Author Topic: Video for making Pizza Dogh ---Whaddaya think??  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
Video for making Pizza Dogh ---Whaddaya think??
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
I accidentally came across this website showing how to make pizza dough step by step..I think this is very informative for beginners like myself who have no idea what to do with dough. Tell me what you think:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-pizza-dough-2

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Video for making Pizza Dogh ---Whaddaya think??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:30:39 AM »
The video component of the recipe was impressive  and very well produced - clear and concise. I would guess this might be a very good dough for a newbie, although I would not use a rolling pin on the dough. Proofing and baking instructions should be added. Why don't you try the recipe and report back.

I'd never heard of this site. Some of the recipes I briefly viewed look interesting. Thanks for the link!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Yes, I will be trying this recipe, but due to time constraints, it won't be until another month or so before I am actually able to go out and buy the ingredients, plus a pizza stone and a pizza screen to be able to do it. What do you mean by "proofing and baking" instructions?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
What do you mean by "proofing and baking" instructions?

The final step of the recipe says:

If you aren't going to bake it straight away, it needs to be wrapped in cling film and kept in the fridge, for a maximum of 24hours.

Proofing refers to a second rise of the dough. You will get different results if you bake it straight away or keep it in the fridge for a while. And when you take it out of the fridge, you will get different results if you then bake it right away or allow it to rest at room temp for a while. You will want to experiment with how you treat you the dough after the first rise to see what treatment gives you the best flavor and texture.

The recipe doesn't mention at what temp and for how long to bake. The recipe implies that you will be baking it on the pan, not on a screen, but your  decision to use a stone and a screen seems to be a good one.

Bill/SFNM

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
If you search on the site for pizza there are baking instructions for a few types of pizza and a recipe for sauce

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:40:49 AM »
The final step of the recipe says:

Proofing refers to a second rise of the dough. You will get different results if you bake it straight away or keep it in the fridge for a while. And when you take it out of the fridge, you will get different results if you then bake it right away or allow it to rest at room temp for a while. You will want to experiment with how you treat you the dough after the first rise to see what treatment gives you the best flavor and texture.

The recipe doesn't mention at what temp and for how long to bake. The recipe implies that you will be baking it on the pan, not on a screen, but your  decision to use a stone and a screen seems to be a good one.

Bill/SFNM

Well, I am just trying to do an American style crust, pepperoni and sausage pizza. I want a pizza crust like Papa John's/Dominos. I have been reading the threads in the American crust board and was not able to comprehend alot of the instuctions without actually seeing step by step how the dough should be handled. Hopefully, this recipe will prove to be a success for me. I will try this recipe twice, first with a pizza stone and the second time with a pizza screen, to see which is more to my liking.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:42:21 AM by Peggy Fair »

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:24 AM »
If you search on the site for pizza there are baking instructions for a few types of pizza and a recipe for sauce

I use Don Pepino pizza sauce and have been happy with it.  I also tried some pizza sauce from a local Italian market here in DC and that was good as well. I have seen the baking instructions on the forums but I needed an actual visual demonstration to show me how to handle the dough.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
I use Don Pepino pizza sauce and have been happy with it.  I also tried some pizza sauce from a local Italian market here in DC and that was good as well. I have seen the baking instructions on the forums but I needed an actual visual demonstration to show me how to handle the dough.

I think investing the $35 in Bubba's videos would be a good move for you, then. I've learned a few things from him, even though I've got a good bit of experience. Some folks aren't impressed with actually having to pay for knowledge, but I thought it was a reasonable cost. He will also put things together a lot better (in a much shorter time) than you can by attempting to read two thousand differing posts here!

He will certainly provide the visuals to get you going in dough making, after that you can play with and finesse it.

A few things - his dough recipe calls for a lot more yeast than most folks here work with. I think it was 2% by weight instead of 1/4% Also, most folks are dealing with higher hydrations in  the 60-63% range, Bubba (well, his dough) is 54%  He also uses a lot more oil. His dough holds together in a ball while proofing, I find it better for large quantity pizza parties than the super-slumping I get with hydration above 58%  www.homespunpizza.com

You might also consider Bev Collins' www.pizzeriasecrets.com   Folks seem to also be down on her, but once again, she puts things togther in a short time, so it is valuable to a beginner. Not the best delivery, she's not a professional actress.

- Al

pizzapan