Author Topic: Possibly my prettiest...with pics!  (Read 29496 times)

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Possibly my prettiest...with pics!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 03:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

To answer the questions, pan size is 14" x 2".  The pan is an American Metalcraft hardcoat anodized.  The oven is a standard electric oven.  I cook the pizza on my stone on the bottom rack of the oven.  I heat the oven as hot as mine will go (550*) for an hour but drop the temp to 475* just before the pie goes in.  I posted my recipe some time ago and it didn't seem to get any interest...maybe I should've posted pics with it then.  It's here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3115.0.html and the only changes from that post are that I am using corn oil now instead of vegetable oil and I'm using regular olive oil instead of extra virgin.  I also pat the dough out in the pan without any kneading after the thaw from the fridge.  I received a "Lou to Go" catalog from Malnati's the other day and noticed how thin the side walls of the crust were so when I patted out the crust I pinched up less than normal for the walls.  It worked.

The sauce is 6 in 1 Ground with some Red Gold whole tomatoes that I crushed by hand and drained myself for a little extra chunkiness.  I leave those hand crushed pieced pretty large, about half dollar size.  I use one 28 oz. can of 6 in 1's without draining and crush one 28 oz. whole tomato can dumping all the juice and draining them the best I can.  I combine those two together and pour them into some sauteed garlic.  I make a paste with two cloves of garlic using the side of a kitchen knife and about 1/2 t. kosher salt as an abrasive.  I sautee that in some extra virgin OO, about 1/2 T.  In goes the tomatoes,  about 1/2 t. basil, 1/4 t pepper.  Sometimes I'll add more salt but the salt that I use to smash and smear the garlic is usually enough.  That's enough sauce for two 14" pizzas.  I've found less is more when it comes to sauce, I don't want soup!

Loo

OK, everything from here down is the edit to the original post.

Here's the baker's formula for the dough and yes it does differ slightly from the referenced recipe above:

100% All Purp Flour
45% Water
15% Corn Oil
8% Olive Oil
.75% ADY

My 14" dough ball weighs 746g (442g flour) with a thickness factor of .126
I use King Arthur AP flour
I grease the pan (bottom only...not the sides, it seems to cause the dough to slide) with Crisco shortening.
A 14" gets exactly 1 lb. sliced mozz
I use Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage.

I combine the yeast with 110* water in the mixer but for some reason I feel I need to cheat and give the yeast a tiny pinch of sugar to get it jump started.  I know I probably don't need it.  After the yeast is fully dissolved I start adding the flour to my Kitchen Aid mixer until it starts getting pretty stiff then I start adding the oil and the rest of the flour.  Once it's all combined I turn the mixer up to a mid speed (4-5) and let it knead for 45-60 seconds.  I pull the dough out of the mixer bowl to add some oil to wipe around in the bowl for the rise.  Back in goes the dough, swirl it around to coat with the little bit of oil and cover with a tea towel.  In the oven it goes with the light on and a pan of hot water on the rack underneath it.  I punch it down after two hours and let it come back up again for another hour or two (until doubled again).  Then it goes into a ziplock bag in to the fridge overnight.  Pull it out about an hour and a half before I want to make the pie.  I slide it out of the bag and straight to the greased pan patting it out on the bottom as evenly as possible and then go around pinching it up the sides.  That's it.  Cheese it.  Sauce it.  Top it.  Good luck guys.

Loo

What's cook time? 35-40 min?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 04:03:19 PM »
What's cook time? 35-40 min?

Good question and sorry I didn't address it.  I cook it for 12-13 minutes and then give it a 180* spin and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline khuebner250

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 08:34:27 PM »
can anyone turn this into measurements?  I guess I'm not up to speed on how to break down the percntages.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
Khuebner250,
 What size pan will you be using width/height???

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 09:17:55 PM »
can anyone turn this into measurements?  I guess I'm not up to speed on how to break down the percntages.

What size pan?  Inner Dia. (both bottom and top), side wall height.  Can you use weights?

Offline khuebner250

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
14" x 2" and 16" x 2" are the 2 pan sizes I will be using.

Thanks 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 11:39:07 PM »
How far up the sides of the pans do you want the dough to go--1 1/2" or 2", or whatever?

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »
 Hi Khuebner250,
 Seeing that the 14x2in is the same size loowaters is using with the .126 Thickness facor i can give you a rough estimate. His dough ball was 746Gr and (flour 442Gr)
 Flour       100% | 442Gr | 3 1/2 cups at about 125Gr per cup  (approx.0 cups for allpurpose
 Water     45%   | 198.9Gr | 7oz.                          (approx.)
 Corn oil   15%   | 66Gr | 4.75 Tablespoons         (approx.)                    1Tb=14g
 Olive oil     8%   | 35.3Gr | 2.52 Tablespoons      (approx.)                    1Tb=14g
 ADY        0.75% | 3.3Gr   | .85 teaspoon
 line. I advise when measuring flour you scoop 1 cup at a time and scrape the top of the cup. This helps too get a closer measurement instead of measuring all the flour(3 1/2C) all at once.     Goodluck, Chiguy
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:18:54 AM by chiguy »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »
I cooked up another pie the other day and took some pictures along the way.  This is my 14" x 2" pan and I made a 3/4 sausage & pepperoni, 1/4 sausage & mushroom.   You'll see that I lay out my pepperoni on some paper towels and nuke it for about 30 secs. to eleminate some of the grease.  The sausage goes on raw.  The final pic of this post is before it goes in the oven.  Any questions about the process, just ask.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:29:57 PM by loowaters »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »
And then some pics of the finished product.

