Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 144879 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1780 on: July 15, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Signus,

Good to hear you already had the Grandmaís Original Molasses at home. 

My tomato sauce at market almost tastes like MM sauce, but I am not sure what MM uses.  I think their sauce is Escalon with basil and might be a paste, like my tomato sauce is a paste that I use for market. 

I have found that Great Value tomato sauce and Great Value Tomato paste in combination also works well.  I did a post to compare the results of using those two tomato products from Walmart at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.msg85554.html#msg85554  I use a much simpler method to make the sauce now, by adding the crushed garlic and herbs to olive oil, then microwaving in short amounts of time of about 1 minute, 30 seconds, 30 seconds. Be careful not to microwave too long because of the oil in a microwave.  Add a little more Italian herbs, oregano, tiny amount of red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of sugar, a tiny amount of Kosher salt, some Parmesan cheese, and water to unthicken if needed, which it probably will need.  I donít add the red onion anymore.  There is no cooking of this sauce.  It is left in the fridge for one day to develop the flavors.   I donít use both commercial tomato products now, like I did in that above post for market.  I only use the tomato product that is a paste.

I am not posting this to get you to try it, just for another option for you for a tomato sauce.  If you decide to play around with the Great Value tomato sauce and Great Value Tomato Paste, you might like different amounts of the spices for your palate.   

Member November also has a very nice pizza sauce if you are interested, but it does take many spices and I think you would have to use a Classico product.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1781 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
My tomato sauce at market almost tastes like MM sauce, but I am not sure what MM uses.  I think their sauce is Escalon with basil and might be a paste......

Norma,

One of our members reported on what MM is using for its pizza sauce in Reply 1728 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg194580.html#msg194580.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1782 on: July 15, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
Norma,

One of our members reported on what MM is using for its pizza sauce in Reply 1728 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg194580.html#msg194580.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for posting a link to Woodyís post.  I put Woodyís post in the back of my mind and didnít recall it when I was posting.  I donít know about you, but would think that Great Value tomato sauce and Great Value paste would compare somewhat the same to 6-in1 Crushed Tomatoes in Heavy Puree and Escalon Bonta Pizza Sauce with a few added spices.  Maybe that is just me though.  I donít want to try and push someone in the wrong directions in trying to make a MM sauce if they canĎt purchase the right sauces from Escalon. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1783 on: July 15, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Norma,

When I came up with my Papa John's clone pizza sauces, I tried out the Wal-Mart Great Value tomatoes. In my opinion, they weren't as good as the Escalon 6-in-1s or the Stanislaus Tomato Magic fresh-pack tomatoes that I also tried but they would work if one does not have access to the Escalon 6-in-1s or the comparable Tomato Magic tomatoes. Today, I would go with one of the Classico tomato products that are also sold at Wal-Mart and are almost identical to the 6-in-1s. As you know (but Signus may not), the 6-in-1s and the Classico tomatoes are produced by entities that are both owned by Heinz.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:14:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1784 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
Norma,

When I came up with my Papa John's clone pizza sauces, I tried out the Wal-Mart Great Value tomatoes. In my opinion, they weren't as good as the Escalon 6-in-1s or the Stanislaus Tomato Magic fresh-pack tomatoes that I also tried but they would work if one does not have access to the Escalon 6-in-1s or the comparable Tomato Magic tomatoes. Today, I would go with one of the Classico tomato products that are also sold at Wal-Mart and are almost identical to the 6-in-1s. As you know (but Signus may not), the 6-in-1s and the Classico tomatoes are produced by entities that are both owned by Heinz.

Peter

Peter,

I would also go with the Classico tomato product if they can be found, if someone doesnĎt have access to Escalon commercial products.  Maybe Signus might find the Classico tomato products sometime.  You are right that Signus might not know that both products are products that are owned by Heinz.

I was just trying to give Signus an alternative to try if he canít find the Classico products.   

Norma

Offline Zing

« Reply #1785 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
??

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1786 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
??

