Author Topic: Good white pizza recipe? NY style  (Read 6518 times)

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
Good white pizza recipe? NY style
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
I am looking for a good white pizza recipe. My wife and I used to live in Alpharetta, GA just north of Atlanta and their was a place called Carmines where we would get some white pizza by the slice. I am lookling to replicate it to the best of my ability, but I am not sure what goes on a white pizza in place of sauce.
The reason we both liked it is because they would have big dollups of ricotta cheese in the pie. Anyone know some good recipes for whie pizza with ricotta?

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Good white pizza recipe? NY style
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »
alm99,

A winning Californian team in a national pizza competition a year or two ago made a white sauce from sour cream and cream cheese.  The rest of the pizza was topped with primarily provolone cheese and several kinds of mushrooms.  I have made a sauce like this in the past, with a little oregano, garlic, and crushed red pepper.  Somewhere on this forum, I believe Peter has a greek pizza that might fit your bill.  Alfredo sauce is also common when chicken or spinach is used as a topping.

- red.november

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »
heh, there's something wrong about sour cream on a pizza in the NY style thread.  This place in Hackensack called Brooklyn's Coal Oven pizzeria makes a great white pie.  They are actually nephews of Patsy Grimaldi.  Well anyway, it's a pie that has fresh mozzerella, garlic, and ricotta.  I would suggest you put grated Mozz on first.  Then put small slabs of ricotta on top of it (so it melts better).  Then sprinkle some garlic on it before it goes into the oven. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:32:24 PM by BenLee »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
heh, there's something wrong about sour cream on a pizza in the NY style thread.  This place in Hackensack called Brooklyn's Coal Oven pizzeria makes a great white pie.  They are actually nephews of Patsy Grimaldi.  Well anyway, it's a pie that has fresh mozzerella, garlic, and ricotta.  I would suggest you put grated Mozz on first.  Then put small slabs of ricotta on top of it (so it melts better).  Then sprinkle some garlic on it before it goes into the oven. 

Wouldn't anything other than a red sauce pizza be unusual for a New York style pizza?  I responded under the assumption that it was the crust that was New York style, not the rest of the pizza.

Offline alm99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »

Any oil brushed onto the dough before the cheese goes on?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 06:28:49 PM »
alm99,

Here is a typical recipe for alfredo sauce for use on pizza: http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/pizza_sauce_recipes.html. You can alter it in many ways to cut cost and/or to reduce fat levels if that is a concern. For example, you can make a roux of equal amounts of white flour and butter or margarine, and use light cream or milk (or even non-fat milk) in lieu of the heavy cream. The Parmesan cheese is a mainstay. You can't really substitute for that although I have seen Romano cheese used. But the classic Alfredo sauce uses butter, heavy cream and Parmesan, maybe with a little freshly ground black pepper. The downside of the cheaper version is that it doesn't keep well. You might be able to refrigerate it for a while but it doesn't freeze well at all.

When the alfredo sauce is used for pizza, it is common to put mozzarella cheese or even a Jack cheese on top. Possible toppings are many: chicken, shrimp, broccoli, bacon, garlic, spinach, sautéed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, etc. For some other ideas, these PMQ Think Tank posts by professional pizza operators might help: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=28870, http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=25790, http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=10490, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=1146&highlight=white+pizza, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=810&highlight=white+pizza, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=753&highlight=white+pizza, and http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=219&highlight=white+pizza.

Peter

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »
Either I imagined Peter discussing a Greek pizza with Tsatziki sauce, or I just saw his post on a Greek pizza thread and assumed the sauce was Tsatziki without reading the thread.  I have more recently made Tsatziki for an olive (i.e. green and black), onion, and mushroom pizza.  I don't make alfredo pizzas anymore, but ricotta and alfredo do make a good combination.

- red.november

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »
Here ya go, ALM99.

http://www.pizzamaniac.com/index.php/archives/2005/08/02/white-pizza-moves-into-the-recipe-list/

This is awesome.  Don't go nuts with this.  Just paint it on and make sure it gets browned up in a HOT oven.

Mmmm!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
PizzaPolice, I'm betting that's exactly what alm99 wants, or else there isn't much need for a recipe (just slap the cheese on).

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
Yeah man!  It's good in an amped up home oven but way better in a wood fired oven.  Next to a pesto pizza with prosciutto and pine nuts, this is really popular. 
I've seen this recipe before in different places with and without the cream aspect.  Like Pete says, you need it to convey the richness and mouth feel.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »
Either I imagined Peter discussing a Greek pizza with Tsatziki sauce, or I just saw his post on a Greek pizza thread and assumed the sauce was Tsatziki without reading the thread

November,

I think it may have been this post that you were thinking of: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,508.msg4449.html#msg4449.

