Author Topic: Gluten free in a cutter pan - your thoughts on how to cook it  (Read 242 times)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Gluten free in a cutter pan - your thoughts on how to cook it
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
So I made some gluten free dough using FioreGlut and gluten-free starter (plus some extra yeast). 

I've tried a few in the blackstone and they have come out so-so...  The problem with pushing out the dough is that you pretty much destroy any air pockets from fermenting.  The lack of gluten doesn't allow it to rebound like traditional dough.

This time around, I have some dough rolled out and cold-fermenting in a 14-inch non-stick cutter pan. Tomorrow, I'll let it rise at room temperature for 4-6 hours and then I'll bake.

I'm thinking of doing it, it this time, in my home oven.  I have a cordeerite pizza stone and the max oven temp is 500 degrees.

What are your thoughts and suggestions on baking methodology?

1.  Parbake for 6 minutes at 500, top and bake again?
2.  Dress the raw dough and bake at 500 for 12 minutes?

Due to the fragility of the gluten free dough, I'm not sure I can parbake, and remove from the pan and finish baking directly on the stone... but I guess I could try?

Any other thoughts or ideas on time, temp, and stones?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Gluten free in a cutter pan - your thoughts on how to cook it
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
Why not par-bake in the pan, dress and place back into the oven to finish baking in the pan? There might be a point where you will be able to remove the pizza from the pan to allow decking it for a minute or so.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
That's my thought at this point.  Once it cooks it hold together.  It's the raw gluten-free dough that is not very cohesive.  LOL

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »
So I made some gluten free dough using FioreGlut and gluten-free starter (plus some extra yeast). 

I've tried a few in the blackstone and they have come out so-so...  The problem with pushing out the dough is that you pretty much destroy any air pockets from fermenting.  The lack of gluten doesn't allow it to rebound like traditional dough.

This time around, I have some dough rolled out and cold-fermenting in a 14-inch non-stick cutter pan. Tomorrow, I'll let it rise at room temperature for 4-6 hours and then I'll bake.

I'm thinking of doing it, it this time, in my home oven.  I have a cordeerite pizza stone and the max oven temp is 500 degrees.

What are your thoughts and suggestions on baking methodology?

1.  Parbake for 6 minutes at 500, top and bake again?
2.  Dress the raw dough and bake at 500 for 12 minutes?

Due to the fragility of the gluten free dough, I'm not sure I can parbake, and remove from the pan and finish baking directly on the stone... but I guess I could try?

Any other thoughts or ideas on time, temp, and stones?
How much dough you using for this 14in pie Karl?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
I think it's around 450 grams

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Thank you.  :pizza:

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
Karl,

have you tried parchment paper?  You could proof on the parchment and then transfer pizza (with parchment) to the stone with a peel.   It will be almost the same as cooking directly on the stone.  Even though it says not to use over a certain temperature but I used to use on a stone in 550 oven with regular dough.  The paper without dough on it will get really dark and brittle but I never had any catch fire (that might be different in the blackstone). 

Deb
Deb

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Good tip Deb. Many folks that use parchment paper also jerk/snatch the paper out from under the baking pie after an initial first few minutes...perhaps that could give Karl even more control(depending on his oven). 

pizzapan