Author Topic: Tony's flour with milk kefir dough  (Read 398 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tony's flour with milk kefir dough
« on: December 28, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
This morning a dough was mixed with Tony's flour, and the leavening agent for this dough was the milk kefir.  The dough was sticky, so 3 stretch and folds were needed, with rests in-between.  I am going to be trying for a room temperature ferment, but will see what happens.  The milk kefir grains were fed regular milk last evening.

Water 64%, salt 1.75%, olive oil 2%, sugar 2%, milk kefir at 15%.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tony's flour with milk kefir dough
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
Norma

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
Norma.....I've never seen nor used milk kefir although I know you've experimented with it before. Do you have to allow for or consider the moisture in the kefir when figuring total hydration?

And, have you used Tony's flour before and if so your thoughts?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
Norma.....I've never seen nor used milk kefir although I know you've experimented with it before. Do you have to allow for or consider the moisture in the kefir when figuring total hydration?

And, have you used Tony's flour before and if so your thoughts?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Bob,

I didn't allow for the moisture in the kefir, or the milk in kefir.  The milk kefir I used was at the bottom of the glass container.  It was somewhat like yogurt, but a little thinner.  I didn't have the pH meter at home, but thought the kefir might not be as acidic since it didn't sit for a long while to get more acidic.

I have not used Tony's flour before.  I was going to try Tony's flour to replace the flour in the boardwalk style pizza, but I wanted to try the kefir to see what would happen.  I should not have done two experiments at one time, but there is only so much time in a persons life to try things.   :-D

Happy New Year to you too!

Norma

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »
It looks like it is rising well and I spot a couple of surface bubbles as well.  Congrats with the new addition to the family as well.  ;D
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »
It looks like it is rising well and I spot a couple of surface bubbles as well.  Congrats with the new addition to the family as well.  ;D

Warren,

I measured the poppy seed spacings tonight and the poppy seeds didn't move at all.  I will have to wait and see if the kefir leavens the dough.  Thanks for the congrats on the new addition to the family!

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
The kefir dough ball with Tony's flour is fermenting some until this morning.  There are spreckles on top of the dough ball.  I wonder If I should now reball to do something like a bulk ferment, then ball.  :-\ I am a little bit confused on what to do.  The dough ball has been sitting out fermenting at about 71 degrees F.  Where there are uneven places on top of the dough ball are is where I picked off a fuzzy.

Norma
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:30:49 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
I decided to reball the dough ball before I went to market today.  I thought the dough ball might ferment too much at room temperature in another day.  I never know what temperature it will be when I get to market.  Friday it was cold.  Sometimes on Monday's they do turn the heat on for Tuesday's, but sometimes they don't turn the heat on until early Tuesday morning.  It was about 42 degrees F outside today when I went to market.  It can be seen what the temperature was inside market today. 

I took the pH number of the dough ball if anyone is interested.  The dough ball is still room temperature fermenting, at the mercy of market temperatures.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
The first photos of the milk kefir dough ball made with Tony's flour were taken this morning.  The dough ball then went into the prep fridge, because I thought it already had fermented enough.  The dough ball sat out to warm for 3 hrs.  The dough ball opened easily.  I thought the pizza baked well.  The milk kefir pizza made with Tony's flour was very good in my opinion, and my taster testers opinions.  The crust had a very unique taste, which I never tasted something like it before.  I don't really know what made that good unique taste though.  Looking back to how much the dough ball fermented I think it was a good thing that a reball was done.

I think Tony's flour did a good job of browning the rim crust and bottom crust.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
I thought it was kind of odd that the spreckles appeared on top the dough ball, but after the reball they never appeared again.  Can anyone explain why that was?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
Norma

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Norma, the crust color & crumb of your milk kefir pizza looks excellent. I hope you try Tony's flour with your normal formula to see if the difference was from the kefir or the flour (or both?).

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »
That's beautiful Norma! Do you think you might do this on a regular basis or was it just an experiment worthy of future consideration?
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
Norma, the crust color & crumb of your milk kefir pizza looks excellent. I hope you try Tony's flour with your normal formula to see if the difference was from the kefir or the flour (or both?).

Josh,

Thanks for saying that the crust and crumb look good!  I will try Tony's flour with my normal formula to see what happens.  I have no idea what really happened, with all the twists and turns in trying a different formulation, the milk kefir and and Tony's flour.

That's beautiful Norma! Do you think you might do this on a regular basis or was it just an experiment worthy of future consideration?

Thanks Bob!  I don't know how I could do all those steps on a regular basis, and still have a dough that might turn into the same pizza.  I know I will at least try again to see if I can get anywhere near the same results.

Norma

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
Good stuff Norma, love the look of the crumb - what did it taste like? anything noticeable?
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
Good stuff Norma, love the look of the crumb - what did it taste like? anything noticeable?

Warren,

The crust had a different good wheaty taste.  Whether that wheaty taste was from the flour, the reball, or the dough being fermented so much, or something else, I really don't know.

Norma