Offline one.nine

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
That is the most look alike lou's pizza I have seen on this forum. I used to live in chicago. I ate Lou's at least 1x per week for 10-12 years. Now I am in Miami. Pizza here is crap. My authentic Lou's Pizza pan was just delivered. Tonight I am taking the 24hr old dough out of the cooler, and making my Lou pizza. I'll take some pics and post next week. What pan did you use? and where is it from? Nice looking za, once again.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »
 hi one.nine,
 I can sympathize with you, i spent a year in Miami after living in Chicago my whole life. It has its perks but Chicago style pizza/food is not one of them. I agree with you about the  loowaters resemblance to Lou Malnatis pizza. I believe he is using a 14x2inch pan.
 In reply #27 of this thread i gave an estimate for volume measurements for this size pan.When making a deep dish it is important to use the proper Thickness factor. I believe .126  is the thickness factor loowaters is  using.

To loowaters: I am not sure if you would be online today so i hope i am correct about pan size and TF. I hope you don't mind.        Chiguy 

Offline loowaters

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2006, 09:53:56 AM »
That is the most look alike lou's pizza I have seen on this forum. I used to live in chicago. I ate Lou's at least 1x per week for 10-12 years. Now I am in Miami. Pizza here is crap. My authentic Lou's Pizza pan was just delivered. Tonight I am taking the 24hr old dough out of the cooler, and making my Lou pizza. I'll take some pics and post next week. What pan did you use? and where is it from? Nice looking za, once again.

Thanks one.nine

I'm using an American Metalcraft hardcoat 14" x 2" pan.  I bought it from a restaurant supply store.  Those places are usually pretty good with prices and because they're ording from American quite a bit, they'll just tack your order onto a larger order and you're not paying shipping for it.  I think mine cost about $18.

You Florida guys, I know.  I've been vacationing on Siesta Key since I was a kid in the mid '70's and I've never found a good pie there.

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »
This might be a completely stupid question, but it's a problem I've run into on my last 2 pies.

What are you guys using to get your pies out of the pans?  :-[ Both of my deep dishes have given me trouble. Thanks in Advance!
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 09:46:52 PM »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 10:22:51 PM »
Made this recipe using Harvext King flour.  It was great.  This recipe has 10% less water than DKM's Lou.  Next I will try DKM's recipe with 10% less water and Harvest King to se what happens.
Good Recipe.

Offline joebot

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 08:57:31 AM »
Ok loo, I tried your formula(well I tweaked it a bit) I chickend out on the 15% corn oil + 8% olive oil! ouch! and I used about 4 ounces Harvest king flour and the rest is AP. Results ??......................outa sight man!! really came out nice ^ see loo's pic thats almost exactly the way that it came out of the oven. I just barely mixed it in the KA mixer and hand shaped the dough into a nice tight ball and let it retard in the fridge for 24 hours for use last night.
Thanks for all your info, it really helped out!

Happy new year!

Joe      

Offline loowaters

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
Ok loo, I tried your formula(well I tweaked it a bit) I chickend out on the 15% corn oil + 8% olive oil! ouch! and I used about 4 ounces Harvest king flour and the rest is AP. Results ??......................outa sight man!! really came out nice ^ see loo's pic thats almost exactly the way that it came out of the oven. I just barely mixed it in the KA mixer and hand shaped the dough into a nice tight ball and let it retard in the fridge for 24 hours for use last night.
Thanks for all your info, it really helped out!

Happy new year!

Joe      

Congrats on making a great pizza!!!

That's OK that you chickened out on the oil but for coming really close to the original you gotta try it.  I've mentioned it in a few posts that I did change the oil percentages upping the corn to 19% and dropping the olive to 4%.  That adjustment is what I think really did the trick and made (at least to my taste) an exact duplicate of Malnati's crust.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »
Beautiful! ;D

Offline chiguy

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »
 For sauce on Lou's(Malnati) try whole peeled tomatoes in puree. They should be halfed and deseeded but returned back to the puree. Then take a couple scooped of tomatoes in the puree right onto the pizza. After that spread the tomatoes and firmly press them into the cheese slices. The only seasoning that is needed is about 1/8 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese right over the top of the tomatoes, thats it! I saw Lou's do it this way on WGN a couple weeks back. I tried it this way and the sauce/topping was very, very close. Next time i bake one i will post a pic.    Chiguy