Author Topic: Todays Bake - Neapolitan dough/Sundried tomato sauce/meatballs  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Todays Bake - Neapolitan dough/Sundried tomato sauce/meatballs
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »
Here are some photos of the pies I made today trying out a sun-dried tomato sauce which I made from dried tomatoes from my garden. It was O.K., but in comparison to sauce made with chopped fresh San Marzanos, it was disappointing.  The low-moisture PollyO mut6z ad some shredded parm were also a little dull. The crust, which you can see I like very puffy, was perfect.

You can see a little of my method from the photos below. The oven (which has a new facade) was humming along at around 950F. Bake time was 60 seconds.

Bill/SFNM

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:04:32 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
Re: Todays Bake - Neapolitan dough/Sundried tomato sauce/meatballs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:24:42 PM »
Bill,

The new facade looks great!  Very classy.
Thanks for posting the dough pictures - it's good to know that (at least from looks) mine looks about the same.

Two questions for you?
1) I noticed your coals are on all sides of the oven which is different than the "recommended" strategy of pushing the wood/coals to just one side.  Does this get the oven hotter and allow for the faster cook time?

2) What do you put your tools in.  I can't see it in the picture, but I'm trying to find something to buy to keep my tools in outside.

Arthur.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:01:10 PM by Arthur »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »
Two questions for you?
1) I noticed your coals are on all sides of the oven which is different than the "recommended" strategy of pushing the wood/coals to just one side.  Does this get the oven hotter and allow for the faster cook time?

2) What do you put your tools in.  I can't see it in the picture, but I'm trying to find something to buy to keep my tools in outside and I don't want something silly like a garbage can.

Arthur:

1) Pushing them to one side gives more room for adjusting the location of the pie further away from the coals to slow down cooking. Coals on both sides is more fun!

2) Below i is a photo of how I store my tools - just two pieces leftover from when I built the chimney. Someday I may do something more visually appealing, but this works fine for now.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:48:26 PM »
Hi Bill,

Yes, the crust does look perfect. I'm sure I could find this by searching...but what kind of oven do you have? Did you install it yourself?  Thanks.
- Lido

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 02:11:14 AM »
...but what kind of oven do you have? Did you install it yourself?

Lido,

I built it myself from a kit from Earthstone.

Bill/SFNM

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »
so bill, you are doing a bulk rise, room temp?  then balling/scaling and using flour in your tubs.  this is a part of the process that im working on right now, but i am using a long fridge rise.  how much more do you let the dough rise after scaling, before cooking?  In the end have you found that a double rise produces your best results?  thanks -marc

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 02:02:41 PM »
so bill, you are doing a bulk rise, room temp?  then balling/scaling and using flour in your tubs.  this is a part of the process that im working on right now, but i am using a long fridge rise.  how much more do you let the dough rise after scaling, before cooking?  In the end have you found that a double rise produces your best results?  thanks -marc

marc,

This batch had:

1. bulk room-temp rise - 8 hours
2. bulk retard in refrigerator - 2 days
3. scale and ball and place in tubs and proof at room temp - 4 hours
4. stretch, top, and bake - 60 seconds
5. eat - 15 seconds  ;)

Yes, I think the double rise produces the best results for my taste. As you can see from the photos, a very puffy edge is what I prefer.

Bill/SFNM

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:49:13 PM »
The pictures show the wood with this cool electric purple color.  What kind of wood is that :-D  It looks radioactive.  I have this nice copper fire extinguisher that I use for a tool holder.  You can see on the right of the copper oven.  It's a replica.  And yes that is a gas fired oven to the left. I know some is going to ask.  It works very good too and you can burn wood with it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 09:50:55 PM by JPY »
-JP-

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »
The "radioactive" color is a result of me playing around with the settings on my camera. The wood is just regular oak, but Los Alamos National Lab isn't far away so you never know.  :)

That is just a beautiful oven. Looks like a space ship!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
JPY, is that an Earthstone 90-PAGW? When you use it with gas can you get the surface up to 900 degrees or does that require wood?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:19:34 PM by Lido »
- Lido

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:33:33 PM »
The gas one in the picture is a 130-PAGW, the copper oven is a 90-PA.  Getting the floor to 900 maybe a little difficult with the standard gas burner I could always put larger jets to reach that kind of heat.  You can always use the wood in the gas oven too, just do not use the gas to light the wood. With wood you have the advantage of heating right in the middle of the floor.
-JP-

pizzapan