Peter

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
I thought I heard someone digging through the files.
A gyro pizza is on the menu for next time!  I can't wait to try this.
Thanks Pete.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:11 PM »
I think it may have been this post that you were thinking of: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,508.msg4449.html#msg4449.

That would be the one.  I suppose I didn't find it in my recent search because I didn't think to read further on a thread about taco pizza.  I'm a huge fan of Greek food and it caught my eye the first time I saw it, but apparently the location of the post wasn't logical enough for me to find it again.  Thank you.

- red.november

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:29:39 AM »
This pizza doesn't have any real "white pizza" sauce, just olive oil & garlic, but it's one of my favorites. And it has plenty of Ricotta on it. It's my version of a Pesto Primo from Pagliacci's Pizza in Seattle. You can see a pic and read a description in reply #8, here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26711.html#msg26711 Trying to reproduce this pizza was my primary reason for getting into making pizza at home.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:37:35 AM by AKSteve »

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
Hi alm99,

There are in fact at least 2 traditional NY white pies that have been around for decades. They come from Lombardi's and Totonno's. The Lombardi version has become the basis for what most New Yorkers consider as white pie because it is ricotta based, Totonno's is more personalized because Jerry Pero made his white pie strictly with hand-made fresh mozzarella. It was not on his menu and he only made for special people--like me ;D

The Lombardi version:
build a pizza in the following order:

chopped fresh garlic
fresh mozzarella, sliced
ricotta impastata* in dollops
pepper (optional)
Romano, grated
Parmesan, grated (optional)
fresh basil
olive oil drizzled over all before baking

* Ricotta impastata is key to authentic NY White pie as it is cream based instead of milk based and it is smooth, thick and very creamy. It has a much lower moisture content than regular ricotta and an incredibly rich flavor that is hard to beat. Admittedly, it is very difficult to get outside of NYC--even on a commercial basis. It is not sold retail. Commercial varieties are Pollyo's TLC and Grande's Il Pastaio. You can substitute regular whole milk ricotta that has been squeezed through some cheese cloth and allowed to drip off the excess moisture with excellent results.

Jerry Pero used to make this for me at Totonno's, they still make this pie by request, but it is not as heavenly as when Jerry used to make it for me, nonetheless, it is still a masterpiece.

For the pizza:

Lots of sliced fresh mozzarella
fresh garlic--sliced paper thin (Jerry insisted the garlic be sliced with this tiny paring knife just prior to preparing the pizza. The exact thickness of the garlic was always a point of contention between Jerry and Cookie (his niece and current owner of Totonno's) and they would fight like cats and dogs over it. It was like a comedy routine out of SNL.
black pepper
dried oregano
anchovies
Romano, grated
fresh basil
plenty of olive oil drizzled on top. Jerry used a gallon container of Berio olive oil which he generously waved over the pizza.

The result was a sea of molten cheese flavored to perfection, paired with his ethereal crust, it was almost a religious experience... The version they produce at the pizzeria today is damned good, but lacks the masters touch. I have this pizza on my menu as an homage to Jerry. My guys do a great job with too, however when I want that pie, I make it myself and handle the dough in the same way I learned from Jerry. I also bulid the pie and bake it exactly as he taught me and the results are very nearly as sublime as his. I always think of him whenever I make it.

So much of what the old timers were about goes well beyond the mere recipe, their touch and sense of timing and baking is hard to teach someone else.

Evelyne

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

I don't really find that necessary if you are making a white pie.  All those ingredients are fairly dry to begin with.  I only use oil to prevent a sauce from penetrating into the dough.  I think oil would go good on top after the pizza has cooked though.

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »
Here's a traditional NY white pie with broccoli.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3470.0.html

I use Ricotta, mozzarella, chopped garlic, olive oil, broccoli (steamed or blanched) and Pecorino Romano.

I’ve made similar pies with basil and spinach.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline chiguy

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »
I make it myself and handle the dough in the same way I learned from Jerry. I also bulid the pie and bake it exactly as he taught me and the results are very nearly as sublime as his. I always think of him whenever I make it.

Hi Evelyne aka SliceofSloman,
 I sure wish you had the time to post a picture once in awhile. I know i am not the only one that would like to see a your version of this old timers masterpiece.   
                                                                 Chiguy

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
Hi Chiguy,

I am insanely busy right now, but I most certainly will get to posting some pictures of the classics in the future  :chef:

Evelyne

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:53 AM »

Try olive oil with finely chopped/diced garlic.