Author Topic: My Christmas present to myself.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Steveinid

My Christmas present to myself.
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
After keeping an eye on Craigslist for several years I finally saw what I've been looking for. A pizza oven that was seriously under priced. This is a Blodgett 931 that is going into my garage and should be hooked up this weekend. I got it for $650. On Ebay they go for about $2500 to $3000. I will post pictures of it set up and running later.

For now here it is sitting in the trailer waiting to be hooked up. The legs need to go on it too.

(after review this should probably be moved to Chit Chat)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:02:03 PM by Steveinid »

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Christmas present to myself.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »
She's beautiful. How high of a temp can you get on her?

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
The dial goes as high as 650. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it and my poor kitchen oven will be thankful as well. They weren't built to be pizza ovens.  :)

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »
Nice grab indeed!!!
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
Wow. How cool is that!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »
Best xmas present ever - I'm very jealous - can't wait to see some pies from that beauty   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline Stevezilla

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Nice!

Offline Plexiprs

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »
<ENVY=On>

Outstanding buy, and congrats!!! Now I have to start watching eBay and Craig's list....

<ENVY=Off>
You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. --- Yogi

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
Very cool.
Jim

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
Hey we can start our own "Blodgett Garage Club" if you want :)

I've had mine for a few years now and love it.  I converted it from natural gas to propane to make it easier for me.  Not as big as yours but serves us well.  My dial also goes up to 650 but I find the interior gets to 700-750 typically on the lower deck.  It took me a while to dial in the best dough ingredients but find a 50/50 mix of KA bread flour and Caputo 00 works nicely.  Yours may be different.

You can see mine here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38478

Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions!
Chris

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:11:47 PM »
Hey we can start our own "Blodgett Garage Club" if you want :)

I've had mine for a few years now and love it.  I converted it from natural gas to propane to make it easier for me.  Not as big as yours but serves us well.  My dial also goes up to 650 but I find the interior gets to 700-750 typically on the lower deck.  It took me a while to dial in the best dough ingredients but find a 50/50 mix of KA bread flour and Caputo 00 works nicely.  Yours may be different.

You can see mine here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38478

Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions!
Chris
I checked it out... very nice. unfortunately I haven't gotten mine up to speed. I've converted it to propane and it fires up just fine but, It won't get any hotter than 400 degrees. I need to find a manometer so I can check the systems pressure. I'm in no hurry, my kitchen oven has worked fine so I can use it for a while longer.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »
Steveinid or kwtrading, can one of you tell me how much propane you use in your ovens (for an hour or two of cooking).

Do you use a standard BBQ propane tanks or something larger. Maybe taking the Craigslist route and using propane can get me to the size pie I would like to make.

I have NG on my deck but not sure if the line is large enough (diameter) or my deck is large enough to support a pizza oven. Finding a used oven and switching it to propane would work for my garage.
Norm

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:57:45 PM »
I just got my oven working properly. I had to make the orifice hole bigger than it supposed to be. Now it gets up to almost 600 degrees which is fine.

I haven't had it running long enough to see how much gas it is using, but, using science I'll take a stab at it.

The amount of gas you use with your oven depends on the BTU rating. My oven is small and it only burns 27,000 BTU's per hour as per the manufacturers label.

So.... If my understanding of BTU's is correct then we can figure this out for my oven. There are about 91,500 BTU's of energy in a gallon of propane. My oven only uses 27,000 BTU's per hour. so, 91,500/27,000 = 3.4 hours. According to this it will take my oven almost 3 1/2 hours to burn 1 gallon of propane. That is continuous burning.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:16:27 PM by Steveinid »

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
Thanks Steveinid - once you get some time with it I would really like to know if it works out that way - BTW, I'm glad you go it working, 600 degrees is more than enough to make great pizza - looking forward to seeing some of the pies you make with that beauty  :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »
I have noticed that it doesn't burn through the gas as fast as I thought it would originally. That's just a casual observation.

I'm looking forward to making pizzas with it. I'll definitely post some pics.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 03:23:10 AM »
Sorry for not responding any sooner.  Don't get on here very often and guess I wasn't subscribed to the thread to know of replies..

Although I have never tracked exactly how much propane my oven uses, I have run it for hours on a tank and have never once picked up the tank afterwards and thought to myself "Man, I burned through a lot of gas today."  It just doesn't use very much at all.  My guess is I could go at least three full pizza sessions on one tank, possibly more.  I have always had a backup tank ready if using it for a party or something but have never once needed it.  Many times I have pulled the tank off my gas grill to use with an unknown amount of propane in it and also never an issue.

I remember someone in another thread discussing a similar sized Blodgett complaining that it burned too much to be worthwhile.  I disagree.  Filling a tank these days is only around $12 here in CT.  So at worst that is about $4 or so for a session.  Considering what you spend for ingredients, that is nothing!

Steve - glad you got yours going.  It took me a while to get into a rhythm with mine.  The toughest part is not having a window to see what is going on without opening the door!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15:04 AM »
Thanks kwtrading - good to know!
Norm

wordpress