Author Topic: New members, please introduce yourselves here!  (Read 186243 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: New members, please introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2005, 07:05:04 PM »
That's funny...keep us informed.

Offline davej

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »
hello and thank you for allowing me to join

Offline davej

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2005, 10:59:10 AM »
do you have a recipe for the pizza that i see in on this page?  please it really looks good

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2005, 09:18:04 AM »
This is a great site!  I've been making pizza for years, but have already learned a few new tricks from browsing this forum.  I just "calibrated" my oven so I can bake at 585 deg.  Thanks for that tip!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2005, 09:20:38 AM »
Welcome, Guy!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2005, 01:54:53 PM »
Hi, My name is Frank. I've been a pizza addict for the past....Nevermind.  :)

Beside home made pizza, I enjoy smoke BBQ'ing, inland trout fishing, guitar playing and my 77 mustang cobra show car.  I live in Western New York state and am employed in the R&D field.

Glad to be here and among those that share similar interests.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2005, 07:52:29 PM »
Nice to have you here, Frank!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pizzanovice

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2005, 07:14:11 PM »
Thank you for the Thin Cracker Crust pizza recipe.  It blew my friggin head off.  I wasn't used to a dough that's so dry and I assumed I F**ked up somehow, but it turned out great.

I like those crispy air bubbles in my crust, so I didn't dock the dough.  Eh, okay, so I forgot to dock it, but it turned out tasty for me. 
The thought of rising the dough for a day annoyed me until I tried it.  It's worth the wait.  I tossed enough for a 12 " pie in the freezer for the next pie, although I have a feeling something might be lost if the dough is frozen. 
I meant to pre-cook, but forgot.  It turned out delicious.  The crust was firm enough to hold without folding.  Perfect.  Tomato sauce, Mozzarella and pepperoni.
I didn't cut the excess dough.  I just folded it over and it was tasty.  Ugly looking pie, but so yummy.  I've made some atrocious looking bagels which ended up tasty, too.  I don't care much about the look of it, for as long as I'm mildly intoxicated.  Maybe I shouldn't hit the sauce so hard when I make pizza.  I forgot so many simple details, but who cares.  It tasted good in the end. 
I'll make some sauce next time.  I used some crap that came in a glass container from the supermarket. 

I love this website.  Thanks you all for the great info.

Gonna inhale another slice, if there's one left.

Offline CAM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2005, 02:06:47 AM »
Hi.....my name is CAM.  I happened to stumble upon this site.  I would love to receive Chicago style pizza recipes.  I'm not sure how to navigate through this site.  Any and all help would be appreciated.  Ciao!

pizzafireman

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2005, 09:00:04 AM »
 † I have finally installed the old (used) harvic countertop pizza oven,,,i put a post under equiptment ,,,i have a time/temp ratio question to ask there,,,will take some pics of it in use tonight,,,,giving it a workout with ny dough and sauce,,,my wife is asking if a 400 dollar pizza will taste as good as pizza hut(she still doesnt know about the home depot run) or cost involved in getting all the ingredients.
 † †i told her it will maybe not tonight but someday,,,thanks for the info here and the techs,,,i really probablly would have delved this far into this"Hobby" if it wasnt for you guys here,,,,,im not the only pizza nut so i dont feel as bad,,,ps ive spent hours here reading and have a way better understanding of the obsession/quest,,, i do belive its within reach during my lifetime!!!!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2005, 11:48:50 AM »
I was forced into learning to make pizza when I  moved to Boston. At that time I lived in a house with a bunch of people, and also had a bunch of guys from my band around to experiment on.  It is easy to look like a pizza god when you live around here.
I am so excited to have found this forum, and am looking forward to improving my skills and recipes.  Most of the people born and raised around Boston have never tasted above average pizza.  Because we have such low standards at the pizzarias, I have found that a lot of Italian families around here have a grandmother/uncle/etc. who makes the pizzas for the family.  We definitely have access to the right ingredients.  I have a feeling Boston is the land of the home made pizza.  I have run into six people who bake at home on a regular basis.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »
Welcome to the group Scott  ;D

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2005, 12:28:35 PM »
Hi all.  Glad to be a part of this forum.  i graduated college with a Masters degree in mycology.  I've been a baker for 15 years.  Managed 2 major artisan bakeries in Phila.  Moved back to my hometown to manage a pizza shop for 4 years.  Really enjoyed to artistic freedom that pizza permits.  Currently working on opening my own bakery.  Still learning.  Always willing to share knowledge and recipes.    I do not believe in "secret recipes". 
Barry.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2005, 01:11:18 PM »
Barry,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't wait for you to jump in and help us out with all your intimate knowledge of pizza making and the science behind it. There are a lot of things happening at the forum recently where I am sure you can make a valuable contribution. Alas, there is not much on mushroom pizzas, but maybe you can enlighten us there also :).