Zing,

Based on what another member (Woody) reported recently, I believe the product in the photo you posted is the Escalon Bonta Pizza Sauce with Basil: http://www.escalon.net/products/bonta-pizza-sauce.aspx. Some time ago, Mellow Mushroom indicated that there was water in their sauce. Companies like Escalon and Stanislaus, the top two processors of fresh-pack tomatoes, would rather that their customers not dilute their sauces but that is a fairly common practice among pizza operators.

Peter

Offline Signus

« Reply #1787 on: July 18, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
Well, I gave it a go... and well. It was odd.

The pizza itself was quite good. The dough was delicious, but I did not quite get it how I saw in all the pictures. I don't know if maybe I didn't add enough yeast or I didn't open it properly. My crust was not nearly as bulbous as some of the pictures I've seen. Nor was it very sweet, a bit sour if anything, but that wasn't really a problem.

I let one dough rise in the fridge for a day, the other for two and a half days. The longer rise did make the better dough, no real surprise there.

However, I feel like my sauce was really lacking. I had a pretty good sauce recipe that I used for the deep dish, and I used the same brand of sauce and paste for this pizza's sauce. My problem is that... no matter what I do with it, it always comes out tasting strongly of pasta sauce. It's not bad, but it's not the kind of sauce I usually taste on pizza. I'll be shopping around and experimenting from now on.

Anyway, with this out of the way now, I think I'm going to take more time the second time hunting for proper tomatoes and being more specific with my measurements.

Thanks again, as always, guys.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1788 on: July 18, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
??

Zing,

Thanks for providing that photo!  :)

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1789 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
Signus,

Are you heating/cooking your sauce? You say "sauce recipe", you adding a lot of spices? Try this pizza with a pretty plain(just s&p and a'bit of oregano or basil), uncooked sauce and maybe you'll like it better.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1790 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
Well, I gave it a go... and well. It was odd.

The pizza itself was quite good. The dough was delicious, but I did not quite get it how I saw in all the pictures. I don't know if maybe I didn't add enough yeast or I didn't open it properly. My crust was not nearly as bulbous as some of the pictures I've seen. Nor was it very sweet, a bit sour if anything, but that wasn't really a problem.

I let one dough rise in the fridge for a day, the other for two and a half days. The longer rise did make the better dough, no real surprise there.

However, I feel like my sauce was really lacking. I had a pretty good sauce recipe that I used for the deep dish, and I used the same brand of sauce and paste for this pizza's sauce. My problem is that... no matter what I do with it, it always comes out tasting strongly of pasta sauce. It's not bad, but it's not the kind of sauce I usually taste on pizza. I'll be shopping around and experimenting from now on.

Anyway, with this out of the way now, I think I'm going to take more time the second time hunting for proper tomatoes and being more specific with my measurements.

Thanks again, as always, guys.

Signus,

It is good your pizza with the longer fermentation turned out well.  I donít know where the sour taste would come from when molasses is used in the formulation.  Did you have a scale to weigh out the flour, water and molasses?  What brand of flour did you use?  

Maybe you might want to look at the Classico Tomato products.  There are many members that are now using them.  If you look at the Classico Tomato Sauce thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16096.0.html you can see what some members think of the different Classico Tomato products for pizza.  Some of the Classico products are like 6-in-1s, which is a great tomato sauce in my opinion.  

Like Bob posted you don't want to heat or cook the sauce.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1791 on: July 20, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
I saw on facebook this picture of cheese bread at Mellow Mushroom at MM in Jacksonville.  It also said under the picture:  Have you noticed a difference in our cheese bread?! We are now using The French Pantry! Yummy!

I wonder if French Pantry is supplying all MM with their cheese bread and if the Nutrition Facts have now changed for MM cheese bread.  I also am curious how long French Pantry has been supplying MM in Jacksonville with their cheese bread.  I even wonder how MM of Jacksonville can be different in their food products, since MM does seem to control what different products MM locations sell.

