Author Topic: peculiar taste in pizza  (Read 9067 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: peculiar taste in pizza
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 01:28:43 AM »
What I am stubbornly refusing to do is absolve the accusation you're thrusting by breaking the English language.  I am not going to placate to someone supporting such a diminishing notion.

- red.november

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 04:37:38 AM »
I'm a big fan of olive oil. (I also like olives.)
Me too...  :)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
What I am stubbornly refusing to do is absolve the accusation you're thrusting by breaking the English language.  I am not going to placate to someone supporting such a diminishing notion.

- red.november

Yes, clearly only an English expert would think the concept of highly refined, unrefined Extra Virgin Olive Oil isn't an oxymoron. I even stuck all the adjectives up front this time to make you happy.

Steve

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
I made a couple 14" pizzas  tonight.  They were quite good.  I used some extra light Bertolli olive oil for the dough and sauce and the funny taste is gone.  I also tried out my modified bread maker to knead the dough and it worked perfect.  I modified it so that it kneads whenever it is plugged in.  No more heating element or having to wait 30 minutes for it to start kneading.  Took like 5 minutes of kneading to make perfect dough.  I dont have any pictures unfortunately.  My digital camera doesn't work anymore.
Ryan

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »
I made a couple 14" pizzas  tonight.  They were quite good.  I used some extra light Bertolli olive oil for the dough and sauce and the funny taste is gone. 
Great news!  :D
Have you tried to compare the taste of the two oils "uncooked"? I mean just a drop of each to see if you notice any difference or peculiar taste in the first one when compared to the extra light Bertolli?

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
Yes, that is good to hear.  I had a feeling changing oils would make a difference.  The largest cause of problems I've had in the past with unwanted flavors has been because of either oils that go rancid too fast, oils that easily polymerize, or olive oils that are too crude and smoke prematurely.

- red.november

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »
I use Kirkland extra virgin olive oil from Costco in both my dough and my sauce

FYI - I use the Kirkland Extra Virgin in my dough, at temps up to 500 F and have had no issues with it.  My sicilain is dripping in it and cooked for over 12 minutes at 475 F, until the bottom of the crust is lightly fried. 

This is my opinion only.  All of our palates are calibrated differently.

Jack