Author Topic: reviews on pizza making DVD  (Read 4552 times)

Offline cherisa77

• I Love Pizza!
reviews on pizza making DVD
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »
Has anybody had heard of this pizza-making DVD? http://cgi.ebay.com/Pizza-Recipe-DVD-Tips-on-Stone-Peel-Screen-Oven_W0QQitemZ180064878129QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20475QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking of purchasing it. Does anybody have any reviews on it?

Thank you for your response and happy holidays
 cherisa77

Offline chiguy

Re: reviews on pizza making DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 12:06:49 AM »
 I cannot imagine that this woman will teach you anything you cannot learn right here at pizzamaking.com for free. The Secrets of a Pizzeria from a person who never owned one, how much is that worth??     Chiguy

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 12:12:05 AM »
 Varasano,
 So what do you really think about her?? LOL

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 07:15:20 AM »
reading her topics is like going through the forums on here.. it would be like if I read all the forums, picked out 10 or 15 topics and decided to make a video out of it..  i guess to a degree overlap is inevitable when you have forum covering such an expanse of pizza knowledge.. are there any good videos out that talk about pizza making?  some people are visual learners..

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 07:56:48 AM »
cherisa77

I won the DVD for less than $15 shipped - I thought it well worth the money. I'm also a paying member here and a subscriber to Bubba's homespun pizza site as well.

To me it was a few bucks in the never ending quest of a pizza I can make at home that suits me.

The lady in the DVD has never owned a pizza shop but was in R&D for Domino's for a while.

The DVD has good information on it and is well presented, no special tricks or information was presented.

I'm going to pack mine up and give it as a stocking gift to one of my older non-cooking daughters. If she following the DVD I'm confident she will be able to produce a fairly good pie for her kids at home for a few bucks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:35:22 AM »
I think it is unfair and uncharitable to criticize someone's work without seeing it. It may very well be that Ms. Collins' DVD is for beginners. But what's wrong with that? Most of our forum's members are beginners. At one time, we all were beginners.

I also know from email exchanges with one of our members that he holds Ms. Collins in very high regard. I hope he will excuse me for excerpting from his emails but he had the following to say about her:

She is a great source of information and is more than willing to talk via e-mail. Great lady. I tried to get her to join the forum, she might need a nudge from you. She has a lifetime of experience with Dominos Pizza in their test kitchens. She has helped develop cheese cultures for MidAmerican Cheese co-op. And helped set up franchises in Japan and other places.

Don't sell her short just because of the dvd. I think very highly of her.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:00:44 PM »
I often buy DVD's,books etc. related to this subject even though I know they are clearly not obviously going to appeal to my personal taste in Pizza,but you never know what latent tips they might hold.I've even purchased books in languages that I have no hope of understanding,just because of the imagery they contain and inspiration that may offer !I may be critical of authors,speakers etc.but I also believe that no one knows everything.I thought the pizzatherapy CD was poor value and dissapointing for example,yet I still came away from it after listening to Chris Bianco with a positive and reassuring opinion of him,so It was not a complete a waste of money IMO.
                                                                        David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »
I think it is unfair and uncharitable to criticize someone's work without seeing it. It may very well be that Ms. Collins' DVD is for beginners. But what's wrong with that? Most of our forum's members are beginners. At one time, we all were beginners.

Peter, I have to agree with you 100%. It appears the folks with the negative comments about this DVD have never watched the DVD

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 02:20:37 PM »
this chick is scary. stay far away. There's a video clip of her on her site, and she's a total idiot.

Gee, Jeff, she must be. In her FAQ she answers she's not teaching how to make Neapolitan style, and says if that's what you're interested in, to not buy her book, and instead refers folks to your web site.

:-D

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 01:58:19 AM »
Holy crap.  now that is funny. 

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 01:16:15 PM »
I've seen that ad before.  Last time, it was her SON that was promoting the DVD.  The "secret" thing you put in your oven is a pizza stone.

The "secret" licorice-tasting ingredient is probably fennel seeds.

I'm sure the DVD is of great use to someone who's never made a pizza before.

Cheers,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »

The "secret" licorice-tasting ingredient is probably fennel seeds

- Fio
It is Anise seeds you may be thinking of, they smell and taste like licorice. They use them  to give a licorice flavor too sauces, liquor, desserts etc...   
                                                                        Chiguy

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 07:39:36 PM »
chiguy,

It could still be fennel.  One of the main chemicals that provides the flavor in fennel is the same in anise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anethole

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »
Also, fresh fennel root can be chopped and sautéed to add a very pleasant licorice flavor to a sauce.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 05:37:19 PM »
I bought the video. It's not bad.  Much of the same information is available on this web site, but the video provides useful information and provides a helpful review of pizza making. If you can spring for the bucks, it can add to one's library of pizza knowledge.   Not indispensable but helpful.

bakerbill

Offline bnaylor

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:54 AM »
I bought Mrs. Colins DVD and have now watched it.  It was very basic for you pro's but she gave me a lot of great information, as I am also looking to learn from you all.  The DVD also comes with a 70 page on-line book with more detail.  I have not had a chance to go through it.   

I have a friend from work that is from Spain and has had pizza all over Italy and says that he has some great secrets for him to make a pizza.  It was funny because some of the things he said were straight out of the Collins DVD which he has never even seen. 

Offline Bistro

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
I'll agree Ms. Collins is very knowledgeable about pizza making. She had a lot of information to share I've watched the video and read the entire book several times. I think she helped me out in the beginning with a lot of inside info that I wouldn't have ever thought of. I appreciated a helping hand getting to where I am now. If your new at pizza making its worth buying IMHO.
Mystie

Offline tommygun722

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:08:23 AM »
chiguy,

It could still be fennel.  One of the main chemicals that provides the flavor in fennel is the same in anise.

I can't stand fennel, and that's what they put in some Italian sausage that ruins my pizza experience. It taste like black licorice. This is just my taste buds, a matter of what I like and don't like, but even growing up I only liked red licorice and for me, I don't want licorice flavour in sausage or on my pizza. 

Offline Gruffs

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
Kinetic Learning aka Monkey See Monkey Do.

People learn different ways - I for one, am not able to learn how to slap or throw dough by reading an instructional manual (even if there are pictures).  I learn best from watching youtube videos and the like.  It's just how I learn.

So, if someone learns from watching more so than reading - by all means look for those mediums of education that allow you to learn quickly, correctly and most important enjoyably.

Just my $0.02

-Gruff Brothers