Author Topic: Panzarotti  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Natephish

Panzarotti
« on: December 16, 2006, 02:37:52 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzarotti

A panzarotti is a type of Italian dish popularized in the United States, especially in South Jersey. It consists of a pocket of dough filled with a generous portion of melted mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and any number of fillings, which is then wrapped shut and deep-fried. The panzarotti rises during this process, creating a pocket containing a considerable amount of steam which needs to be partially dissipated before one can eat the panzarotti. Baked panzarottis also exist, although they are considerably less popular and are more like stromboli than anything else.

Anyone ever had one?  Do you think the dough is just deep-fried pizza dough?  They looks like those "pizza rolls" that are always sold frozen.  Sounds pretty good to me, although I'm sure I don't need the EXTRA calories.  A deep fried pizza... someone wanna give it a stab?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Panzarotti
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:53 AM »
As it is described in the quote, Panzarotti are the Puglian type, filled with tomatoes. It is just a variation of fried pizza/calzone I have so often show on this forum.. However some times in puglia, these are made with un-leavened dough and/or a dough containing a percentage of potatoes.

Please Note that Panazarotti in Naples are quite often recognised as the neapolitan Potatoes crocquette.

Ciao

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Panzarotti
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:13:21 PM »
They are a very common in the old-line shop around NE Ohio in predominately Italian areas

pizzapan