses.

Norma,

I was curious to see how the defrosted MM dough ball would work out. In light of everything that happened to that dough ball from the time that Bob sent it to you and you used it, it is quite likely that it was so changed as to make it perform poorly. The fairer test would be to compare an MM dough at the same stage as one of your MM clone doughs. Unfortunately, you are not in a position to be able to do such a comparison.

One thing I also noted is that the MM dough and crust seemed to be lighter in color than your MM clone dough. Other than that, I might have had trouble telling which pizza was which from the photos of the finished pizzas.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1210 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

CDNpielover,

To add to Peterís post, the way I normally make a clone MM dough is to mix the oil, water, and molasses together in one container, add the yeast and salt on each side of the weighed flour in another plastic container.  First I dump the mixture of oil, water, and molasses in my Kitchen Aid, then dump the mixture of flour, salt, and IDY into the mixture.  My Kitchen Aid mixer can mix the dough okay for a 14Ē pizza.  I always use speed 1.  I do use a metal spoon or dough scraper to get any extra flour that might stick to the edges of the mixing bowl mixed into the ingredients well.  After the dough is fairly well mixed, I take the container that had the water, oil, and molasses in and also take the dough out of the mixer to make sure I incorporate any residue that might be left in the container.  This whole mix only takes about 6 minutes altogether for me. 

I then let the dough ball sit out for 20 minutes to Ĺ hr. to get the fermentaion process started before I freeze the dough.  The dough ball is rolled in cornmeal first before putting it into a plastic container.  I then put the dough ball into my freezer that doesnít defrost, unless I defrost it manually.  The dough ball is taken out about 24 hrs. and placed into a refrigerator before being used.  It can be longer or a shorter time and the MM clone doughs always seem to perform well.  I have even used frozen dough balls again, after more than a day after starting to defrost, then frozen again, and they even worked out fine.

The MM clone doughs are very easy to handle because of the low hydration.  I do put the dough ball into a cornmeal mixture before opening and also some cornmeal on the bench when opening the dough ball.  I also put cornmeal on the peel before placing the skin on the peel

Good luck making a clone MM pizza.  Hope you also enjoy them.  :)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1211 on: January 25, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
Norma,

I was curious to see how the defrosted MM dough ball would work out. In light of everything that happened to that dough ball from the time that Bob sent it to you and you used it, it is quite likely that it was so changed as to make it perform poorly. The fairer test would be to compare an MM dough at the same stage as one of your MM clone doughs. Unfortunately, you are not in a position to be able to do such a comparison.

One thing I also noted is that the MM dough and crust seemed to be lighter in color than your MM clone dough. Other than that, I might have had trouble telling which pizza was which from the photos of the finished pizzas.

Peter

Peter,

I can understand that from the time Bob sent me the dough balls probably a lot of things had changed them before I used them to make the pizzas.  I think I did the wrong thing of reballing.  I think I mentioned in the past test, (I did with my part of the clone MM dough ball and the other leftover part of Bobís MM dough ball) I have trouble opening up the small pizzas.  I had thought at that time it was the small dough balls, but now think the reball had something to do with me having a harder time opening the both dough balls at home and the one at market yesterday.  I canít go back, but think I would have just tried to open Bobís MM dough ball without a reball. 

The MM dough and crust are lighter in color than my MM clone dough.  At least both MM dough balls did make good pizzas.

Norma

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1212 on: January 25, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg169154.html#msg169154

A continuation from earlier...
The reason I said that the ovens may be different than ovens they had previously, is because I gave the guy running the oven a hard time as I left.  This oven said " Montague Hearth Bake".  I watched them bake pizzas for about an hour, and it was very slow (customer wise)  Like I said the pizza I had was heavily topped, and very close to underbaked out in the center.  All of the bottom looked fine as did the top.  The oven floor seemed to be running hot because several times the guy and girl running the oven would reach for a screen about 6 minutes into the bake.

So as I left, I said to the oven guy "how is the oven running, ok, or a little hot ?"
him: "the oven is running perfectly"
me :"really"
him:"yes, alot better than the old ones"
me :"it looked a little on the hot side"
him:"no, pretty much perfect"
me :"then why are you checking the bottoms so often, and having to use screens ?"
him : silence

The bake times ranged between 7 and 11 minutes.  Again, no sweetness was detected.  Nor was any molasses or earthy sweet smell. (I almost could contribute this to the toppings.
 The store is located about 300 miles east of the comissary in ATL.

>>  Sorry, Peter I meant to thank you for your gracious, thoughful and educated reply.  I will let you know why I asked that question, hopefully soon. Thanks Peter.  <<

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg168915.html#msg168915

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:51:03 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1213 on: January 25, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
I have been reading a lot of Yelp reviews recently of MM stores to see how diners perceive the pizzas and especially the crusts. I have been collecting many of the descriptions of the MM crusts. I am always interested in knowing how ordinary diners who know little or nothing about pizza dough characterize the end products.