French Pantry is located in Jacksonville, Florida.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1792 on: July 20, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »
I sure donít think this will give any additional information, but If anyone wants to follow Mellow Mushroom in Jacksonville, Fl. on Twitter, this is the link

https://twitter.com/MellowJax

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1793 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
I saw on facebook this picture of cheese bread at Mellow Mushroom at MM in Jacksonville.  It also said under the picture:  Have you noticed a difference in our cheese bread?! We are now using The French Pantry! Yummy!

I wonder if French Pantry is supplying all MM with their cheese bread and if the Nutrition Facts have now changed for MM cheese bread.  I also am curious how long French Pantry has been supplying MM in Jacksonville with their cheese bread.  I even wonder how MM of Jacksonville can be different in their food products, since MM does seem to control what different products MM locations sell.

French Pantry is located in Jacksonville, Florida.

Norma,

It is quite common for franchisors to give franchisees some latitude in sourcing products. Otherwise, it could be cost prohibitive to insist that franchisees source certain products only from certain suppliers who may be a great distance away. Franchisors also give franchisees latitude to make changes based on local tastes. For example, a BBQ sauce used by a South Carolina MM franchisee might be different than the one used by an MM franchisee in Texas. MM corporate no doubt has procedures in place for approving the use of local vendors.

I don't know how MM deals with variations in products from a Nutrition Facts standpoint. Some companies hedge by saying that products can vary by location. Another approach is to provide specs to local suppliers to use to be sure that the end product comports with the Nutrition Facts. Or maybe the Nutrition Facts are ignored in some cases or no one has raised the issue.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1794 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
Norma,

It is quite common for franchisors to give franchisees some latitude in sourcing products. Otherwise, it could be cost prohibitive to insist that franchisees source certain products only from certain suppliers who may be a great distance away. Franchisors also give franchisees latitude to make changes based on local tastes. For example, a BBQ sauce used by a South Carolina MM franchisee might be different than the one used by an MM franchisee in Texas. MM corporate no doubt has procedures in place for approving the use of local vendors.

I don't know how MM deals with variations in products from a Nutrition Facts standpoint. Some companies hedge by saying that products can vary by location. Another approach is to provide specs to local suppliers to use to be sure that the end product comports with the Nutrition Facts. Or maybe the Nutrition Facts are ignored in some cases or no one has raised the issue.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for explaining that it is quite common for franchisors to give franchisees some latitude in sourcing products and why that is.  I understand now.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1795 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »
I donít know if MM has now gone mobile or not in Jacksonville.  http://instagram.com/p/NlxcrajHXu/ 

I also see MM can source locally.  http://www.igetmellow.com/post/28061441576/ten-great-reasons-to-support-mellow-avondale

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1796 on: July 28, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »

I also see MM can source locally.  http://www.igetmellow.com/post/28061441576/ten-great-reasons-to-support-mellow-avondale

Norma
Geeez, do you think maybe they could have chosen a 'lil better pizza pic to help out their cause...what were they thinking?!
Pretty neat they have 80 bicycles available to borrow for local shopping though...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1797 on: July 28, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
Geeez, do you think maybe they could have chosen a 'lil better pizza pic to help out their cause...what were they thinking?!
Pretty neat they have 80 bicycles available to borrow for local shopping though...

Bob,

If you have facebook, or other members are interested, there is another picture of the Mellow Mushroom Bake Bus on the link below.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150860225167062.403695.51774897061&type=3http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150860225167062.403695.51774897061&type=3

The picture of the MM Bake Bus is on the left top.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1798 on: July 28, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
I donít know if MM has now gone mobile or not in Jacksonville.  http://instagram.com/p/NlxcrajHXu/  

Sure looks like a consession trailer to me(your second pic)....that.s great!  And ya gotta love the art work, eh?  Outta site!!   8)

Bake Bus
Mellow down easy..... :chef:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:01:03 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1799 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Bob,

Different MM locations do have lots of neat artwork.  I think I saw a picture at that MM location,  (referenced in the link) that you could sit in a bus inside their pizzeria.  8)  That was on their facebook page.

Norma