Peter

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2005, 07:39:03 AM »
Hi everyone, well after being in the background and reading info on this site I decided to join in and give my two cents....Pizza is a soulful thing to me.† I Live along the the PA and NJ borders and visited the Italian Chambersburg section of Trenton NJ as a young lad with family. We would go for Tomato Pies as they were called at a place called DeLorenzos.† The place was Ma and Pa old world Italy. Chic was the pizza chef, Sophia his wife waited tables, it was their home, living quarters upstairs, family kitchen in the back and booths and COAL pizza oven in the front. Ahhhhh to smell the pies cooking tender crisp light, slightly charred, with tomato sauce (chunky) scattered lighty over, crisp crust with a light drizzle of oil around the edge.† It makes me want to just stay forever. The booths were straight backed wood. And all the walls were adorned with pics of famous actors from hollywood that were there each signed stating how much they enjoyed their Tomato Pies....mmmmmm just amazing.
Anyway can't wait to give my two cents on my homeade pies...I can say mine are pretty amazing as well...will explain in the other forums...see ya all there.... and share a slice....

Offline elshanero

• Just the Beginning...
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2005, 05:48:21 PM »
Hi. I'm Shane from NJ and I just found this site recently and I just made my first pie. I used to live in Hoboken and would eat Grimaldi's a lot. I know may of you think it is no longer good, but I have no problems with it. I was just there yesterday and bothered the owner, Sean Mchugh, for some tips. He is a VERY nice guy and answered every question I had.

Anyway, here are pics of my first attempt (not great but I'll take it for the first try):
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 05:52:07 PM by elshanero »

Offline rodzone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2005, 03:26:33 PM »
Hi.  Rod here.

I'm wondering about what someone would charge for reverse engineering a particular pizza?

This would include:

1.  ingredients for the pizzza
2.  ingredients for the sauce
3.  and the instructions for cooking - preparation, cooking time and method, etc

If you read this and could recommend someone, I would appreciate it?

Regards,
Rod

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
I think I may have committed yet another faux paus.† I'm tardy in this introduction because I wasn't aware it was here.† I didn't mean to be rude by jumping in without introducing myself.

I've been making pizzas for years.† However, many were unexceptional--still pretty good though.† From time to time I would stumble across a very good pizza -- using the same dough recipe I did the time before -- but not be able to reproduce the same results the next time.† I now know I wasn't being consistent or rigorous enough in my measurements & ingredients.

I was also silly to continue to use the same dough recipe time and time again.† Itís a good recipe, but I donít always want the exact same pizza.† So, here Iíve found many recipes for many types of pizzas.† Wonderful!

I wish there were an overview &/or FAQ.† People write books on the subject, so doing either is not a small task.† However, being new to the board, I wondered for the longest time what IDY & ADY were.† I only figured it out from context.† Likewise, whatís a ď6 IN 1?Ē† I know now, but couldínt decipher many posts for a while.† Were an FAQ created, maybe a discussion or link to description of bakerís percentages would be helpful too.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the advice here.† Itís great, and I canít wait to start digging in and experimenting on my own.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 03:33:48 PM by LowRent »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2005, 02:46:13 PM »
LowRent,

An official welcome to the forum :).

Maybe you have already seen it, but in the Lehmann NY style dough thread I provided a rather rigorous analysis of the way baker's percents can be used, at Reply #29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.20.html. You will have to get your calculator out and work through the exercise, but by the time you are done you should have a pretty good idea of what baker's percents are all about. More recently, I did a similar "walk through" for PizzaSuperFreak at Reply #10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1152.0.html.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:50:56 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »
Pete-zza,
Thanks for the welcome and links.  I had not seen those yet, but I will look them over closely tonite.  Thanks again.

pizzapan