On the matter of sweetness, which Gene mentioned, diners have variously characterized the MM crusts as sweet, slightly sweet, a bit of sweetness, and, on the other end of the spectum, packed with sugar. A few--and only a few--detected the molasses, although servers often mention it to diners. The most common error was to attribute the sweetness to honey, with references to honey, honey wheat, and wholewheat dough with honey. Saltiness was rarely mentioned and, when it was, it was only that the crust was slightly salty. Other terms used to describe the flavor of the crust were yeasty and buttery. Oddly, one diner described the crust as flaky. One diner said that the crust tasted like pretzels. Many of the diners got the flour wrong. Their guesses were honeywheat, whole grain, whole wheat, wheat dough and wheaty. One person mentioned wheat germ, and another mentioned high-gluten flour. Several casually mentioned the spring water but without attributing any benefits to it. Only two persons detected cornmeal.  

The term most often used to describe the crusts was chewy. Other descriptions were soft, crispy, crispy-pillowy, pillowy, chewy without being rubbery, doughy, doughy without being gummy, moist, rigid, foldable, floppy, thin bottom with thick border, hearty, like a European bread, dense and chewy, and crunchy but still chewy. In terms of style, most people do not know what it is but that it is unique and different than anything they have had before. Some of the diners have referred to the MM style as NY style and one person identified the style as "American". Curiously, one person characterized the MM style as Neapolitan and another said that the dough was a sourdough.

There was little doubt from the Yelp reviews that pizza is the main attraction at the MM stores, with the crust being the star of the show. There was little said on a positive note about the sauce or the cheese. Calzones received a lot of acclaim. Apparently, they are enormous. Of course, beers are a big attraction. It also appears that a large percent of the diners order the MM Specialty pizzas.

In terms of ordering patterns, the small pizzas tend to be favored by singles, light eaters, dieters and the thrifty. The medium size pizzas seem to be popular among couples, and the large pizzas tend to be popular among groups, including parents with children. There is also a fair amount of mixing of pizza sizes. I was somewhat surprised how popular the small pizzas are. They are often ordered in multiples and sometimes they are shared by more than one person, especially if appetizers or salads and the like are also ordered. The pretzels are also very popular.

As previously mentioned, the main complaints are with long delays in getting pizzas delivered to the tables and the high prices. Poor service in general is also frequently mentioned, with long waits to get seated (people are often completely ignored for long periods), to get drinks ordered and delivered, mistakes in orders, servers that seem to disappear, and slowness in getting the check.

I find it amusing how MM has been able to take a basic dough using spring water, molasses and white flour and make it sound healthy and wholesome and get diners to pay up for it.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:35:47 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1214 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
OK so I just made a dough ball using Pete's formulation for a 14" pie using Crosby's Fancy Molasses and Robin Hood Best for Bread flour (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg169280.html#msg169280).  I added water, oil, and molasses to the same container (tareing after adding each ingredient), and whisked these to combine.  In a separate bowl, I combined sifted flour, IDY, and salt, and again whisked to combine.  I added the wet followed by dry ingredients to my bread maker, and kneaded for about 10 minutes or so.  After this, I removed the dough and hand kneaded a bit to form a nice ball.  The molasses imparts a wonderful smell and beautiful caramel colour to the dough.

I am apparently out of cornmeal, so I sprayed a very light coating of oil on the top and bottom of the ball, and placed it in a gallon zipper-style bag in the freezer.  I will leave this in the freezer for 2 or 3 days and the fridge for 1 day, so I will make this pie on Saturday or Sunday night.  I will let you all know how it goes!

Thank you to everyone for all of their help!!!   :chef: :pizza:

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1215 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »
Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. Don't forget the crust coating after the bake. Take pictures!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #1216 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
what is the crust coating?

also, what times and temps are you all baking at?  is there any idea how much cheese MM is putting on their pizzas?  I grew up in the midwest and tend to go very heavy on the cheese ( :-D ), but i'd like to have something more similar to what you get at MM.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1217 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
what is the crust coating?

also, what times and temps are you all baking at?  is there any idea how much cheese MM is putting on their pizzas?  I grew up in the midwest and tend to go very heavy on the cheese ( :-D ), but i'd like to have something more similar to what you get at MM.

CDNpielover,

The crust coatings are melted butter with garlic powder added, that are brushed on the rim of the pizza right after it is baked.  Then you sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the rim.  Maybe other members also might tell you what temperatures to bake your pie, but I have used temperatures in my deck oven about 525 degrees F and also a little over 500 degrees F in my home oven. You will need to watch the bottom crust of your pie to make sure it doesnít brown too much.  If you look at some of the last pictures I posted at Reply 1199 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg169250.html#msg169250 it can give you an idea of how the rim looks with the melted butter with garlic powder brushed on.  It also can be seen what the Parmesan cheese looks like on the rim.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1218 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Mix a little garlic powder with some melted butter and brush it on the rim after baking, then sprinkle that with parmesan cheese.

I'm an extra cheese kind of guy myself, so just use what you like.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1219 on: January 26, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Norma types a bit faster than I! :-D

pizzapan